2021 Texas Rangers

CowtownHorn

On 6/24/2021 at 1:12 PM, Jameslaw121 said:

I've been kinda out of the loop keeping up with the Rangers recently. Are we thinking Allard and Dunning as future 4/5 in the rotation?

I think so.  I think Allard is pitching a little over his head.  At least before the last start.  

Cole Winn should be in AAA relatively soon and then maybe a summer call up next year. (knock on wood)  He's better than both of them.  

13 minutes ago, DougO said:

Allard's overall season stats seem a lot better than he has looked. He throws a lot of batting practice wheelhouse looking stuff. I hope he pans out, but he reminds me a bit of Matt Whiteside. Showing some signs of progress, though.

Lulz at Matt Whiteside…”I’ll have the Whiteside with extra Hector Fajardo sauce”….

2 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Yep, most don’t watch anymore, but Joey is fucking hot as shit. 

Old man Doug will wake up & post Joey can’t hit at home. 

I never said he couldn't. I was referring to the actual split stats to that point in the year. It was fact.

Anyway, another good pitching performance, nice one for Lyles. Looked like the Rangers and Royals switched uniforms. It was kinda weird. But so is the Rangers winning a series, so I'll take it.

Well, hmmmm...., I wonder how the Rangers will still manage to fuck this up.

https://www.outkick.com/pirates-expected-to-pass-on-vancy-boys-go-underslot-at-pick-11/?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR1E8ZrUiYzm-xTtaQiyBui-hMup9DhRSXfz95hrnWbmTQnPnc3swV9RPAc#Echobox=1624889733

Pirates Expected To Pass On Vandy Boys, Go Underslot At Pick 1:1

by 5fec96bccd78d-bpthumb.pngGary Sheffield, Jr about 17 hours agoupdated about 5 hours ago 10 Comments

The 2021 MLB Draft begins July 11, and after quite a few mock drafts have been released, it’s becoming more likely that the Pirates pass on Jack Leiter and Kumar Rocker of Vanderbilt. That’s a bizarre move if you ask me, but it likely has more to do with money than anything else.

There’s a new No. 1 overall pick in today’s mock draft.

Be advised, Pirates fans.

Full first round projections here: https://t.co/WW30io8ozD pic.twitter.com/CsqcZPIVjB

— Baseball America (@BaseballAmerica) June 25, 2021

California high school shortstop Marcelo Mayer is now projected to be the No. 1 overall pick. According to The Athletic’s Keith Law, the team is “focused on position players.” That makes little sense since Pittsburgh is short on talent everywhere. Instead, they’re probably just re-enacting the draft success the Astros had with heavy position players like George Springer, Carlos Correa, and Alex Bregman.

Here’s how the money changes things

The Pirates have $14,394,000 in draft bonus pool money, the highest of any team in the league. That said, a player demanding the max bonus as the No. 1 pick would rack in $8,415,300 alone, heavily diminishing the remaining assets in the rest of the team’s draft.

So the fact that the Pirates want to steer clear of a money-hungry, can’t-miss star makes sense in theory — it’s just that the team probably shouldn’t play games this way. If there’s a star to be had, the Pirates should take him, regardless of the price tag.

Jack Leiter, K’ing the Side (again).

9Ks thru 4. pic.twitter.com/aX59JjIm8L

— Rob Friedman (@PitchingNinja) June 22, 2021

Kumar Rocker.

’nuff said. #VandyBoys | #CWS pic.twitter.com/AI3Q0mbAVQ

— Vanderbilt Baseball (@VandyBoys) June 25, 2021

There haven’t been any reports yet about what Kumar Rocker and Jack Leiter will ask for in next month’s draft, but we’ll know come draft day. I just can’t imagine this drafting style will land well with Pirates fans. That is, if they’re still watching…

From Passan

If you can get Marte, why bother with Gallo?

The upside is better. You get two years of control. And you may just be buying a player whose value is appreciating.

The consequences of baseball’s foreign-substance crackdown tend to center around the effect on pitchers. But imagine a hitter who was terrible against high-spin fastballs but destroyed low-spin fastballs. What’s going to happen to him when the average four-seam fastball spin rate of the league drops by 100 rpm like that?

We’re about to find out from Gallo. The MLB average on four-seamers this year is 2,300 rpm. Against fastballs with more than 2,300, he’s batting .176 and slugging .294 with one home run. Against fastballs under 2,300, he’s batting .303 and slugging .939 with seven homers in 33 at-bats.

The early returns are extraordinarily promising. Gallo has homered five times in his past three games and has 18 on the season. He leads all of baseball with 62 walks. He’s 27 years old. Yes, you’re likely to get low batting average with Gallo, but perhaps that changes with the spin, and even if it doesn’t, he’s still among the most productive players around — and one of just a few with present tools and even more in the tank.

The market for Gallo will start to materialize soon. It will be robust, as it should be. And Texas’ rebuild will continue with Gallo and Kyle Gibson, who may be the second-best starter available, leaving Arlington.

I hope he's right.  My kingdom for bidding wars over Gibson, Gallo and Kennedy

3 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

From Passan

If you can get Marte, why bother with Gallo?

The upside is better. You get two years of control. And you may just be buying a player whose value is appreciating.

The consequences of baseball’s foreign-substance crackdown tend to center around the effect on pitchers. But imagine a hitter who was terrible against high-spin fastballs but destroyed low-spin fastballs. What’s going to happen to him when the average four-seam fastball spin rate of the league drops by 100 rpm like that?

We’re about to find out from Gallo. The MLB average on four-seamers this year is 2,300 rpm. Against fastballs with more than 2,300, he’s batting .176 and slugging .294 with one home run. Against fastballs under 2,300, he’s batting .303 and slugging .939 with seven homers in 33 at-bats.

The early returns are extraordinarily promising. Gallo has homered five times in his past three games and has 18 on the season. He leads all of baseball with 62 walks. He’s 27 years old. Yes, you’re likely to get low batting average with Gallo, but perhaps that changes with the spin, and even if it doesn’t, he’s still among the most productive players around — and one of just a few with present tools and even more in the tank.

The market for Gallo will start to materialize soon. It will be robust, as it should be. And Texas’ rebuild will continue with Gallo and Kyle Gibson, who may be the second-best starter available, leaving Arlington.

I hope he's right.  My kingdom for bidding wars over Gibson, Gallo and Kennedy

Saw on some Ranger boards folks chattering about doing a deal with Atlanta sending Gibson and getting Shea Langoliers and a promising pitching prospect in return.  I'd take that in a heartbeat (will certainly expedite the move of Huff to 1st/DH as Langoliers is an elite catcher that is built for longevity there).  

25 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Saw on some Ranger boards folks chattering about doing a deal with Atlanta sending Gibson and getting Shea Langoliers and a promising pitching prospect in return.  I'd take that in a heartbeat (will certainly expedite the move of Huff to 1st/DH as Langoliers is an elite catcher that is built for longevity there).  

I would love that deal.  Probably means it won't happen

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

Oh hell yeah...

I was listening to Diamond Pod today and Tepid said that he had a scout give him a DJ Lemahieu comp for Jung.  Said basically he's good at 3B but his arm is just average.

Ultimately his best position might be 2B.  Doubt that happens but it's interesting.  

He's killing the ball in Frisco and Winn and Ragans have been named to the MILB Futures Game.  

Bad news yesterday about Carter and Roby.

We shouldn’t wait until the trade deadline to deal Joey; one of these insane hit streaks is the time to do it. It sucks because I really like Joey as a player, but given his age, contract, arbitration status, we’ll never get a higher return than right now. He’s Gorman Thomas with way better range and a slightly worse arm…

Edited by Ignatius