American Dream Feel Good Story- I Hope

sheeeit

6 minutes ago, mchookem said:

well that's fantastic!

my only concern... construction management? he's aggy, isn't he 😜

Ha! No.  Started at a Community College and then went to a 4 year school.  Not Aggy.  Community College was tuition free and, based on his grades there, he had a scholarship to finish.  Not trying to be coy but it is not my place to give out their personal info.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, sheeeit said:

Wasn't sure where to put this but I chose here because it really shouldn't be at all political.  So much negative shit here I thought we could use a little positivity.

I wanted to brag on a friend's son.  I worked with the father for many years.  He and his wife were both undocumented from Guatemala and came here 18 years ago when their son was 5.  I watched the son grow up and provided the occasional guidance when asked- sometimes harsh and sometimes easy.

I was at the son's wedding last weekend (he is now 23).  He studied construction management in college, worked for various firms in the summers, graduated and was just hired starting at $60,000 (being bilingual certainly helped).  His wife (also Hispanic) also just graduated with a teaching degree and starts in August at $37,000.  

Had some tequila with the dad and he commented that he did not think this would have been possible in any country but America.  I am sure there are other countries this could happen in but probably not for a poor immigrant form Guatemala.  18 years ago his family was destitute and now his son and wife make nearly $100K combined.  The tears were plentiful.

So no politics but, in this particular case, proud of the people involved tremendously and proud of America too.

I personally know several people with stories similar to this and it’s fucking awesome.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, sheeeit said:

Wasn't sure where to put this but I chose here because it really shouldn't be at all political.  So much negative shit here I thought we could use a little positivity.

I wanted to brag on a friend's son.  I worked with the father for many years.  He and his wife were both undocumented from Guatemala and came here 18 years ago when their son was 5.  I watched the son grow up and provided the occasional guidance when asked- sometimes harsh and sometimes easy.

I was at the son's wedding last weekend (he is now 23).  He studied construction management in college, worked for various firms in the summers, graduated and was just hired starting at $60,000 (being bilingual certainly helped).  His wife (also Hispanic) also just graduated with a teaching degree and starts in August at $37,000.  

Had some tequila with the dad and he commented that he did not think this would have been possible in any country but America.  I am sure there are other countries this could happen in but probably not for a poor immigrant form Guatemala.  18 years ago his family was destitute and now his son and wife make nearly $100K combined.  The tears were plentiful.

So no politics but, in this particular case, proud of the people involved tremendously and proud of America too.

THAT my friend, is America right there.

America ....... Fuck yeah !!!!!

• Hook 'Em 4

32 minutes ago, sheeeit said:

that is a fantastic story. really underlines why i think immigration should be easier and more widespread.

quick question: does that mean that the successful son is a dreamer?

• Hook 'Em 6

22 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

that is a fantastic story. really underlines why i think immigration should be easier and more widespread.

I am not sure which laws/acts (DREAM/DACA etc) are actually in place anymore.  We pulled some strings and the dad got his citizenship about 8 years ago.

55 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

I bet his undocumented father already has and he certainly will pay more taxes and general make a net positive contribution than many ninth generation full blooded Americans. We definitely should have built the wall and kept them out. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 6

2 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I bet his undocumented father already has and he certainly will pay more taxes and general make a net positive contribution than many ninth generation full blooded Americans. We definitely should have built the wall and kept them out. 

STFU.  Just fucking stop.  God damn it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Someone had to go and take a giant, steamy, five rest ring dump on the story by politicizing it.  

Everything must be politicized.

Not somethings  

Everything.   

Congrats, JR. 

1 hour ago, sheeeit said:

I love it when people succeed.  I am very happy for them.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, mchookem said:

well that's fantastic!

my only concern... construction management? he's aggy, isn't he 😜

I was about to make the same comment because a new aggy in the world is never a reason to celebrate.

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

It doesn't have to be political, if true.  It's simply an illustration of the value the US can derive from immigration.  Legal or not, immigrants are a huge net positive in this country.

With a response of this;

1 hour ago, deadshank said:

Someone had to go and take a giant, steamy, five rest ring dump on the story by politicizing it.  

Everything must be politicized.

Not somethings  

Everything.   

Congrats, JJ 

STFU

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Incredulity said:

With a response of this;

STFU

I didn’t congrat JJ.  My post was directed to JR.   Somebody done edited it.  

Commenting on the OP’s post there is no need to make political points and compare the noble immigrant to the worthless natural-born citizen as there is no call for comparing the productive natural-born citizen to a free-loading immigrant.  

Let the OP’s post stand on its own as a great story about people that made a place for themselves.  It is a thrilling and inspiring feeling.  I’ve got a BIL that is an immigrant and I’m proud as all get out of him.   He set his sights on getting to America and he did it all on his own.  Shear balls, guts and grit.

And he was crazy enough to marry my lunatic sister.  He should get special federal tax credits just for that act of valor alone.   

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Larry T. Spider said:

Is the wife teaching at a private school? She can start at 50+ in public school and get a 6k stipend if she is bilingual.

Pretty sure public teacher's salaries are largely dependent on district. So sure, she can. But probably depends on where they live. And I'm guessing in a lot of parts of Texas being bilingual doesn't exactly separate you from the pack. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I did some basic searches of small town teacher salary schedules and was not able to find anything under 40k. Anything near a city is close to 50k. Austin ISD is currently starting at 51k with a 6k bilingual stipend.

Of course you are making 53,500 after 10 years but that’s a different story….

Don’t know what particular construction he’s in, but if he can squeak his way in with the engineers in O&G he’ll double that salary in 4 years.  Of course he’ll have to live in Houston and getting married that young probably stifles the travel you’d have to commit to for that ascent.  But it can be done, especially with the drive he appears to have.  Congratulations to your family friends, OP. 

For many, many people outside of the US, America is still the beacon of hope, where hard work and a little luck can change the fortunes for a family or at very the least put food on the table and violence far away.

If you ever need reminding what America is and how important it is that it still be the beacon of light, just talk to a few immigrant parents. They'll tell you exactly why America is the greatest country on earth and why so many risk their lives to bring their families here.

Good for this family.  America gave them the opportunity, with their determination, they helped keep America great.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

Fucking awesome. As fucked up as our shit currently is, I do believe we live in the best country this planet has ever seen. Cheers!
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, Incredulity said:

With a response of this;

STFU

Why did you quote deadshank and then edit the quote to make it look like he was referring to me ("JJ") when he clearly was referring to someone else (J.R.)?

If you want people to take you seriously you're gonna have to quit playing the troll.  Of course, trolls don't want to be taken seriously, so that sort of self-resolves, but it was a dick move on your part.  Negged.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

12 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Why did you quote deadshank and then edit the quote to make it look like he was referring to me ("JJ") when he clearly was referring to someone else (J.R.)?

If you want people to take you seriously you're gonna have to quit playing the troll.  Of course, trolls don't want to be taken seriously, so that sort of self-resolves, but it was a dick move on your part.  Negged.

Jesus, it was a simple edit to change the referenced poster.  I did not intend to ascribe the quote to deadshank.  I assumed the edit would be obviously mine. My apologies to him for poor execution.

The whole pretense of the thread and the forum is no-politics.  But, you couldn’t resist just as deadshank succinctly described.  So again, STFU.

Edited by Incredulity

3 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Jesus, it was a simple edit to change the referenced poster.  I did not intend to ascribe the quote to deadshank.  I assumed the edit would be obviously mine. My apologies to him for poor execution.

The whole pretense of the thread and the forum is no-politics.  But, you couldn’t resist just as deadshank succinctly described.  So again, STFU.

I didn't post anything political you fucking idiot.  I was commenting on the original post and saying it wasn't political.

15 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

It doesn't have to be political, if true.  It's simply an illustration of the value the US can derive from immigration.  Legal or not, immigrants are a huge net positive in this country.

Not political.

Dr Evil Whatever GIF

TIL the commentary; illegal immigration is a huge benefit to the country, is apolitical.  You knew exactly what you were doing.

Just now, Incredulity said:

TIL the commentary; illegal immigration is a huge benefit to the country, is apolitical.  You knew exactly what you were doing.

It's a shame you're spoiling for a fight so bad that you'd CR the thread by misrepresenting JJ's post saying that immigration is good for America

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Captainant said:

It's a shame you're spoiling for a fight so bad that you'd CR the thread by misrepresenting JJ's post saying that immigration is good for America

I give up.  I was simply trying to keep the focus on "immigration" without getting into unnecessary subtext, as you and everyone else clearly understood.

I shouldn't have engaged him in the first place.

Awesome young man does awesome for himself and by his family in awesome country.  His origin story makes it even more awesome.  I'm having an extra beer later in his honor.  

But ask him...for serial. How can the biggest country in Central American not produce one major league baseball player?  

Well, for starters...it's not in Central America (although Panama is doing awesome in this regard).  

But here's David Ortiz to explain why the diet and drinks of the Dominican Republic are their secret ingredient in producing baseball legends:

to get back on topic.  What's this kid's construction company name?  let's throw 'em some business.  Y'all 1%er CRE cats, let's figure this out.  We something to unify around besides wreath funds and degenerate benders.  

Edited by Lobo

My ex wife moved to the US with her American mom from Central America.  Single mom and two girls.   No money.  Lived with extended family in a double wide etc.   Didn't speak english. .   now she has a MIS degree from UT and an MBA from NYU.    She's my ex wife for a reason but I'll always respect what she and others do with the opportunities 

• Hook 'Em 1