2018-19 Texas Longhorns thread

Machinator

While I'd love to have Royal Ivey here as an assistant, I can't imagine that happens. He makes north of $1.2M a year for OKC. Darrin Horn makes just over $300k for comparison sake. Maybe he takes the job for the love of UT but the skeptic in me kind of doubts it.

Only way Royal Ivey comes to Texas is as our head coach. Which actually doesn't sound that bad...

Edit: Nevermind, that $1.2M was from 2012 when he was a player... I'll be back with his real salary.

Hm, can't find any salary info. Best guess on the low end is $300k from random sources taking guesses about what the salary range is for an NBA assistant. On theh high end, Lue is on a 4 yr, $6.5M contract as an assistant.

Edited by dieucla98

2 hours ago, dieucla98 said:

While I'd love to have Royal Ivey here as an assistant, I can't imagine that happens. He makes north of $1.2M a year for OKC. Darrin Horn makes just over $300k for comparison sake. Maybe he takes the job for the love of UT but the skeptic in me kind of doubts it.

Only way Royal Ivey comes to Texas is as our head coach. Which actually doesn't sound that bad...

Edit: Nevermind, that $1.2M was from 2012 when he was a player... I'll be back with his real salary.

Hm, can't find any salary info. Best guess on the low end is $300k from random sources taking guesses about what the salary range is for an NBA assistant. On theh high end, Lue is on a 4 yr, $6.5M contract as an assistant.

This seems random

On 5/3/2018 at 10:55 AM, Goo Punch said:

This is Shaka’s third best class in four tries- to project it to be “an historically good class” is just dumb, especially since you’re supposed to be this decades-long season ticket holder who remembers everything.

This is going to be a really good class for us because it's going to stock the cupboard with guys who are likely to be quality players at the NCAA level and be here for at least 2 years. Guys like Jarrett Allen and Mo Bamba can make a recruiting class look really special but in reality they don't help the program much because they play only 1 year here and it's their freshman year.

To say it's Shaka's "3rd best" class would be a compliment if it wasn't for the fact that Shaka's only been here a few years. I guess you mean it as some sort of dismissal, but considering how well he's done in recruiting since he's been here, it isn't much of an indictment at all. But I get that your dumb ass has to carry on with your anti-Shaka bias.

Edited by Cameltoe

23 minutes ago, Cameltoe said:

This is going to be a really good class for us because it's going to stock the cupboard with guys who are likely to be quality players at the NCAA level and be here for at least 2 years. Guys like Jarrett Allen and Mo Bamba can make a recruiting class look really special but in reality they don't help the program much because they play only 1 year here and it's their freshman year.

To say it's Shaka's "3rd best" class would be a compliment if it wasn't for the fact that Shaka's only been here a few years. I guess you mean it as some sort of dismissal, but considering how well he's done in recruiting since he's been here, it isn't much of an indictment at all. But I get that your dumb ass has to carry on with your anti-Shaka bias.

Uh, what? If I was going to “continue with my anti-Shaka bias” then I too would hail this class as a historically good class, that way when we finish 4th in a depleted Big XII next season I could harp about Shaka failing with a historically good class that followed two other top 5 classes since he’s been here. But this doesn’t project to be an historic class, so no worries in that regard.

Edited by Goo Punch

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

Liddell is the boom-or-bust guy of this class. Cunningham should red shirt, but I like what he brings in terms of toughness.

Hayes seems like the boom or bust guy to me. Or at least another one. Guys like him usually end up struggling to become complete basketball players, but if he ever did develop real basketball skills and acumen then his physical skill set sets the sky as the limit. I’ve said it before but I think that Roach, Sims, and Hayes will be the three best athletes in the league, considering Roach returns.

A lot of recruiting people think Jaxson Hayes was undervalued. The bold part is likely why they had no issue with Banks moving on. Right or wrong, the staff likely thinks Hayes can fill that role in year 1 as a shot blocker. 

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/rivals150-thoughts-on-the-final-ranking-for-the-class-of-2018

Bossi: “Heading to Texas to play in the Big 12, I can’t help but worry that ends up being a bit under-ranked. I don’t think it will be in his first year and it may not even be in his second year, but long term there are few in the class of 2018 who have as much upside as Hayes, even though he's ranked at No. 108 overall. A 6-foot-10 big man at Cincinnati (Ohio) Moeller, Hayes only averaged around 12 points per game and just under nine rebounds as a senior. He also lacks strength. But, he’s a potential game-changer as a shot-blocker, is an above-average athlete and is just starting to learn what he’s capable of. I’m real interested to see what a few years in a college weight room and more experience could mean for his game.”

Edited by texasstrong12

I think Hayes has a higher floor than Liddell.  At the very least Hayes should be able to block shots and rebound, especially after adding some weight and muscle.  Hayes has the athleticism and body to be a top 5 draft pick.  He unfortunately is no where close basketball skill wise though.  As GooPunch Derka said, too often players like him struggle to learn the basketball skills.  He reminds me a lot of Prince Ibeh.

Hayes sounds a lot like Ibeh, who never developed any offensive game other than the occasional dunk. Based on the development of the non one and dones by Shaka's staff, I wouldn't get my hopes up that Hayes is anything more than a dunker. Which would be fine, if Shaka's offense featured getting the ball to athletic bigs in a position to dunk the ball other than offense rebounds, or if pushed for a more open court game.

On 5/7/2018 at 7:25 PM, Goo Punch said:

Uh, what? If I was going to “continue with my anti-Shaka bias” then I too would hail this class as a historically good class, that way when we finish 4th in a depleted Big XII next season I could harp about Shaka failing with a historically good class that followed two other top 5 classes since he’s been here. But this doesn’t project to be an historic class, so no worries in that regard.

Oh, you're not continuing with your anti-Shaka bias? Glad you've finally seen the light.

20 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

It’s a bunch of guys with similar recruiting rankings to Eric Davis, James Banks and Tevin Mack.  It’s hardly a given that these guys will all be good, or that they’ll stick around.

Personally, I don’t know enough about Ramey to have an opinion, although if you go by the ratings I suppose he’s the consensus best recruit.  As for the rest, I like Hepa, and Hayes can be good eventually but it will take awhile.  I’m not sure what to make of Liddell.  There must be a reason he’s rated highly (I hope), but what I’ve seen hasn’t wowed me.  Cunningham probably needs to be a better shooter than he is now to make a dent in the Big 12.

Reportedly Avery Johnson claimed that Tevin Mack was often the best player on the team in last year.  Losing him was big. 

If you ignore the off-court issues that caused him to be tossed off the team, sure.
Nobody seems willing to give a definitive answer as to why he has to leave. There have been rumors of weed, fighting with teammates, and being a,poor teammate, but nothing concrete.
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:
6 hours ago, Bitterwhiteguy said:
If you ignore the off-court issues that caused him to be tossed off the team, sure.

Nobody seems willing to give a definitive answer as to why he has to leave. There have been rumors of weed, fighting with teammates, and being a,poor teammate, but nothing concrete.

I gave no fucks when Tevin Mack left. He never wowed me on any kind of consistent basis. He put up ok stats at times in the one and a half years he was here and some talent. But he was far from the type of player that should be considered a "bad loss" for a program at our level or the level we want to be.

If Coleman and Sims start hitting the weed pipe hard over the summer and beating up the new recruits, I'll be sad. No clue what this "Avery Johnson" quote is about but we're doing much better than Mack these days in the recruiting trenches.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cameltoe said:

I gave no fucks when Tevin Mack left. He never wowed me on any kind of consistent basis. He put up ok stats at times in the one and a half years he was here and some talent. But he was far from the type of player that should be considered a "bad loss" for a program at our level or the level we want to be.

If Coleman and Sims start hitting the weed pipe hard over the summer and beating up the new recruits, I'll be sad. No clue what this "Avery Johnson" quote is about but we're doing much better than Mack these days in the recruiting trenches.

I don’t know how but you consistently surprise me with completely tone deaf comments like this. Mack has All-SEC/Big XII talent and is the exact shooter/scorer we’ve been missing. Give half of DO’s dumbass tree point attempts to smack and we probably have 4 or 5 more wins with as many close games we lost and as many leads as we blew. You’re pumped about a bunch of middle-bottom of the pack recruits coming but losing Mack means nothing. Brilliant, as usual.

8 hours ago, Machinator said:

Damn, that's awesome work from Hepa to make a national team. I guess it means he has a late birthday if he still qualifies for the U18 team but is in this class. Probably a July or August birthday. We're gonna get this guy, and he's only the 3rd highest rated in our class behind Ramey and Liddell!

Edited by Cameltoe

43 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Mack has All-SEC/Big XII talent and is the exact shooter/scorer we’ve been missing. Give half of DO’s dumbass tree point attempts to smack and we probably have 4 or 5 more wins

Are you drunk or just stupid? Stop naming Mack to all-conference teams he's never been close to and probably will never make. Get back to me when he actually DOES make that team.

I would take DO over Tevin Mack without the slightest hesitation. Maturity factor alone, regardless of talent. The fact that you think Mack's loss was actually a thing, in light of where we are today with recruiting and talent level, is laughable.

Edited by Cameltoe

2 hours ago, Cameltoe said:

Are you drunk or just stupid? Stop naming Mack to all-conference teams he's never been close to and probably will never make. Get back to me when he actually DOES make that team.

I would take DO over Tevin Mack without the slightest hesitation. Maturity factor alone, regardless of talent. The fact that you think Mack's loss was actually a thing, in light of where we are today with recruiting and talent level, is laughable.

pure idiocy.  

9 hours ago, Cameltoe said:

Do you even watch games? Mack, excluding off-court issues,  was great at the start of last year and the exact kind of shooter/long wing we’ve been missing since he and Barnett left. I would’ve taken Mack over DO on last year’s team in a heartbeat. 

21 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:
22 hours ago, Bitterwhiteguy said:

The only thing you mentioned that's incorrect is the fighting; the rumored Roach/Tevin locker room brawl didn't happen. People pointed to a shiner, but if you go back and look at the days leading up to that game, Roach already had swelling around his eye (a source told me it was a reaction to medication). Those two were buddies; there's a reason they got suspended together and for the same number of games at the start of that season, it's because they got caught for the same thing. (Some day when it's legalized, this will stop being an issue in college basketball.) These things all contributed to him getting tossed, but the final straw I'm not going to get into in any detail on a public board except to say Tevin doesn't really deal with authority figures well. If you've seen me reference elsewhere how much I'm going to enjoy watching him interact with a coach that turns the screws like Avery, that's why. Maybe Tevin has settled down since he was in Austin, I hope for his sake he has.

Edited by Bitterwhiteguy

17 hours ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Do you even watch games? Mack, excluding off-court issues,  was great at the start of last year and the exact kind of shooter/long wing we’ve been missing since he and Barnett left. I would’ve taken Mack over DO on last year’s team in a heartbeat. 

Mack hogged the ball in some November and December games his sophomore year and put up ok numbers. That was after an extremely mediocre freshman year. He didn't really accomplish anything as a UT basketball player while he was here. And I just now realized, the positive quote about him from Avery Johnson is because Avery is now his head coach. LOL, no bias there!

8 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

Raise your hand if you’re surprised that camel just found that Avery Johnson is the head coach at Bama. Nobody? 

sorry I'm not up on "''bama basketball" news. But in my defense I don't think anyone in Tuscaloosa gives a crap about the basketball team, let alone anyone outside the state of Alabama like me.

Their basketball program is even worse than our's. 5 months ago we went into their place in Birmingham and stomped them by 16. Dylan O had 8 points and 11 rebounds.

Tevin Mack goes from our team to 'bama and you think WE got the short end of that stick? Laughable. Mack will struggle to keep pace with incoming freshmen and Bama isn't going to be any good next year either, Tevin Mack won't change that.

Edited by Cameltoe

DO - 35.2 minutes per game, 13.4 points,  0.400 FG%, 0.288 3P%, 7.2 boards, 1.2 assists, 2.2 TO

Mack - 31.3 minutes per game, 14.8 points, 0.459 FG%, 0.391 3P%, 4.8 boards, 0.8 assists, 1.4 TO

So Mack played less, scored more, scored more efficiently, and turned the ball over less.  DO had more boards and slightly more assists. Mack's stat line is the exact kind of player we're missing on this team. We have guys who can dish assists. We have guys that can board.

I can't really quantify the effects of Mack's off court issues since I don't know what they really were but going on stats alone, it's pretty damn clear as day that taking Mack over DO would be a major upgrade to this team.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

DO - 35.2 minutes per game, 13.4 points,  0.400 FG%, 0.288 3P%, 7.2 boards, 1.2 assists, 2.2 TO

Mack - 31.3 minutes per game, 14.8 points, 0.459 FG%, 0.391 3P%, 4.8 boards, 0.8 assists, 1.4 TO

So Mack played less, scored more, scored more efficiently, and turned the ball over less.  DO had more boards and slightly more assists. Mack's stat line is the exact kind of player we're missing on this team. We have guys who can dish assists. We have guys that can board.

I can't really quantify the effects of Mack's off court issues since I don't know what they really were but going on stats alone, it's pretty damn clear as day that taking Mack over DO would be a major upgrade to this team.

it would be nicer and easier if stats alone was the standard... I like Mack, but noticed he was not exactly a positive motivator on the court.  He griped and pouted when he didn't get the ball and berated teammates at times during games.  Having a teammate who brings negativity can be a distraction and actually cause bad chemistry, over-thinking, and shitty performance of other players.  It's easy to say you'd win a lot of games with a bunch of Stephen Jacksons, Michael Beasleys, Latrell Sprewells, etc... based upon stats alone.   I'm not putting Mack in those guys' category, but I am fine with him gone aqnd don't miss him.

5 hours ago, Cameltoe said:

sorry I'm not up on "''bama basketball" news. But in my defense I don't think anyone in Tuscaloosa gives a crap about the basketball team, let alone anyone outside the state of Alabama like me.

Their basketball program is even worse than our's. 5 months ago we went into their place in Birmingham and stomped them by 16. Dylan O had 8 points and 11 rebounds.

Tevin Mack goes from our team to 'bama and you think WE got the short end of that stick? Laughable. Mack will struggle to keep pace with incoming freshmen and Bama isn't going to be any good next year either, Tevin Mack won't change that.

lol.  

osetkowski had 8 points on 3/11 shooting and also had 5 turnovers and no assists that you failed to mention.

I can’t count how many people this year I’ve heard say, “Liddell should be getting minutes and could even start simply because he’s all we have on the wing.” All of the points made above are valid- hell, I criticized Mack more than anyone here for being a visibly shitty teammate, and talking to some of the “in tune” people I know, I was told that by the time the coaches were getting tired of Mack’s act that plenty of his teammates were already beyond that point. So, there’s no guarantee that Mack or the team would have thrived bad he stayed on. However, there’s also zero doubt that he’s better than DO and that he’s the exact player we’ve been missing: a tall, offensive minded wing who can slash and shoot. To act like this team hasn’t been missing that is nuts.

It's all well and good to say "we could really use a player who can do X" but the truth is it doesn't have to be that complicated.

If you put 5 solid basketball players out on the court, then solid basketball things will happen. You could field a team with all guards, literally no bigs, and if they were all badass guards, you would have a good team.

So before lameting that Mack was the "type" of player "we could really use", remember that what matters more is that all the players are mature, talented, and do good things on the court.

1 hour ago, BigOrange1 said:

lol.  

osetkowski had 8 points on 3/11 shooting and also had 5 turnovers and no assists that you failed to mention.

He also had a steal, which YOU failed to mention!

If we're drafting a college program for the next 4 years I take DO before Tevin Mack no question. Maturity factor alone.

• Fuck You 1

21 minutes ago, Cameltoe said:

He also had a steal, which YOU failed to mention!

If we're drafting a college program for the next 4 years I take DO before Tevin Mack no question. Maturity factor alone.

When did you become so staunchly against guys with character issues? We’ve had years of discussion and debate and you’ve never said a bad word about J’Covan Brown, ever. In fact you’ve praised him many times, and I believe you claimed to be a season ticket holder while he was here. So what happened between then and now that’s given you this newly found conviction? Oh that’s right, you started an argument and now you’re digging in. Have fun with that one.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, dieucla98 said:

It should be pointed out that you used Mack's season stats for his last year here, in which he only played 2 big 12 games and the rest non-conference games. The non-conference schedule is easier than the Big schedule. Since DO's season numbers include a full slate of Big 12 games, his stats should be adjusted up for that, or TM's down.

• Fuck You 1

4 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

When did you become so staunchly against guys with character issues? We’ve had years of discussion and debate and you’ve never said a bad word about J’Covan Brown, ever. In fact you’ve praised him many times, and I believe you claimed to be a season ticket holder while he was here. So what happened between then and now that’s given you this newly found conviction? Oh that’s right, you started an argument and now you’re digging in. Have fun with that one.

I've always believed in character. If you look at all the NCAA championship teams of the past, you find tons of guys with great character. In the J'Covan situation, I sided with J'Covan over Barnes. I believe there were just as many character issues with Barnes as J'Covan. I didn't attend the practices and so I've only heard 2nd-hand about the stories of J'Covan's character issues. I saw the games up close and personal, and I saw J'Covan basically just play basketball his entire career, and I watched him play it well. I can't remember a single time I was ever watching a game and saw J'Covan do something that was a sign of character issues. So as far as I'm concerned the stories about J'Covan being a primadonna or whatever are hearsay and I'm just gonna go with he was arguably the most talented scorer we've ever had play here.

I've always been a character guy. Basketball talent matters too though, but Tevin Mack wasn't a big enough talent to start thinking about overlooking character issues.

• Fuck You 1

Mr.”Ive watched every game and I know everything about Texas basketball” never saw anything indicating that J’Covan Brown had character issues? Bullshit. First off his character issues were THE word on J when he was coming out of HS. He had a knack for getting tossed from games and even his own coaches expressed how difficult it was to work with him. By the time he got to play big minutes for Texas ESPN was running a season-long storyline with Holly Rowe chronicling J’Covan’s many well-publicized character issues. We watched JB’s teammates like Doj and Tristan Thompson (a damn freshman at the time) having to go physically grab JB and bring him back to the team huddle on national TV. Then of course you have the road loss vs NU where JB intentionally ran the final play for himself instead of Jordan Hamilton, and after bricking his contested fadeaway corner jumper then went to twitter to rip Rick Barnes for not drawing the play up for him instead of Hamilton. It’s impossible to follow Texas as you claim to do without having heard of any of this, not to mention several other well publicized incidents. Give me a break, and distance yourself from the “Tevin Mack sucks and we don’t need him” stance.

Edited by Goo Punch

Smart needs to model his coaching attitude on this guy.

Ainge picks the players, but Stevens is the arbiter of playing time. The (deserved) fawning over his stoic demeanor and play-calling genius has obscured another fundamental truth: Stevens is something of an old-school hard-ass. "If guys aren't doing their jobs," Horford said, "they just won't play."

In Boston's seventh game of the season, Shane Larkin failed to pursue a loose ball along the left sideline:

Stevens removed Larkin at the next stoppage. He didn't play again until garbage time. "I learned right away," Larkin said. "If you don't get a 50-50 ball, you are coming out."

Stevens didn't upbraid Larkin. He approached him calmly and told Larkin why he had been taken out. In evaluating players, both during games and in film sessions, Stevens is careful with language, according to coaches, players and team higher-ups. He focuses on actions: We didn't get this rebound. You should have made this rotation earlier. The criticism is never about the player's character. No one is labeled lazy or stupid or selfish. Stevens simply describes what did or did not happen, and what should happen next time.

That has gone a long way in securing buy-in, players say. They feel Stevens is with them, even as he holds them -- and himself -- to almost impossible standards. That is a hard balance to strike. It is not a show, either.

12 hours ago, Cameltoe said:

I've always believed in character. If you look at all the NCAA championship teams of the past, you find tons of guys with great character. In the J'Covan situation, I sided with J'Covan over Barnes. I believe there were just as many character issues with Barnes as J'Covan. I didn't attend the practices and so I've only heard 2nd-hand about the stories of J'Covan's character issues. I saw the games up close and personal, and I saw J'Covan basically just play basketball his entire career, and I watched him play it well. I can't remember a single time I was ever watching a game and saw J'Covan do something that was a sign of character issues. So as far as I'm concerned the stories about J'Covan being a primadonna or whatever are hearsay and I'm just gonna go with he was arguably the most talented scorer we've ever had play here.

I've always been a character guy. Basketball talent matters too though, but Tevin Mack wasn't a big enough talent to start thinking about overlooking character issues.

So many things wrong with this.  If you want to die on the hill that there were no character issues with J'Covan, be ready to die alone.

Wow, i didn’t even finish camel’s post until now. He says that J’Covan was “arguably the most talented scorer we’ve ever had play here.” Holy shit that’s almost just as crazy as saying you never saw any character issues with him. Travis Mays, BJ Tyler, Terrence Rencher, Reggie Freeman, Jordan Hamilton, Lance Blanks- hell, Tevin Mack seriously might be a better scorer than JB if he can actually stay on a team.

You can’t keep talking shit to everyone about how you’ve seen it all up close and personal, only to turn around and say completely ludicrous things like this.

Edited by Goo Punch