San Diego DOs n' DON'TS

squib

Wife and I heading to San Diego Aug 9-14. Rented an AirBnB in the GasLamp Quarter a few blocks from Petco. Looks like we will hit up the afternoon game on Wednesday v. the Marlins. Otherwise, don't have anything really planned. Any ideas on restaurants, bars, or cool activities?

I have been out there a few times and have toured the Midway and done a few pub crawls, but I am not expert on the area. 

The USS MIdway is a must.    I did one of the harbor cruises when visitors were in town, and it was really interesting.  You get to see the submarine base, the tuna fleet, etc.  

If you like Thai food, hit up Sab-Lai in the gaslamp.  A client owns it, and it's really good. 

Of course, Balboa Park, the Zoo, the Wild Animal Park, if you want to take a day trip, head up to temecula wine country.

EDIT: oh shit, you've already done Midway.  I missed that in the OP.

idea: if you want to see more of SoCal, hop on Amtrak or the Coaster, and head to San Juan Capistrano for lunch.  Tons of shit within walking distance of the train station, including the Old Mission.   Tons of good bars and restaurants, and the train ride up the coast is pretty. 

Edited by Gil Bang

Drive up the coast through La Jolla, Del Mar, and Encinitas. Cool, laid back beach towns along the way. That's the San Diego I want to retire to.

Rent a boat if you can and take a sunset cruise on the Pacific.

Or go to any beach and watch the sunset over Pacific. The people out there take it for granted but that's one of my favorite things to do when in SoCal. No matter what ails your mind and spirit, watching that beautiful sunset makes everything ok for a few hours.

• 3 weeks later...
The USS MIdway is a must.    I did one of the harbor cruises when visitors were in town, and it was really interesting.  You get to see the submarine base, the tuna fleet, etc.  
If you like Thai food, hit up Sab-Lai in the gaslamp.  A client owns it, and it's really good. 
Of course, Balboa Park, the Zoo, the Wild Animal Park, if you want to take a day trip, head up to temecula wine country.

EDIT: oh shit, you've already done Midway.  I missed that in the OP.
idea: if you want to see more of SoCal, hop on Amtrak or the Coaster, and head to San Juan Capistrano for lunch.  Tons of shit within walking distance of the train station, including the Old Mission.   Tons of good bars and restaurants, and the train ride up the coast is pretty. 
@Gil Bang the train trip sounds cool. I'm going to SD next weekend to celebrate 25th year anniversary before a conference I have to attend in Carlsbad. Where do you catch the train at?

I always wondered why the hell people would visit Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego if they didn't have a connection to the Marine Corps; but there was always a steady stream of folks watching us get tortured.  LOL  It is a very small, but pretty base that is adjacent to the airport.  I honestly want to go back when we visit San Diego next year.  It will have been 33 years since Basic there.  I'm freaking ancient.

http://www.mccsmcrd.com/gradinfo/

Loved San Diego and enjoyed the town. I most definitely want to see a game at Petco Park, as well.

On 8/5/2021 at 10:35 AM, squib said:

Just cancelled the trip. Didn't want to get out there and a lockdown hit.

Thanks anti-vaxxers. Up your noses with rubber hoses. 

Well, wife and I are taking your place, end of October.  Never been to SD but have been numerous times to LA and all that other shit in Cali.

Go to Hodad's in downtown, and have breakfast at Pipes in Cardiff.
Maybe not in that order...

Hodad’s is great but I’ve only been to the OB location.

A buddy in SD said that Swagyu Burger is his new #1. It’s a wagyu butcher shop that opened a burger joint to use up all the wagyu trimmings.