“Not a rivalry”

Tex Pete

I attended Arkansas during the late 1990s.  We were already SECSECSEC before I got there. I saw us play Texas in a Cotton Bowl on NYD 2000.  That's it.  It was cold, and we won.  But I don't remember getting jacked up about it.

I was at that 1999 Tennessee game.  We HATED Tennessee, but back then, Arkansas and Tennessee played every year.  Since expansion 2.0, that game never gets played, so those feelings are gone.

We always hated LSU (mostly because their fans were so awful back then.  Dysfunctional drunk South Louisianans.  Even HOME games I hated to encounter Lsu fans.  You haven't lived until you've been surrounded and taunted by VISITING fans).

Ole Miss is probably my least favorite team, but we seem to have really good karma against them, so its a rewarding hate.

I don't think I'll fully understand the old-head hate of Texas.  I never cared that much.  The excitement around this game and in Fayetteville before and after was a spectacle, so I understand it better now.

As for the domination of the series, I'm over 40 , and in my lifetime, the series is equal, or 10-9.  Something like that.  I was nice to all the Texas fans I encountered.  And the three NE Texas bros who couldn't get an Uber to Drake Field around midnight, I was the big bastard who gave you a ride.  You're welcome.  Thanks for the tip.

Edited by wmr
  • Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

I had the shits that day. So did our team. 

We drank in Deep Ellum until 2 am.  Then drove to Ft Worth and slept at a friend's parents house for about 5 hours before heading back for I believe an 11 am kick off.  It was cold.  Somebody on our trip played Lil Troy 'Wanna Be a Baller' enough times that if I hear it, I still think about being on Central Expressway after 5 hours on the road from Fayetteville.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Wizard-of-hogz said:

Announcement from Bevo:  

"Today, I am announcing that I am entering the transfer portal. Good luck to all."

"Please respect by decision"

😆

I’m not going to lie. You hillbillies had a great game but now you’re back in your double wide scouring the shag carpet for meth residue and posting here.  Enjoy the win and congrats.  

On 9/12/2021 at 12:49 AM, Tommyd said:

Old enough to know the history of Arkansas/Texas football. Too many have forgotten this history. Arkansas fans see this as a rivalry, where as Texas fans don’t. Arkansas will always be pumped because this is taught to them early. Texas views OU or A&M as it’s rival. Arkansas has no true rival in the SEC.  Regardless of records or expectations, know that the Hogs will be extra motivated. Welcome to the SEC. it will be entertaining.

aggy troll.

aggy wasn't even #3 when I was in school.  It was 1. OU  2.  Pig  3. UH.

21 hours ago, wmr said:

I attended Arkansas during the late 1990s.  We were already SECSECSEC before I got there. I saw us play Texas in a Cotton Bowl on NYD 2000.  That's it.  It was cold, and we won.  But I don't remember getting jacked up about it.

I was at that 1999 Tennessee game.  We HATED Tennessee, but back then, Arkansas and Tennessee played every year.  Since expansion 2.0, that game never gets played, so those feelings are gone.

We always hated LSU (mostly because their fans were so awful back then.  Dysfunctional drunk South Louisianans.  Even HOME games I hated to encounter Lsu fans.  You haven't lived until you've been surrounded and taunted by VISITING fans).

Ole Miss is probably my least favorite team, but we seem to have really good karma against them, so its a rewarding hate.

I don't think I'll fully understand the old-head hate of Texas.  I never cared that much.  The excitement around this game and in Fayetteville before and after was a spectacle, so I understand it better now.

As for the domination of the series, I'm over 40 , and in my lifetime, the series is equal, or 10-9.  Something like that.  I was nice to all the Texas fans I encountered.  And the three NE Texas bros who couldn't get an Uber to Drake Field around midnight, I was the big bastard who gave you a ride.  You're welcome.  Thanks for the tip.

3 times during the 60s, the DKR/Frank Broyles matchup decided the national title.  63, 64 and 69.  Texas had the #2 record (behind bama) in the 60s and Arkansas was #3.

5 hours ago, Honeysucklerose said:

https://fb.watch/81Wsd0AJxl/

My Lord. Act like you have won something before.

Are they a “faceless opponent” now, Sark???

I'm still surprised those hillbillies stormed the field, even though Arky hates us. It's not like UT has done anything in over a decade. But, first sell-out in 4 years.

Maybe now, Sark gets it.

On 9/13/2021 at 11:51 PM, Wizard-of-hogz said:

Announcement from Bevo:  

"Today, I am announcing that I am entering the transfer portal. Good luck to all."

"Please respect by decision"

😆

Will you please return to the loving arms of sweet lil sissy, it’s getting lonely in that big ol’ single wide.

23 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

I'm still surprised those hillbillies stormed the field, even though Arky hates us. It's not like UT has done anything in over a decade. But, first sell-out in 4 years.

Maybe now, Sark gets it.

I'm not. Deserved or not, we came in there with a big fat ranking right next to our name. You add that to the bad blood and you got what you got. That's why I am not worried just yet. That was a buzzsaw if there ever was one. I am sure Sark got the message, and if he didn't it was explained to him by some people with his job in their hands.

Edited by Thatguy
  • Rage+1 1

6 hours ago, Honeysucklerose said:

Relax.  We haven’t pissed a drop since Petrino’s face wrecked into the volleyball player’s boyfriend’s fist.  

Now, if we storm the court after Muss and co. wreck shop on Beard and the Horns on the reg, I’ll be pissed.  

1 hour ago, DFW Horn said:

Maybe now, Sark gets it.

That’s because you and too many others don’t understand the hatred they have for us. Surely we don’t have to be on the losing end of another ass-whipping to realize it. Then again, OU has beaten the shit out of us repeatedly over the last 20 years and we mostly don’t seem to have caught on. Apparently winning ranks way down the list of important things at The University of Texas, Inc.

• Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, Thatguy said:

I'm not. Deserved or not, we came in there with a big fat ranking right next to our name. You add that to the bad blood and you got what you got. That's why I am not worried just yet. That was a buzzsaw if there ever was one. I am sure Sark got the message, and if he didn't it was explained to him by some people with his job in their hands.

How many people in Bellmont or in the administration have any clue what the Pig rivalry was like?  I’d bet 99% of them thought, just like Sark, that they were just another faceless, unranked opponent. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

How many people in Bellmont or in the administration have any clue what the Pig rivalry was like?  I’d bet 99% of them thought, just like Sark, that they were just another faceless, unranked opponent. 

You are probably right. I remember when Mack got here he didn't understand it either. By 04 I thought he was going to have a heart attack on the sideline in Dallas. I think he left here still not understanding Piggy. Regardless, that video should be required watching for anyone who is associated with the football program. Those motherfuckers were celebrating like they just won the super bowl. Hugging. Tears. High-fiving. Tackling each other. Rushing the field. That's decades of hatred vindicated right there. Wouldn't be surprised if he gets an extension.

Also, Bellmont isn't who I was talking about when I said people with his job in their hands.

Edited by Thatguy
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Im certain sark knew. Arkansas didn't win because of hate unless you use that as a reason for the crowd to be insane. They spooked the QB and things got hard and spooked QB stayed in the game too long. That's as simple as it is. 

• Hook 'Em 2

32 minutes ago, immamac said:

Im certain sark knew. Arkansas didn't win because of hate unless you use that as a reason for the crowd to be insane. They spooked the QB and things got hard and spooked QB stayed in the game too long. That's as simple as it is. 

It sounds like you know why it wasn’t just an ordinary disappointing loss or ugly win. 

1 minute ago, immamac said:

The players don't get magical superpowers from crowd noise is all I'm saying. 

Magical superpowers? No. But there are countless examples of it getting 2 stars to play like 4 stars and 4 stars to play like scared 2 stars *cough…Card…cough*.

When the stadium is rocking like DKR was for UH in 1990 and Mizzou in 2008, the Texas players looked invincible. The Cotton Bowl is like that most years, and Texas seems to respond like they are title contenders or a lower-tier FCS cupcake bending over for OU to abuse.

Crowds aren’t just there to pump up the crowd  

If your school started playing Arkysaw in Fayetteville instead of Jerry World, you’d see the difference between how they react to their biggest rival evar coming to town vs how they react to just another conference opponent.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Magical superpowers? No. But there are countless examples of it getting 2 stars to play like 4 stars and 4 stars to play like scared 2 stars *cough…Card…cough*.

When the stadium is rocking like DKR was for UH in 1990 and Mizzou in 2008, the Texas players looked invincible. The Cotton Bowl is like that most years, and Texas seems to respond like they are title contenders or a lower-tier FCS cupcake bending over for OU to abuse.

Crowds aren’t just there to pump up the crowd  

If your school started playing Arkysaw in Fayetteville instead of Jerry World, you’d see the difference between how they react to their biggest rival evar coming to town vs how they react to just another conference opponent.

WTF does aggy have to do with anything? Fuck aggy.

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, Honeysucklerose said:

Are they a “faceless opponent” now, Sark???

Glass houses, etc

Houston had been blowing us out w the run and shoot. 3 straight double digit wins averaging 50+ per game.  

We had gone 5-6 the year before with a 1 point victory over Rice and a 50-7 ass whipping by Baylor at home. Houston was a big favorite and we dominated. Loudest game I ever attended at DKR. 

2 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

2010 Alabama was just as loud if not louder than last Saturday's game was. Of course, back then both teams were ranked in the top 10-15. It being Texas was probably part of it but this was also the first time Arkansas has somewhat had hope for a decent season in a long while with no COVID precautions to throw a wrench in things. If the Texas-Arkansas game came at the end of a season where we were 2-9 or something then it would likely be a ghost town. 

Even 2014 Alabama, Jalen Hurts said Razorback Stadium was the loudest game he played in that year. 2016 Ole Miss at one point in the game reached decibel levels that ESPN said were in the top 10 they've recorded for a college football game at the time. So fans do show up for other games but just not when there is no hope Arkansas will even be remotely competitive.

7 minutes ago, Gohogs14 said:

2010 Alabama was just as loud if not louder than last Saturday's game was. Of course, back then both teams were ranked in the top 10-15. It being Texas was probably part of it but this was also the first time Arkansas has somewhat had hope for a decent season in a long while with no COVID precautions to throw a wrench in things. If the Texas-Arkansas game came at the end of a season where we were 2-9 or something then it would likely be a ghost town. 

Even 2014 Alabama, Jalen Hurts said Razorback Stadium was the loudest game he played in that year. 2016 Ole Miss at one point in the game reached decibel levels that ESPN said were in the top 10 they've recorded for a college football game at the time. So fans do show up for other games but just not when there is no hope Arkansas will even be remotely competitive.

My point was to make a dig a aggy, not claim that Texas is the only game Piggies get excited about. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor