San Antonio Spurs 2021 Offseason Thread -- Wandering the Desert

Patrick Bateman

26 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

How the hell is a dude in his early 20s with two months since playing a game out due to conditioning?

Because the Spurs take conditioning extremely seriously. It's probably a message to him to get in better shape. 

Of course he could play if he had to.

1 hour ago, Pam Cummings said:

Tank job is long overdue.

I'm not sure how tanky we'll actually be. We might not be much worse than last year if certain young guys develop further like Big Body and Vassell.

Also - Thad Young can play. He isn't some throwaway piece. He's certainly better than Patty. 

I don't have high hopes for Dougie but maybe he figures something out. 

We'll be a lottery team again most likely but I wouldn't be shocked if we contended for a play in game. We'll be far from the worst team in the league. 

10 hours ago, ztejas said:

I'm not sure how tanky we'll actually be. We might not be much worse than last year if certain young guys develop further like Big Body and Vassell.

Also - Thad Young can play. He isn't some throwaway piece. He's certainly better than Patty. 

I don't have high hopes for Dougie but maybe he figures something out. 

We'll be a lottery team again most likely but I wouldn't be shocked if we contended for a play in game. We'll be far from the worst team in the league. 

We're the least talented team in the western conference and it's not really close. If you want to go further, we are the least talented team in the league. I would honestly trade rosters with every single team in the league.

We have some decent young pieces but zero difference makers. We have no one that can consistently create their own shot on offense. No size that has any talent, unless you consider getting sunburned a talent. And we just brought back Brent fucking Forms, presumably for the sole purpose of alienating whatever fans they still have left. The best thing you could say about thaddeus young is that he's better than Patty. Ugh. 

This is a race to the bottom. I think they will compete hard every night and hopefully the young guys grow but 30 wins would be overachieving. They aren't sniffing that play in game. They'd better not. 

31 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

We're the least talented team in the western conference and it's not really close. If you want to go further, we are the least talented team in the league. I would honestly trade rosters with every single team in the league.

We have some decent young pieces but zero difference makers. We have no one that can consistently create their own shot on offense. No size that has any talent, unless you consider getting sunburned a talent. And we just brought back Brent fucking Forms, presumably for the sole purpose of alienating whatever fans they still have left. The best thing you could say about thaddeus young is that he's better than Patty. Ugh. 

This is a race to the bottom. I think they will compete hard every night and hopefully the young guys grow but 30 wins would be overachieving. They aren't sniffing that play in game. They'd better not. 

That's a bit harsh. Spots 4-12 this roster is as good as most in the league. Spots 1-3 is where they are dramatically lacking. It's not clear they have a legit #2 guy much less a #1. Look at Boston minus Tatum, Brown, and Smart. Nobody that blows away the Spurs guys there. The problem is that instead of Tatum/Brown/Smart the Spurs have Murray/White/Keldon. I'm still bullish on Murray and Keldon but they're both probably best as a third banana long term.

2 hours ago, Tigersnake said:

Bryn Forbes. Did not see that coming.  Primo, McBuckets, Wieskamp, the Aussie, now Forbes... definitely prioritizing shooting. It's a bold strategy, Cotton.

Doubt Primo or Wieskamp spends much time with the big club unless we have a lot of injuries.  

This is probably what our depth chart looks like.

I probably wouldn't start McDermott and if you do, that's a sad testament of this team's talent.  But I think inserting Young into the starting lineup makes it a 1989 roster in terms of spacing and no 3 point shooting.  I may play Murray and Walker together. 

I'm also unsure if Aminu ends up on this roster or gets a buyout.  I'd roll with Young, because supposedly a good locker room guy and I think he could be worth something at the deadline.  Probably nothing big, but maybe a couple of 2nds or pick swap or something.  He can help a little.  

The Forbes signing is so Pop...... just makes no sense other than we don't have 3 point shooting.  Yea, we know but taking away minutes from others so Pop can play Forbes 24 minutes a game is going to be so frustrating.

• Hook 'Em 1

If Forbes is getting 24 minutes a game, I'll slam my dick in the door.  What is the point in having a youth movement if the yoots don't get to play? Better to be young and improving than old and bad. I hope Lonnie, Devin and Luca have locked themselves in the gym all summer and surprise the shit out of us.

3 hours ago, Tigersnake said:

If Forbes is getting 24 minutes a game, I'll slam my dick in the door.  What is the point in having a youth movement if the yoots don't get to play? Better to be young and improving than old and bad. I hope Lonnie, Devin and Luca have locked themselves in the gym all summer and surprise the shit out of us.

Say goodbye to your dick then.

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

2 hours ago, Radical Larry said:

Wheelin' and fuckin' dealin'. 

That Wiz team will be instantly better than the Westbrook clownshow they ran out last year. Good for them to not totally let Beal down. 

Dinwiddie can ball assuming he comes back strong and he should - he had a super long rehab. Would much rather have Spence than Russ at this point in their careers.

I watched some summer league after the Olympics and they may have drafted Primo for more than just the heb tie ins. Dude can create his own shot. I'm not going to jump to conclusions after one summer league game, but for an 18 year old kid, he looks at least like he belongs. Need a lot more data points but he's way less of a project than I anticipated. 

Siakam isn't going to move the needle. The Spurs have a plethora of complimentary players, but they desperately need a superstar 1-2 punch. In the modern NBA if you don't have at least 2 superstars you're not going to be competitive and the results of the last two seasons clearly demonstrated that relying on LMA in the twilight of his career and the playoff choker DeRozan to be the guys. The Spurs are officially in rebuild mode and the moves this off season  make that clear as day. They drafted an 18 year old SG over someone who could contribute immediately. Moving DeRozan for future picks/expiring contracts and cutting ties with vets like Rudy and Patty.

16 hours ago, Kermit said:

Primo has never seen a shot he didn’t like. 

Considering the other guys on the roster, I'm not sure this is a bad trait. I hope he jacks 25 shots per game on an 18 win team. They are going to need someone to take shots. Might as well be our 18 year old instead of Bryn Fucking Forbes.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Considering the other guys on the roster, I'm not sure this is a bad trait. I hope he jacks 25 shots per game on an 18 win team. They are going to need someone to take shots. Might as well be our 18 year old instead of Bryn Fucking Forbes.

I Guess If You Say So GIF