CSB - Coach Royal

msucolt45

It was the “Arkansas Week” that jogged my memory for all of this! Really didn’t want to create a “thread”, but IMO my Dad was “Rudy” before there ever was a Rudy!

To this day he’ll never “talk” about his days on the 40, but to express how glad Coach Royal gave him an opportunity and to get his degree from UT! Another CSB he spoke at Coach Royal’s funeral, representing the ‘63 Team.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, msucolt45 said:

I posted a couple thing in the Watch Fanatics thread, but thought I’d share some info here. My Dad played under Coach Royal from ‘60 to ‘63. He never started a single game, offense or defense, during his four years for UT. Back then most everyone played both ways, but he saw his time on special teams, like KO kick/returns and punts etc.

To “letter” back then one had to actually participate in an offense/defense snap or play. It wasn’t until the tail end of the ‘63 season/‘64 Cotton Bowl that my Dad actually played a position on the field! Four years of practicing with others and never participating during the game for an offensive/defensive snap on the field.

Every day during his tenure he was on the “scout team” at practice. During his Freshman year to help assist on his “scholarship” tuition money, he waited tables in the athletic dining hall. Imagine practicing with people then hurrying your ass up to get clean, so you can serve those you just practiced with!

He suffered almost 50 stitches, mostly to his face/head during his tenure on the 40 acres. Yes - they had face masks back then. He was just the end result of Coach Royal’s practices back then.

Coach Royal sent him “in” to play guard with about three minutes left playing Navy his Senior year. It was a position he’d never played, but just to get him on the field for a “snap” or two+.

When they had their 40th Reunion (63 National Championship) the night before playing against Arkansas in 2003, they had a banquet for both Arkansas and Texas players with both Coach Royal and Coach Frank Broyals attending. My Dad was asked to be one of three UT players to speak on their behalf.

Coach Royal actually attended my parents wedding in 1967.

Was your dads name Rudy?

Just kidding of course, but thank you for a very bad ass story.

Edited by SHOOTER12

On 9/8/2021 at 9:23 PM, msucolt45 said:

I posted a couple thing in the Watch Fanatics thread, but thought I’d share some info here. My Dad played under Coach Royal from ‘60 to ‘63. He never started a single game, offense or defense, during his four years for UT. Back then most everyone played both ways, but he saw his time on special teams, like KO kick/returns and punts etc.

To “letter” back then one had to actually participate in an offense/defense snap or play. It wasn’t until the tail end of the ‘63 season/‘64 Cotton Bowl that my Dad actually played a position on the field! Four years of practicing with others and never participating during the game for an offensive/defensive snap on the field.

Every day during his tenure he was on the “scout team” at practice. During his Freshman year to help assist on his “scholarship” tuition money, he waited tables in the athletic dining hall. Imagine practicing with people then hurrying your ass up to get clean, so you can serve those you just practiced with!

He suffered almost 50 stitches, mostly to his face/head during his tenure on the 40 acres. Yes - they had face masks back then. He was just the end result of Coach Royal’s practices back then.

Coach Royal sent him “in” to play guard with about three minutes left playing Navy his Senior year. It was a position he’d never played, but just to get him on the field for a “snap” or two+.

When they had their 40th Reunion (63 National Championship) the night before playing against Arkansas in 2003, they had a banquet for both Arkansas and Texas players with both Coach Royal and Coach Frank Broyals attending. My Dad was asked to be one of three UT players to speak on their behalf.

Coach Royal actually attended my parents wedding in 1967.

Great story