Ames, IA

Whatever

7 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

This seems almost impossible to do in a weekend. Thousands of miles going, zig zagging just to drive into every state? Weather conditions , fuel stops, I suppose he shit and pissed himself and didn’t sleep at all? Just to travel the lengths of Montana and Texas is 10+ hrs each west to east without even touching upper Midwest, SE, Great Lakes and NE

Avoiding rush hours would be difficult. Even medium sized cities can slow down considerably during commute times.  My dad and I used to leave Austin really early to miss the morning/lunch/evening rush hours in Austin, DFW, OKC, and Wichita whenever we’d go pheasant hunting in SD. Each of those being roughly 3 hours apart made it easier, but pulling that off back east would be tricky. 

• 3 months later...
9 hours ago, Whatever said:

We’re back at the hotel in Ankeny. The trip was overall awesome, even though I almost gouged my eyes out watching this stupid team.

Thanks@Al_4_ISU for the recs. We ate at Uptown Food & Beverage Co. in Ankeny last night. My burger was meh but the atmosphere and local beer were good.

Today we had breakfast at Main Street Bakery and liked it a lot. Then we went to Ledges State Park and loved our hike. Very good scenery there. Lunch was at Cornbred and it was quite good. They are short-staffed so it took 2 hours from the time we arrived until we finished eating. Tried some Alluvial beers that I liked.

Ended up not playing golf but did get to the tailgating area a couple hours early hoping to meet some folks. We did meet a few people and the locals seemed surprised that we drove from Dallas for the game…I guess they’re not used to folks coming for TX for games.

All in all it was a fantastic trip and I’m just happy we got to do it.

Fuck this team and fuck OU. I’m sucking down Makers, Bud Lights and Dominoes pizza watching the AZ/USC game in the hotel. They don’t serve beer in the stadium so I had to watch this piece of shit team buzzed in the first half and sober in the second.

Holy shit, where’s the Tylenol?

You may have the world’s most positive attitude, but fuck, man...  I kind of feel like you are in an unhealthy and abusive relationship with this team and need a social services check.  You could have had a weekend in New Orleans, San Francisco or Vegas.  But you spent it in Des Moines watching a group of emotional support monkeys trying to fuck a football.  Noted highlights of your “fantastic trip” were a meh burger and dominos pizza in your hotel room.

Just blink your eyes three times fast  if you need help.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Goredho said:

You may have the world’s most positive attitude, but fuck, man...  I kind of feel like you are in an unhealthy and abusive relationship with this team and need a social services check.  You could have had a weekend in New Orleans, San Francisco or Vegas.  But you spent it in Des Moines watching a group of emotional support monkeys trying to fuck a football.  Noted highlights of your “fantastic trip” were a meh burger and dominos pizza in your hotel room.

One of the funniest posts I've read here in a very long time. Either you work in marketing or you should be. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I enjoyed the visit except in and around the stadium and all their trash fans. My daughters told me about some “older” (to them) fans at a tailgate saying they were going to piss on them. I didn’t hear it, but it happened.

My third daughter was sitting in a section of ISU Athletic Department special guest section because her roommate was a student academic leader when she was at ISU. She has a  quick wit and smacks with the best of them, and when some of the ex-players from their Pinstripe Bowl started throwing the Horns down in her face, she asked them in a naive/sarcastic voice, “ What is the Pinstripe Bowl? Is it kinda like a national championship or something.” When her roommates old coach advised her that her Texas jersey would not be welcomed at the ISU AD tailgate on Saturday, she asked the coach why because Texas would never tell an opposing fan that they were not welcome at an official Texas tailgate. I’m sure she said it nicer than that, but the coach didn’t have a clear response.

Then there were all the school age kids being encouraged by their parents to do the Horns down, jeering when Bijan was down, booing when The Eyes was being played.

Fuck ‘em. I hope they enjoy their new conference mates:

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I enjoyed the visit except in and around the stadium and all their trash fans. My daughters told me about some “older” (to them) fans at a tailgate saying they were going to piss on them. I didn’t hear it, but it happened.

My third daughter was sitting in a section of ISU Athletic Department special guest section because her roommate was a student academic leader when she was at ISU. She has a  quick wit and smacks with the best of them, and when some of the ex-players from their Pinstripe Bowl started throwing the Horns down in her face, she asked them in a naive/sarcastic voice, “ What is the Pinstripe Bowl? Is it kinda like a national championship or something.” When her roommates old coach advised her that her Texas jersey would not be welcomed at the ISU AD tailgate on Saturday, she asked the coach why because Texas would never tell an opposing fan that they were not welcome at an official Texas tailgate. I’m sure she said it nicer than that, but the coach didn’t have a clear response.

Then there were all the school age kids being encouraged by their parents to do the Horns down, jeering when Bijan was down, booing when The Eyes was being played.

Fuck ‘em. I hope they enjoy their new conference mates:

Sorry you had a bad experience my man, usually opposing fans love the tailgates at isu. I'm guessing tensions were a bit high due to the conference situation (I wasn't there). I saw the kids on TV with the horns down and personally think it's dumb and an aggy thing but what can you do. Hope you come back some day and have a better experience.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, ISUCyclones said:

Sorry you had a bad experience my man, usually opposing fans love the tailgates at isu. I'm guessing tensions were a bit high due to the conference situation (I wasn't there). I saw the kids on TV with the horns down and personally think it's dumb and an aggy thing but what can you do. Hope you come back some day and have a better experience.

I have zero problems with Horns down. I actually embrace the hate. I just don’t get people tolerating or encouraging it from their 7 or 8 year olds. It’s for college kids. I also don’t get men in their 30s who are AD guests being honored by their school doing it in the face of a 23 year-old female who is also a guest of their AD. And 100% of these same adults being honored threw the Horns down during their on-field tribute.

My son and I had a nice conversation with some retirement age alums as we walked to the stadium. That distraction is why I didn’t hear the other adult men talking about pissing on my daughters.

I don’t buy into the Nebraska’s greatest fans in the world bullshit, but their adults are 100x better than what we encountered in and around the stadium. I’ve seen worse, but it was a big disappointment this time around (my 6th Texas game in Ames).

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
  • Hook 'Em 2

We also enjoyed our pregame meal at Macubana. The waitress and bartender tried giving us advice on how to avoid pregame traffic (which wasn’t bad at all) since we were leaving a bit later than we would have liked. And the meth head we paid $20 to let us park in his yard was a peasant fellow. He had no idea who was playing even though we were  decked out in Texas garb. I had to explain my joke to him when he told us to enjoy our evening, and I responded with a, “Can’t we at least get a good luck?” Comedy is hard. 

• Haha 1

That really pisses me off that those guys threatened to piss on your daughter.

I knew there would be a lot of anger towards UT institutionally, and that’s absolutely deserved, but taking it out towards visiting fans is trash-ass behavior and completely unacceptable.

But the disgust regarding the horns down is a great example of the delusional arrogance that makes the rest of the world hate UT’s guts.

• Hook 'Em 1

Your post made me laugh pretty hard as well.

I was drunk-posting last night so that’s where the vitriol came from. I was childishly expecting a win to make the weekend “perfect” for my 9 yo son since he chose this trip as his birthday present.

I used to put a lot of stock in this team but we had a family tragedy involving one of my other sons and a near tragedy involving the same son (he was severely injured) in March and May of 2020, respectively. Those events have changed my perspective on life drastically. Now I’m seeking maximum fun at all times since life is short.

As for the trip, I failed to mention that we loved every second except for the play on the field. ‘Horns down doesn’t bother me and we saw plenty of it and in only a couple of instances was it directed toward my son and I, but I took it as good-natured ribbing since they did it with smiles on their faces. Maybe I’m naive on that and they were being passive aggressive, but I don’t really care to overthink it.

People were extremely nice and welcoming everywhere we went. I am from a farming community myself (Taylor…yeah that one) so I appreciate farming and I think farms are beautiful no matter the topography. I told several folks it was good to see farming alive and well. Missouri and Iowa both have some beautiful farmland and cool (again, just my opinion) traditional red barns. I love all of that stuff even more now that I live in a suburb with a population above 250K, but I realize I’m probably in the minority there.

In my opinion Ames is a very cool college town and I thought the tailgating scene was awesome. Their band was playing at one of the tailgating areas pregame and I liked that. The stadium is nice and easy to navigate, and getting in and out was a breeze. It was a great crowd and they really support their hometown team. My only constructive criticism of the stadium experience was the piped in noise. I thought there was too much of it and it’s way too loud, but that’s probably no different than most other P5 stadiums, including DKR.

Overall I’m a fan of the trip. I sure felt like I was winning as a Dad when my son told me it was his favorite present he’s ever received.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

But the disgust regarding the horns down is a great example of the delusional arrogance that makes the rest of the world hate UT’s guts.

You may have misunderstood my comments, but I’ve embraced the Horns down for decades. I do have a problem with parents who teach their grade school kids to do it because it’s not something we would ever do (and they’re too young to pop upside the head lol). That the parents themselves do it is simply weak. Shit-talking is for college age kids (give or take a couple of years) who aren’t afraid to mix it up. The same age group that used to tear up Commerce Street in Dallas on Texas-OU weekend.

If ISU fans hate UT’s guts so much, why all the angst surrounding our departure? Why not thank Texas (and OU) for the hundreds of millions of extra dollars you’ve collected over the past decade+ of the B12 (since Nebraska’s big collapse and exodus)? The rest of the B12 acts like they own our brands. We’ve lived with that for as long as I can remember, so please try to understand how liberating this is for us.

I honestly think most of the negative shit was mob behavior. Booing The Eyes of Texas seemed to get it out of their collective system. Only a smattering of insults could be heard after that. We stopped to get some fast food on the way out of town, and all the ISU yokels in line were as nice as could be to us and a couple of other Texas fans.

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
  • Hook 'Em 1

ISU fans didn’t hate Texas until July.

If you don’t understand why there is a lot of sudden animosity towards Texas, there’s no point in rehashing it for the umpteenth time.

In 2019 I was embarrassed to see the occasional Horns Down when we played. It was a childish attempt to feign a rivalry with what (at that point) was a critical business partner.

In 2021, it’s completely different. You find teaching children a harmless taunt that they’re never going to use again classless, and I get that. I find stabbing your long term business partners in the back to gain some money that you’ll blow on continued mediocrity classless.

We’re at a big ol’ impasse, and you never have to worry about us subhuman scum that are so clearly beneath the beacon of light that is the University of Texas. God bless you noble princes in your SEC journey. We were blessed to bask in your eternal glory. Forgive our heathen ways, oh ever-shining bastion of morality.

Seriously, expecting us to thank you now for the previous value of the conference is like some gold digger leaving her husband for a richer guy and expecting him to thank her for the sex when they were married, as opposed to being mad that she’s leaving.

Again, this is why EVERYONE hates this institution.

12 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Seriously, expecting us to thank you now for the previous value of the conference is like some gold digger leaving her husband for a richer guy and expecting him to thank her for the sex when they were married, as opposed to being mad that she’s leaving.

Again, this is why EVERYONE hates this institution.

You’re being irrationally bitter about a business decision, and you’re certainly not making anyone feel bad about it. This is exactly how Texas has been treated throughout the last 15 years by most teams in the conference. The league office has been nothing but hostile towards us. 

We gave up plenty of revenue after the Nebraska and aggy departures to take care of Iowa State and other schools and keep the conference together, yet all we get back is whining. Not sure how we’ve thrown our weight around except for finally making the decision to take care of us for a change. We haven’t been beating you on the football field, and our fans haven’t been classless assholes. Let it go. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The rest of the B12 has shit on Texas and blamed us for everything since Nebraska left. ou skates on everything of course. It’s always big bad Texas ruining everything. 

OU’s just as bad, and Nebraska is the worst. Their last game in Ames was even angrier than what we saw on Saturday, but I doubt Texas fans were paying attention as much back then.

We didn’t blame you until you left, and that’s why ISU fans are so raw. When you needed a conference game on LHN, we were glad to do it. Our AD, on multiple occasions publicly said the LHN was a good thing for the league, and that Texas was a great partner. What did he get in return? Knife in the fucking back. ISU bent over backwards to show Texas we appreciated the value y’all brought and we didn’t change our tune until you did.

We feel like we really made a point of being a good partner to Texas and OU, and were ditched in spite of it because we lacked cache. That’s what pisses us off.

If you guys are still around next year, OU’s going to get a savage reception in Ames, like they did in Manhattan. They just don’t have a silly hand signal to invert. Okies aren’t as fun to trash either, because the hubris is dialed back about 9 points.

You’re being irrationally bitter about a business decision, and you’re certainly not making anyone feel bad about it. This is exactly how Texas has been treated throughout the last 15 years by most teams in the conference. The league office has been nothing but hostile towards us. 

We gave up plenty of revenue after the Nebraska and aggy departures to take care of Iowa State and other schools and keep the conference together, yet all we get back is whining. Not sure how we’ve thrown our weight around except for finally making the decision to take care of us for a change. We haven’t been beating you on the football field, and our fans haven’t been classless assholes. Let it go. 

I’ve given your fans numerous props. I still like Texas fans.

Telling us we don’t have a right to be mad, and should just be thankful for the past is really condescending. And the root of the widespread anti-Texas sentiment is arrogance. Everyone here laments about Texas being unfairly built into the bad guy, and there is a level of arrogance that surrounds all things Texan and makes it easy for lazy outsiders to call you the bad guy. Texas gets more crap than they should, but it’s really obvious how that happened.

I don’t mean to sound like I’m coming at you, as you’re one of my favorite posters here and realignment doesn’t change that one bit. It’s just kind of maddening to be told we don’t have a right to be upset.

15 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I have zero problems with Horns down. I actually embrace the hate. I just don’t get people tolerating or encouraging it from their 7 or 8 year olds. It’s for college kids. I also don’t get men in their 30s who are AD guests being honored by their school doing it in the face of a 23 year-old female who is also a guest of their AD. And 100% of these same adults being honored threw the Horns down during their on-field tribute.

My son and I had a nice conversation with some retirement age alums as we walked to the stadium. That distraction is why I didn’t hear the other adult men talking about pissing on my daughters.

I don’t buy into the Nebraska’s greatest fans in the world bullshit, but their adults are 100x better than what we encountered in and around the stadium. I’ve seen worse, but it was a big disappointment this time around (my 6th Texas game in Ames).

I don’t think you are SEC ready. Shit’s going to be way worse outside their stadiums. 

Off topic.

I spent a number of years flying around the U.S. for work and in my opinion the Midwest is just loaded with genuine kind people.

I've also spent a lot of time in SEC country and I would describe the general attitude of the South as having a forced friendliness. A very thin veneer of forced politeness that is nothing like the people in Iowa, Nebraska and Indiana. The same can be said of aggyville. Aggy like the rest of the SEC hides their shittyness behind theatrical politeness. These are bad people that let the demons out once they are in the shadows.

• Like 1