American Dream Feel Good Story- I Hope

sheeeit

I always love the pics or videos of hard working immigrants showing up to their kids HS graduations in their work clothes.    Dad is covered in dirt from doing brick work or washing dishes to see his kids have a better life.  Or the ones where the kids walk across the border in their gowns to see their parents.   Fuck yeah.  That's what this country is about and has always been about.   

• Hook 'Em 2

On 7/9/2021 at 11:12 PM, immortal13 said:

Dreamer? Sounds cloak roomy

does it?

i don't think it does. this is a thread about the american dream of an immigrant whose status is not clear. i love stories like these. we can take it to a cloak room convo if you want, but honestly, i just love it when people come here and succeed. i want that to continue and not be punished. it's a great story.

• Hook 'Em 2

18 hours ago, midtown said:

I always love the pics or videos of hard working immigrants showing up to their kids HS graduations in their work clothes.    Dad is covered in dirt from doing brick work or washing dishes to see his kids have a better life.  Or the ones where the kids walk across the border in their gowns to see their parents.   Fuck yeah.  That's what this country is about and has always been about.   

I've had people apologize for showing up to an( entry level) interview in their work clothes.

You just aced the first question.  Moving on, now...

10 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

does it?

i don't think it does. this is a thread about the american dream of an immigrant whose status is not clear. i love stories like these. we can take it to a cloak room convo if you want, but honestly, i just love it when people come here and succeed. i want that to continue and not be punished. it's a great story.

Whenever I hear one of these stories, I am curious about the "strings pulled" (OPs' term) to legalize citizenship.

The normal path to permanent residency and citizenship is difficult, so I am always curious.  I think military service has been a common route in the past.

13 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

does it?

I hate the CR but would absolutely be interested if he was a dreamer.  This story is the idea behind the program. 

2 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

does it?

I want

On 7/9/2021 at 9:37 PM, Larry T. Spider said:

Is the wife teaching at a private school? She can start at 50+ in public school and get a 6k stipend if she is bilingual.

Appreciate all of the responses.  

I am not sure where she is teaching.  I did not talk to her directly about it as I was just talking with the dad.  However, I am going to pass on a note to the dad.  An extra $1,000/month would be huge for them.  Thanks

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Whenever I hear one of these stories, I am curious about the "strings pulled" (OPs' term) to legalize citizenship.

The normal path to permanent residency and citizenship is difficult, so I am always curious.  I think military service has been a common route in the past.

Honestly, I purposefully did not ask too many questions about the citizenship.  There are a few smaller law firms around (they do not really advertise) that specialize in nothing but green cards and citizenship.  We used one of them (their primary customers are from the horse racing industry).  The legal fees were about $6,000.  He still had to take the test but he received citizenship which then automatically granted citizenship on his family.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, sheeeit said:

Appreciate all of the responses.  

I am not sure where she is teaching.  I did not talk to her directly about it as I was just talking with the dad.  However, I am going to pass on a note to the dad.  An extra $1,000/month would be huge for them.  Thanks

I’m the principal of an elementary school. Let me know if she ever needs anything.

I have a lot of respect for a lot of these folks - I was banging this single mom with two daughters from some Central American country.  She had moved up here and lived with her extended family in a mobile home (granted it was a double-wide, but it's still a lot of people in a mobile home), and she came here speaking no English.  She went to UT and earned an MIS degree, and went on to NYU and earned an MBA.  She was an extremely hard worker.  Need to look her up and see what she's done since NYU.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I have a lot of respect for a lot of these folks - I was banging this single mom with two daughters from some Central American country.  She had moved up here and lived with her extended family in a mobile home (granted it was a double-wide, but it's still a lot of people in a mobile home), and she came here speaking no English.  She went to UT and earned an MIS degree, and went on to NYU and earned an MBA.  She was an extremely hard worker.  Need to look her up and see what she's done since NYU.

Well..... hopefully she's found a better class of boyfriends ....

heeeeeey ohhhhhhh.....

• Like 1