john kerry

joe  dillon

2 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Why is he doing this when there are reports that he is possibly considering another run at the White House?

you just answered your own question.  the second answer might be that he's attempting to protect his legacy.  this was one of his crowning achievements.  

16 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

you just answered your own question.  the second answer might be that he's attempting to protect his legacy.  this was one of his crowning achievements.  

If he's not in the administration he shouldn't be doing any negotiating, with anyone.

13 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

He wasn't negotiating anything.

Sure thing man. We'll use CNN's term, Shadow Diplomacy, instead.

Washington (CNN)Former Secretary of State John Kerry has been engaging in shadow diplomacy to try to preserve the Iran nuclear deal, a major diplomatic achievement of his, according to a new report.

Over recent months, Kerry has been holding meetings and speaking with big players in the Iran nuclear agreement, who, like Kerry, do not want President Donald Trump to withdraw the US from the deal, The Boston Globe reported.

Citing a person briefed on the meetings, the Globe reported that Kerry had met with Iran Foreign Minister Javad Zarif at the United Nations in New York two weeks ago, their second meeting in about two months, to discuss ways of keeping the deal limiting Iran's nuclear weapons program intact.

he former secretary of state also met last month with German President Frank-Walter Steinmeier, separately sat down with French President Emmanuel Macron in both Paris and New York, and spoke on the phone with European Union foreign policy chief Federica Mogherini, the source told the Globe.

Kerry has also quietly lobbied members of Congress, including House Speaker Paul Ryan, placing dozens of phone calls in recent weeks.

14 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Sure thing man. We'll use CNN's term, Shadow Diplomacy, instead.

Washington (CNN)Former Secretary of State John Kerry has been engaging in shadow diplomacy to try to preserve the Iran nuclear deal, a major diplomatic achievement of his, according to a new report.

Over recent months, Kerry has been holding meetings and speaking with big players in the Iran nuclear agreement, who, like Kerry, do not want President Donald Trump to withdraw the US from the deal, The Boston Globe reported.

Citing a person briefed on the meetings, the Globe reported that Kerry had met with Iran Foreign Minister Javad Zarif at the United Nations in New York two weeks ago, their second meeting in about two months, to discuss ways of keeping the deal limiting Iran's nuclear weapons program intact.

he former secretary of state also met last month with German President Frank-Walter Steinmeier, separately sat down with French President Emmanuel Macron in both Paris and New York, and spoke on the phone with European Union foreign policy chief Federica Mogherini, the source told the Globe.

Kerry has also quietly lobbied members of Congress, including House Speaker Paul Ryan, placing dozens of phone calls in recent weeks.

Please name one former secretary of state who doesn't engage in this type of activity.

We gonna bitch about Jim Baker now?

Edited by David Dennison

23 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Please name one former secretary of state who doesn't engage in this type of activity.

We gonna bitch about Jim Baker now?

Do you mean when he was appointed as an envoy by President GW Bush? With an official title and administration and congressional approval? 

Edited by PittsburghTiger
  • Like 2

Just to clarify the discussion, 18 USC 953, aka the Logan Act:

Any citizen of the United States, wherever he may be, who, without authority of the United States, directly or indirectly commences or carries on any correspondence or intercourse with any foreign government or any officer or agent thereof, with intent to influence the measures or conduct of any foreign government or of any officer or agent thereof, in relation to any disputes or controversies with the United States, or to defeat the measures of the United States, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than three years, or both.

This section shall not abridge the right of a citizen to apply, himself or his agent, to any foreign government or the agents thereof for redress of any injury which he may have sustained from such government or any of its agents or subjects.

Yes it is probably unconstitutionally vague and yes it probably encompasses activity protected by the First Amendment, so it is most likely unconstitutional.

And yes, it probably encompasses any activity of a political or diplomatic nature by a private US citizen with an agent of a foreign government.  Including most of the stuff discussed on this thread.

On 5/5/2018 at 2:12 PM, Jhawk said:

if he is coaching Iran and Palestine to negotiate against the US’s best interests shouldn’t he be arrested for undermining the US government? Especially given his political career? At some point this has to reach the level of sedition doesn’t it? If he wants to play diplomat then he should run for office or ask to be appointed as one. 

Maybe we can get Hilary to stick her nose into this affair -----------then all will be solved

• Like 1

9 hours ago, David Dennison said:

And the others?

You, by name, mentioned Jim Baker so I addressed it so maybe you should tell us all the other times former Secretary of State folks have gone off and done Shadow Diplomacy.

Condi Rice, don't think she has. Hillary Clinton, don't think she has. John Kerry-Heinz, yup.

On 5/5/2018 at 2:12 PM, Jhawk said:

if he is coaching Iran and Palestine to negotiate against the US’s best interests shouldn’t he be arrested for undermining the US government? Especially given his political career? At some point this has to reach the level of sedition doesn’t it? If he wants to play diplomat then he should run for office or ask to be appointed as one. 

He certainly isnt doing the US any favors.  Self centered ass

4 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

You, by name, mentioned Jim Baker so I addressed it so maybe you should tell us all the other times former Secretary of State folks have gone off and done Shadow Diplomacy.

Condi Rice, don't think she has. Hillary Clinton, don't think she has. John Kerry-Heinz, yup.

Baker has no authority granted by the Trump administration and he met with the Crown Prince of Saudi a couple weeks ago in Houston. If they discussed Saudi policy, which I'm sure they did, should he share a cell with Kerry? 

Edited by Lagunamadre

7 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Any private citizen meeting with officials form other states is doing his nation a disservice, and is very potentially causing problems.  Kerry is an effete asshole and always has been.

Don't read about Kissinger. Your head will explode. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

All of them. They all consult. They all lobby. They all talk to foreign diplomats once they are out of office. 

6 minutes ago, Lagunamadre said:

This has been going on forever. Did you just start getting upset about it when Breitbart started covering it? 

No... people get upset about it when there is a massive bitch fit thrown about an elected administration even talking to another country before being sworn in but someone who is no longer in government doing the exact same thing, and doing it very overtly, even when it is known to be against the wishes of the sitting administration doesn't even get a peep of criticism.  I want to see Kerry's foreign agent registration papers because we know for a fact that he didn't represent the US.  If he isn't registered then he should absolutely be charged with a crime.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

No... people get upset about it when there is a massive bitch fit thrown about an elected administration even talking to another country before being sworn in but someone who is no longer in government doing the exact same thing, and doing it very overtly, even when it is known to be against the wishes of the sitting administration doesn't even get a peep of criticism.  I want to see Kerry's foreign agent registration papers because we know for a fact that he didn't represent the US.  If he isn't registered then he should absolutely be charged with a crime.

Flynn, who did what Kerry did, was not indicted for meeting with the Russians. He was indicted for lying to the FBI. He also lied to Pence. Also his meeting was with a country who is far more hostile to us than Iran. 

The bitch fest also had more to do with the content of the meeting rather than the meeting itself, Flynn promised to remove sanctions to a hostile foreign state directly after an attack on our democracy. What was Kerry's motivation? Convince them to not get out of the deal? Keep them from developing nukes. 

Let's be rational here, what deserves more "bitch fit"? 

Edited by Lagunamadre

16 minutes ago, Lagunamadre said:

Flynn, who did what Kerry did, was not indicted for meeting with the Russians. He was indicted for lying to the FBI. He also lied to Pence. Also his meeting was with a country who is far more hostile to us than Iran. 

The bitch fest also had more to do with the content of the meeting rather than the meeting itself, Flynn promised to remove sanctions to a hostile foreign state directly after an attack on our democracy. What was Kerry's motivation? Convince them to not get out of the deal? Keep them from developing nukes. 

Let's be rational here, what deserves more "bitch fit"? 

He was investigated because of his behavior which led to an indictment.  Kerry has shown the exact same behavior with a country that has traditionally been an eney of the USA.  I say we put Kerry through the same investigations.  Then we use the NSA to determine exactly what he said to all foreign entities any time in the past or present during any meeting with anyone (since scope doesn't matter in these things).  If he mis-remembers something or lies about something then he can go through the exact same thing flynn is.  I think flynn should be roasted for lying to investigators.  I think all americans should be treated equally.  So let's give Kerry the opportunity to hang himself.  The first questions should be "what were you doing?" and "are you registered to lobby with/for Iran?"

Edited by Jhawk

25 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

Have you contacted your elected representatives?

4 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

He was investigated because of his behavior which led to an indictment.  Kerry has shown the exact same behavior with a country that has traditionally been an eney of the USA.  I say we put Kerry through the same investigations.  Then we use the NSA to determine exactly what he said to all foreign entities any time in the past or present during any meeting with anyone (since scope doesn't matter in these things).  If he mis-remembers something or lies about something then he can go through the exact same thing flynn is.  I think flynn should be roasted for lying to investigators.  I think all americans should be treated equally.  So let's give Kerry the opportunity to hang himself.  The first questions should be "what were you doing?" and "are you registered to lobby with/for Iran?"

Great. Interview Kerry. If he lies, indict him. Given the public nature of Kerry's meeting, I'm guessing it's not as nefarious as Flynn's. 

8 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

Maybe if Flynn started a "Lock him up" chant, that could speed up the process of arresting Kerry. 

43 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

absolutely  the case

So Iran is threatening to expose who they paid off to get the billions in cash in return for a supposed Iranian deal that was never actually signed. 

Is he just is trying to keep his name from being exposed? He knows that the "deal" (that never existed) is "history" and it can't be saved. Why else would he be scrambling so hard?

People who play with fire, get burned, or something like that.

Edited by Dolemite

18 minutes ago, Dolemite said:

So Iran is threatening to expose who they paid off to get the billions in cash in return for a supposed Iranian deal that was never actually signed. 

Is he just is trying to keep his name from being exposed? He knows that the "deal" (that never existed) is "history" and it can't be saved. Why else would he be scrambling so hard?

People who play with fire, get burned, or something like that.

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...

Former Secretary of State John Kerry made a few admissions in his interview with radio host Hugh Hewitt Wednesday. One revelation generating a lot of buzz is that, unbeknownst to President Trump, he has met with Iranian officials in recent months to try and save the Iranian nuclear deal, signed by President Obama in 2015.

Kerry has met with Iranian Former Minister Javad Zarif three or four times, while Trump took America out of the nuclear deal in May.

"I think I've seen him three or four times," Kerry told Hewitt.

He said, however, that his intention was not to "coach" Iran on how to manage Trump's rejection of the deal.

"What I have done is tried to elicit from him what Iran might be willing to do in order to change the dynamic in the Middle East for the better," Kerry explained.
In an interview with Fox News's Dana Perino Wednesday, Kerry did not deny that he was telling Iranians to "wait out" the president.

"I think everybody in the world is sitting around talking about waiting out President Trump," Kerry said.

Republican lawmakers are incensed by his admission, some accusing him of violating the Logan Act.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/cortneyobrien/2018/09/12/john-kerry-admits-to-meeting-with-iran-about-nuclear-deal-n2518338

On 5/12/2018 at 2:37 PM, PittsburghTiger said:

On 5/13/2018 at 11:45 AM, seven said:

It's amazing how willfully ignorant some of you people are 

It really is.

Here's the deal guys:

Its not illegal for Kerry (or anyone else) to advise foreign government about how to deal with the US, assuming you claim the income received on your taxes.

It IS illegal to lobby the the US government on behalf of a foreign government if you are not registered under the Foreign Agents Registration Act.

I honestly can't explain it in any simpler terms.