2018 Texas Volleyball

texasstrong12

24 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Gotta give this team credit. I thought this would be one our worst seasons ever but we still have a shot at hosting in late November. The Jenna Gabriel factor

Keep in mind that our last national championship team also featured a freshman from Hawaii, Kat Brooks.

Texas up 2-0 in sets, 6-4 in the 3rd.

edit: I guess Sarah Palmer was more important to the 2012 team than Brooks.

Edited by sushihorn

If we finish top 4 in RPI and win the Big 12 I think we will almost certainly get a top 4 seed. 

Elliott has to feel like he's playing with house money at this point after the Shook stuff. All these FR starters and he has them in position to be a top 4 seed and win the Big 12. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1

I have been critical of Elliott, but he's due some credit, I think, for this season, with all the freshmen.  I think I said somewhere upthread that he would earn his money this year, and I think he has.  You can grouse about the belatedness of the Gabriel/Shook change, but it's honestly bold as hell to switch setters 3/4 of the way through the season.

• Like 1

Crazy thing about next year is we will probably only have 1 upperclassmen starter (White). Correct? 

Elliott has to feel like this is the group that can get him a 2nd title. He has 3 more years with a lot of this group and the recruiting class coming in. 

Edited by texasstrong12

8 minutes ago, ruitxn said:

Logan replacing Sun has been a positive.  I admit I did not see that happening.  

It's somewhat surprising but not a real shocker. I think people forget that Logan was going to be the #1 recruit in the '19 class before she reclassified. 

Eggleston is as talented as any young player in the country. 

Edited by texasstrong12

46 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Crazy thing about next year is we will probably only have 1 upperclassmen starter (White). Correct? 

Elliott has to feel like this is the group that can get him a 2nd title. He has 3 more years with a lot of this group and the recruiting class coming in. 

Can’t wait to see Asjia and Brionne in the middle and see who ends up on the RS

Edited by Js1

46 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Can’t wait to see Asjia and Brionne in the middle and see who ends up on the RS

Brionne and Asjia should be a good tandem in the middle next year with Molly backing them up.

I'd like to see Katarina's arm swing get stronger in the off-season and see what she can do with better/consistent setting on the RS.  I think Elliott will give her every opportunity to earn her spot, but she will be challenged with Skylar coming in.  Skylar naturally hits better on the left, so there may be a lot of adjustments she may need to make to be effective on the right pin. 

It'd be nice to have Molly and Skylar come in during the spring time to get a head-start with their collegiate careers, but I don't think either with be early enrollees.

Setting will be interesting next season.  Will Ashley jump ship or will she stay and fight for her spot back?  If Jhenna does become the only other setter on the roster,  does Elliott find her a back-up or will he recruit someone who can actually challenge her for the starting role?  It'd be nice if Jerritt could pick up a transfer setter with Jhenna's setting skills but who can actually be a blocking presence in the front row.

Edited by TexasDPT

Watch the B1G this weekend. We need PSU to beat Minny or Purdue to beat Illinois to feel good about a top 4 seed 

Stanford 

BYU

Minny or Illinois 

Texas

Otherwise both B1G teams will bump us I think 

Edited by Js1

Hey y'all, I'm looking for one more ticket of any kind for today's game.

Looks sold out as of now. Website was doing weird shit last night and would only allow me to purchase one ticket at a time instead of the 4 I needed. It went offline for maintenance after I got 3 so ... yeah. 

16 minutes ago, texfan11 said:

I haven’t been able to watch the past few games, but I saw some comments about Hahn not playing particularly well (as usual)...wonder if instead of leaving or fighting for the setter position, Shook tries to earn her spot as the right back DS like Dalton did.

In Texas' system, that right back position has to pass the ball on serve-receive, serve, play back row defense, and will be the secondary setter on the floor.  

Shook only does 2 of those skills well (setting and back row defense) and the setting can be debatable. 

When Shook was the starting setter, the only reason Claire beat out Jhenna for that spot was because Jhenna's passing on serve-receive was holding her back, but Jhenna does every other skill better....(still confused why Jerritt kept Claire back there the whole season when he could have been developing Jhenna, but that point is moot at the moment.)

6 minutes ago, Lobo said:

What time does the bracket come out tomorrow and will we host the first two weekends?

Tomorrow at 7:30

Def first weekend, decent-ish chance for the 2nd weekend if Purdue beats Illinois tonight and/or the committee decides not to give the B1G 2 seeds. I think either we’re 4 or 5. Which matters a lot for home court 

1 minute ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Oh man. We are in BYUs section. We’ll play 29-1 Pitt in the third round then @ BYU in the QF. About as tough a draw as it gets 

Do what you gotta do to get to the F4. Wish we could get some of those early matches back with Jhenna setting. 

1 minute ago, texasstrong12 said:

I can understand BYU getting the 4 seed but the committee isn’t sending a great message about scheduling tough. Texas with a better RPI and SOS. If we only schedule 1 match with Stanford as opposed to 2 do we get a top 4 seed with 3 losses? 

Maybe. But when you’re looking at 4/5, clearly BYU having a win over Tree > losing to Tree. Even if we only scheduled 1 match with them and lost, BYU still has that win over them as the trump card. 

3 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Oh man. We are in BYUs section. We’ll play 29-1 Pitt in the third round then @ BYU in the QF. About as tough a draw as it gets 

If we take care of business and end up against BYU, I definitely think Miller being out makes things more interesting. I don’t know if we would rather face Illinois or BYU 

Just now, Js1 said:

Maybe. But when you’re looking at 4/5, clearly BYU having a win over Tree > losing to Tree. Even if we only scheduled 1 match with them and lost, BYU still has that win over them as the trump card. 

Yeah, but 1 match doesn’t determine the overall resume. What incentive does Texas have to schedule tough when a team below them in RPI and SOS got the 4 seed? 

If it’s just about stacking wins and only playing a couple decent teams that’s the route Texas should go if it’s rewarded. 

1 minute ago, texasstrong12 said:

Yeah, but 1 match doesn’t determine the overall resume. What incentive does Texas have to schedule tough when a team below them in RPI and SOS got the 4 seed? 

If it’s just about stacking wins and only playing a couple decent teams that’s the route Texas should go if it’s rewarded. 

I also think the plan was for us to split the home and home with Stanford but they won both matches. If we took care of business in Gregory both teams would be hosting. Good plan, poor execution