2021 Texas Volleyball

TexasDPT

I just look at Corn players and try to find something to dislike about them.

This is a less instantly dislikeable bunch than some past squads.

Maybe the youngsters and transfer(s) haven't had enough time under Cook to turn into Grapes-of-Wrath hags.

Edited by TwiceHorn

14 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Maybe the youngsters and transfer(s) haven't had enough time under Cook to turn into Grapes-of-Wrath hags.

I find it quite easy to dislike them because fuck Nebraska.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

44 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

One “go big red” chant from the crowd should be all you need to locate the hate, irrespective of what the actual team is doing. 

Saturday should be fun but I was always more worried about Washington. They had won 19 of 20, returned a ton from that final 4 roster last year, and they're big/physical at the net which often gives Texas issues. When Washington is clicking they can beat anybody as we saw in those first 2 sets. 

Either way, Nebraska is more than capable of beating us if passing/ball control breaks down but I think our middles and pins will give them a ton of issues like last year. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Looking at last year's match Texas hit .336 and Nebraska hit .171. 

I don't think Nebraska has the athletes/size on the block to slow down our middles/pins. Nebraska will have to serve well and be a lot better from a ball control perspective. Nebraska is good at both those things though. 

I gotta say, one coaching move Elliott has made the last couple of years has paid off, and that is the emphasis on serving.  God it was painful at times, and still is, but it helps a lot.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I gotta say, one coaching move Elliott has made the last couple of years has paid off, and that is the emphasis on serving.  God it was painful at times, and still is, but it helps a lot.

I was thinking about this. Not that I think about volleyball all that often, so things are novel to me.  Aggressive serving that results in an even number of errors and aces is a huge win, considering what the typical side out rates must be. 

8 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Saturday should be fun but I was always more worried about Washington. They had won 19 of 20, returned a ton from that final 4 roster last year, and they're big/physical at the net which often gives Texas issues. When Washington is clicking they can beat anybody as we saw in those first 2 sets. 

Either way, Nebraska is more than capable of beating us if passing/ball control breaks down but I think our middles and pins will give them a ton of issues like last year. 

Texas rarely has back to back bad games. It was 15-10 UW in the 3rd set and Texas scored 55 points the rest of the way to UW’s 25. It was an ass kicking after that point. 

Texas in 4 probably 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Texas rarely has back to back bad games. It was 15-10 UW in the 3rd set and Texas scored 55 points the rest of the way to UW’s 25. It was an ass kicking after that point. 

Texas in 4 probably 

The weird thing is, was Washington a "bad match"?  First two sets, hell yes.  Last three were about as well as we've played this year.

Still, I think your point is right.

Did y'all hear Salima saying that the practice the day before was kind of odd?  Said it was super-quiet, seemed focused, but not having much fun.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

The weird thing is, was Washington a "bad match"?  First two sets, hell yes.  Last three were about as well as we've played this year.

Still, I think your point is right.

Did y'all hear Salima saying that the practice the day before was kind of odd?  Said it was super-quiet, seemed focused, but not having much fun.

The first 2.5 sets, so a bad "half match."  We did the same thing in match 1 against Kansas this year.  

I noticed it with Fields and O'Neal kind of early on - they were both pretty locked in, no emotions on their faces.  Texas always rides their emotions - as we got better, the blocks, the aces, the kills got a lot more celebration from the girls.  It's okay to ride the emotion. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Lastly, looking at the recent portal news - PSU is about to get decimated.  Starting RS, L, S and MB are all in the portal instead of using their COVID year at PSU.  Don't quote me, but this may be the end for Russ Rose, he's 68 and PSU hasn't been much of a postseason factor in a while.  Retirement looms for the 7 time championship coach.  

Edit: Jenna Hampton would be a good get too as a transfer.  Her or Fleck would upgrade us significantly.  I'm a bit partial towards Hampton because she's a B1G libero, like O'Brien.

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TrashMaster G said:

f Baylor

The SEC will be happy to know Texas is used to carrying the conference banner in the postseason all by itself.  We've been doing it for a decade since Nebraska left, outside of the occasional year Kansas or Baylor helped shoulder the load. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

The talk on volleytalk has been what's been discussed here. Nebraska is a great defensive team but not sure they have the firepower offensively to hang with our pins/middles. 

Anything can happen in one match though. 

This seems like a fair assessment from a Nebraska fan: "As a Husker fan I tend to agree with the assessment, unfortunately. Last spring was also a 4 setter but it was a dominant performance by Texas. The Longhorns hit nearly .350 while Nebraska was held to under .200.  The addition of Rodriguez and a better floor defense makes this a closer match than last spring, but the Huskers lack the offensive efficiency or firepower to turn the tide in their favor. With someone different running the offense plus the youngsters having another year of development might lead to a better result next time around.  But this time it's still Texas in 4, albeit a more competitive match than last spring.  Hope I'm wrong."

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, WBT said:

Well, it became a bad half match.  At the time it looked more like it was a bad 90% of a match, as in we were 90% of the way toward getting swept.

No major disagreement. We were dead in the water at 10-15 in the third. 

I thought we were dead at 10-15 in the 3rd but I knew we were winning after finding a way to win that set. 
You could almost see it on the face of the coach at Washington. He knew it. 

His decision at 10-15 to not challenge the service out call when Logan may have touched it will probably haunt him for a long time.

1 hour ago, SATXHorn said:

His decision at 10-15 to not challenge the service out call when Logan may have touched it will probably haunt him for a long time.

They didn’t bother with replays since he didn’t challenge it but she didn’t noticeably touch it live or on the one quick replay before play resumed- to me at least. 

and the challenge he did use with the call of the ball being played over the net- that one seemed like a bad call that they let stand. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

14 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

They didn’t bother with replays since he didn’t challenge it but she didn’t noticeably touch it live or on the one quick replay before play resumed- to me at least. 

and the challenge he did use with the call of the ball being played over the net- that one seemed like a bad call that they let stand. 

That’s not reviewable.  Ball in or out, net violation, foot fault, ball touching a player. He tried to challenge something not reviewable but at that point he needed to gather his team 

Edited by Js1
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Kubik is a good player but we should have a massive advantage on the pins against Nebraska. 

Need Fields, Eggleston and Phillips to have a big match. Nebraska's block doesn't seem all that intimidating. 

I don't know much about Illinois, but I thought Nebraska's block was pretty impressive in that match.  Even if they weren't blocking to the floor they were consistently sending the ball back to the Illini side or getting hands on their attack.  Seems like there was one rally when the Nebraska block sent the ball back 3 time in a row against the Illini's left pin.

I thought Corn looked pretty solid. Their defense is salty and we better slow down their middles. Block needs to show up.  I think it's going to be dogfight. Hope I'm wrong.

Edited by sunset87