Some Longhorn Names I'd Long Forgotten

Augustus

Browsing through YouTube, I came across the 1989 A&M/Texas game and aside from suddenly feeling old as fuck, I saw some interesting stuff, as well.  Including some names I had absolutely no memory of.

RB Adrian Walker.  Looks like he played 89-92, and reading up on him I discovered he had the 5th longest rush in Texas history (at the time of the article's publication in 2017), against UofH in that same year, 1989.

Also had no memory of QB Donovan Forbes, though this is as not as surprising as it appears that's the only game he started in his career, and I was drunk as fuck in the stands and shortly after the game couldn't even remember the final score.

I don't think I'd forgotten about Tony Jones as much as I'd just not thought about him in years.  Little dude may have been one of the fastest guys ever to step on a football field.

I found it interesting that on the '89 roster, Shane Dronett was listed as a TE. I just remembered him as one of the great DL members Texas had back then, along with Giles, Jeter and Patton.  

Winfred Tubbs ran the ball in high school for Fairfield, I remember watching him play against my Mexia Blackcats, but I only remembered him playing LB for Texas, but looks like he played FB at least during his freshman year at Texas.

The game itself was crazy.  Forbes gets intercepted on first pass by future All Pro Kevin Smith.  A&M FB Robert Smith immediately fumbles it back to Texas.  Couple of plays later Forbes gets intercepted again.

But the real crazy stuff began before the game, and even my drunk ass remembered this.  For some reason, the entire squad for both teams came out to the middle of the field for the coin toss.  The shit talking started and they began walking up on each other.  I remember squinting down at the field (I was on the 3rd deck for that game) and asking my buddy, "Wait, are they fighting?"  Sure enough, a nice brawl ensues.  Brando and Dooley talked about what a "bad reflection" on college football it was, as ESPN of course shows a replay of what nobody outside the stadium would have seen, given it happened during the commercial break.  "This makes college football look bad.  So pay attention, here it is!!!"  

I remember the bonfire and partying up till kickoff on gameday like it was yesterday.  Just mind boggling to me how many years have passed since then, as well as how vastly different the game is from back then.  

• Hook 'Em 4

10 hours ago, Augustus said:

Browsing through YouTube, I came across the 1989 A&M/Texas game...  Including some names I had absolutely no memory of.   RB Adrian Walker.  Looks like he played 89-92, and reading up on him I discovered he had the 5th longest rush in Texas history (at the time of the article's publication in 2017), against UofH in that same year, 1989.

Also had no memory of QB Donovan Forbes, though this is as not as surprising as it appears that's the only game he started in his career, and I was drunk as fuck in the stands and shortly after the game couldn't even remember the final score.

I don't think I'd forgotten about Tony Jones as much as I'd just not thought about him in years.  Little dude may have been one of the fastest guys ever to step on a football field.

I found it interesting that on the '89 roster, Shane Dronett was listed as a TE. I just remembered him as one of the great DL members Texas had back then, along with Giles, Jeter and Patton.  

Winfred Tubbs ran the ball in high school for Fairfield, I remember watching him play against my Mexia Blackcats, but I only remembered him playing LB for Texas, but looks like he played FB at least during his freshman year at Texas.

The game itself was crazy.  Forbes gets intercepted on first pass by future All Pro Kevin Smith.  A&M FB Robert Smith immediately fumbles it back to Texas.  Couple of plays later Forbes gets intercepted again.

But the real crazy stuff began before the game, and even my drunk ass remembered this.  For some reason, the entire squad for both teams came out to the middle of the field for the coin toss.  The shit talking started and they began walking up on each other.  I remember squinting down at the field (I was on the 3rd deck for that game) and asking my buddy, "Wait, are they fighting?"  Sure enough, a nice brawl ensues.  Brando and Dooley talked about what a "bad reflection" on college football it was, as ESPN of course shows a replay of what nobody outside the stadium would have seen, given it happened during the commercial break.  "This makes college football look bad.  So pay attention, here it is!!!"  

I remember the bonfire and partying up till kickoff on gameday like it was yesterday.  Just mind boggling to me how many years have passed since then, as well as how vastly different the game is from back then.  

• Hook 'Em 3

I've been friends with Donovan Forbes for 30 years. Great guy. Still looks like he could suit up.

We ran into Switzer one day and he immediately recognized Donovan and says, "If you'd played for me, you'd still be playing football." 

Guy had an arm. Watched him throw 90+ mph in an over 30 baseball league. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Cut & pasted from other posts, ...

Johnny “Lam” Jones,  1978 Olympic Gold Medalist, 4x100 Relay.

Lam scored eight touchdowns of 45 yards or more in his career in the burnt orange. On the track, Jones scored 29 points during the 1977 SWC Championships and ran a 9.85 100 meters during the 1977 Texas Relays.

His 9.85 100 meter time was not accepted for record purposes, as the cable to the time clock had been “spiked” by a shoe. 

Johnny won an Olympic Gold Medal at age 18, before he played for UT.  I cannot remember what other Olympic Gold Medalists played college football as a medalist at UT, or any other place.  While many are characterized with “Olympic Speed”, Johnny is one of the few college football players, if not the only one, with an Olympic Gold Medal to prove it.

IIRC, when he practiced for the 220/200 in high school, he would run down the football field, sling around the goal post, and run back. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Funny but Donovan Forbes was one name that came to mind.

I remember going to a party my freshman year and either Ken Hackemack or Stan Thomas (can't remember which one it was... they were hanging out together) was hitting on my date.  Took about a millisecond to acknowledge she was most likely not going to be my date anymore.

Speaking of rough football years given my time on the 40 Acres, who remembers this brutal game?  That was not a good day to visit Waco.

https://stats.texassports.com/custompages/sports/m-footbl/archive/stats/92/bu-ut.htm 

Edited by texasdago

Tight end William Harris:

W0100126-1_20140206.jpgx?w=712&h=600&opt

Kind of the beginning of our tight end jinx....Some combination of grades and injuries fucked up his career and he ended up at Bishop College, but still made the NFL, where his bad luck continued. Still he managed three years after missing what should have been his second year completely. Huge, fast, really good hands. A poster boy for the Akers downfall. He passed away in 2014 of Lou Gehrig's disease. 

Another jinxed TE: Brock Edwards. Early Mack signee from FW. Very talented but it seemed like he was kind of a dick and a total head case. Kicked off the team for some reason IIRC. 

Edited by MaybeACoordinator

11 hours ago, Deej said:

I've been friends with Donovan Forbes for 30 years. Great guy. Still looks like he could suit up.

We ran into Switzer one day and he immediately recognized Donovan and says, "If you'd played for me, you'd still be playing football." 

Guy had an arm. Watched him throw 90+ mph in an over 30 baseball league. 

We sure had a dry spell between Bobby Layne and Major/Simms.

Street was great, but not a pro style QB.

One after another 5 star did nothing on the 40 acres.  Remember Todd Dodge getting SO much hype.  He's a good HS football coach.

9 hours ago, PTINS said:

Cut & pasted from other posts, ...

Johnny “Lam” Jones,  1978 Olympic Gold Medalist, 4x100 Relay.

Lam scored eight touchdowns of 45 yards or more in his career in the burnt orange. On the track, Jones scored 29 points during the 1977 SWC Championships and ran a 9.85 100 meters during the 1977 Texas Relays.

His 9.85 100 meter time was not accepted for record purposes, as the cable to the time clock had been “spiked” by a shoe. 

Johnny won an Olympic Gold Medal at age 18, before he played for UT.  I cannot remember what other Olympic Gold Medalists played college football as a medalist at UT, or any other place.  While many are characterized with “Olympic Speed”, Johnny is one of the few college football players, if not the only one, with an Olympic Gold Medal to prove it.

IIRC, when he practiced for the 220/200 in high school, he would run down the football field, sling around the goal post, and run back. 

Seemed like a really nice down to earth guy.  Lived in Jester when he was there as a freshman.  Didn't really chat with each other, but we passed all the time in the stairwell.  Would give each other a nod or hi.

11 hours ago, texasdago said:

Funny but Donovan Forbes was one name that came to mind.

I remember going to a party my freshman year and either Ken Hackemack or Stan Thomas (can't remember which one it was... they were hanging out together) was hitting on my date.  Took about a millisecond to acknowledge she was most likely not going to be my date anymore.

How much were you drinking if you couldn't tell the difference between Stan Thomas and Ken Hackemack?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/26/2021 at 8:08 AM, RGBIII said:

D.D. Lewis was my favorite player as a kid

D.D. Lewis of the Texas Longhorns looks on against the North Carolina...  News Photo - Getty Images

Good lord. 

When we began to truly turn on Carl Reese in earnest on Hornfans, DD Lewis was one of the biggest complaints. His instincts were shit and he was largely useless outside of randomly landing on fumbles. There were so many people shrieking "trust the corchez!!!!!??" everytime one of us would write a new rant on Mugging Linebackers or the lack of LB development. It became a hysterical topic, and as this was unfolding, Katy was becoming more and more intertwined with Mack and Sally, and getting more and more controlling of the site's content.

It was during this period when a new week of photos from the prior game were released by the UT AD. Those would get subsequently linked to or posted on HornFans. One of the photos had a TB, with the ball, running directly to the right in the photo. Meanwhile, DD Lewis, directly across the LOS was in full sprint to the left, directly away from where the play was going. It was fucking hilarious.

I copied the image, wrote a thread title that said "A Picture Is Worth 1000 Words" and simply posted the photo without comment. The howling from the Reese/DDL defenders, including Tyrone Jones, who posted on the site, reached a very loud roar. There were 300 responses in less than 20 minutes. People making threats at one another, multiple people calling me a motherfucker for posting to which I didn't even add verbiage. Just a bonkers fucking thread. Texas must have lost that game from the prior weekend, thinking about the reactions now.

Katy ended up removing the photo and locking the thread. She then sent me a scathing PM about how sweet DD Lewis is and how hard Reese works and that I'd become mean-spirited. I'd hung out with her some by then and was like "oh come on Katy", and she then got super pissy and threatened to suspend for posting a fucking photo. The photo ended up also getting removed from the UT site, magically. Campus Loop(y), an echeese level shithead, became a moderator on the FB board shortly thereafter. That period is when the downfall of Hornfans began and posters started splintering to other sites, or attempting new sites. Probably 2003/2004. It all beget Shaggy, then Surly. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Here's a couple of names circa 1960. Duke Carlisle and Jimmy Saxton.

Emmet Augustus “Duke” Carlisle III is a former American football player who started as a quarterback and defensive back for the Texas Longhorns in the early 1960s. He was the starting quarterback on Texas' first National Championship team in 1963. In his final game, he set the NCAA record for most yards per pass completion in a bowl game and three Cotton Bowl records on his way to being named the game's Offensive MVP. He still holds the Cotton Bowl record for most yards per pass completion.

Saxton, (May 21, 1940 – May 28, 2014) was an All-American football and College Hall of Fame player for the University of Texas and a finalist for the 1961 Heisman Trophy. He played one year of professional football, winning one AFL Championship with the 1962 Dallas Texans.

I recall Saxton as a skinny 165 lb scatback. Seems like his career was cut short when he was laying on the ground on his back and some big ass defensive lineman decided to come down full weight knees-first on his chest. 

51T3hAuD7vL._AC_.jpg

Best part was in USA Today he was listed as WR so I drafted him just a tad higher in my first year of FFL. I was part of a league that had started given points for yards and receptions back in the touchdown only league days. Got WR catch points for basically an RB that loved catching the ball. Adding up points using the USA Today now that is old.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/26/2021 at 8:38 PM, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

Who was that big body RB who was a guaranteed short yardage guy,  Cody Johnson?

Loved that dude.

Agreed. Plus it gave the announcer (maybe Rece Davis) an excuse to say "He just got a face full of Johnson!"

Favorite player as a kid - Tommy Nobis  RIP

Chris Gilbert .. first RB in NCAA history to rush >1000 yards in each of his three seasons (before frosh eligibility).  Comparatively small, but tough as nails and dependable.

While teammate “Super Bill” Bradley seemed to get most of the notice (for any number of reasons), Gilbert was the engine for Royal’s teams of that era.  College Football HoFer ...

• Hook 'Em 1