Winterize Backflow Preventer

TwiceHorn

So, I have an in-ground backflow preventer.  Based on some of the talk in the winter weather thread, I decided I needed to "winterize it."  On the intertrons, it says close the upstream shutoff valve, turn the two backflow valves to 45 deg. and crack all the pressure relief valves.

Well, of course, when I go to the shut-off valve, the handle breaks off in my hand.  Crescent wrenches and channelloks are not making it budge and I am coming close to mutilating the bronze nub that turns the valve.

I talked to my sprinkler guy and he said don't worry about it, just close the upstream valve on the backflow and throw a towel in there.

Sound rational?

An additional data point.  We also have to have our backflows inspected annually (state requirement?).  Weirdly, we have two, one for fire sprinklers, one for yard irrigation and it's only the fire sprinkler that has to be inspected.

Anyway, that means I have a guy that is an expert on them.  He emailed me back, again, that it probably wasn't an issue but that closing one or both of the shutoff valves and doing a little insulation couldn't hurt.

The wild card is that neither of them probably has any experience with sub-10-degree temps.

Never could understand why shutoff valves are such a piece of crap.  Had every one in our small town replaced when autoreaders were installed, two years and handle rusted off.  Hey folks, steel handle and brass valve in a wet environment are a bad idea!  I guess metallurgists never heard of electrolysis like I did in grade school science class.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, AnTiM said:

Never could understand why shutoff valves are such a piece of crap.  Had every one in our small town replaced when autoreaders were installed, two years and handle rusted off.  Hey folks, steel handle and brass valve in a wet environment are a bad idea!  I guess metallurgists never heard of electrolysis like I did in grade school science class.

My handle was some kind of pot metal I think. White corrosion. Bronze lug though. 

In any event I don't think they employ many metallurgists at the valve companies.