Summer Transfer Window - 2018 Version

Jograves

34 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Sunderland finally offloads Wahbi Khazri. Moves to St Etienne for an initial £6m, rising to £9m with add ons.

St Etienne’s announcement video is funny in a WTF sort of way.

https://twitter.com/ASSEofficiel/status/1019249540791197696

That's horribad. Did they enlist the local highschool to put that together?

• Like 1

Lots of good stuff on ESPN FC's Live Transfer Talk...

16:58 BST: Atletico Madrid are close to confirming the signings of Gelson Martins and Nikola Kalinic, according to Mundo Deportivo.

14:16 BST: Blackburn Rovers have beaten Tottenham, Manchester United and Liverpool to the signing of Lithuanian teenager Vilius Piliukaitis, according to TEAMtalk .

The 17-year-old is considered the brightest talent in Eastern European football.

Juventus Talk:

16:17 BST: Venezuela defensive midfielder Christian Makoun, 18, has passed a medical ahead of a move to Juventus, according to Gianluca Di Marzio

16:01 BST: Tuttosport claim Manchester City and Barcelona are interested in Miralem Pjanic -- but Juventus would only accept a bid of around €90 million.

15:18 BST: AS confirm Libertad Digital's report that Zinedine Zidane is returning to Juventus as a director -- but add that the Italian giants will also sign the Frenchman's son, Luca.

http://www.espn.com/soccer/blog/transfer-talk/79/post/3568001/live-transfer-talk-real-madrid-may-be-looking-to-sell-karim-benzema

Now that Alisson is being reported at €75M, I went ahead and looked up the top transfers in EPL out of curiousity.

Philippe Coutinho Philippe Coutinho
Attacking Midfield
25 17/18 Brazil
Portugal
FC Barcelona FC Barcelona
Spain LaLiga
£112.50m
Paul Pogba Paul Pogba
Central Midfield
23 16/17 France
Guinea
Manchester United Man Utd
England Premier League
£94.50m
Gareth Bale Gareth Bale
Right Winger
24 13/14 Wales
Real Madrid Real Madrid
Spain LaLiga
£90.90m
Cristiano Ronaldo Cristiano Ronaldo
Centre-Forward
24 09/10 Portugal
Real Madrid Real Madrid
Spain LaLiga
£84.60m
Romelu Lukaku Romelu Lukaku
Centre-Forward
24 17/18 Belgium
DR Congo
England Premier League
£76.23m
Luis Suárez Luis Suárez
Centre-Forward
27 14/15 Uruguay
Italy
Spain LaLiga
£73.55m
Virgil van Dijk Virgil van Dijk
Centre-Back
26 17/18 Netherlands
Suriname
Liverpool FC Liverpool
England Premier League
£70.92m
Kevin De Bruyne Kevin De Bruyne
Attacking Midfield
24 15/16 Belgium
Manchester City Man City
England Premier League
£68.40m
Ángel Di María Ángel Di María
Right Winger
26 14/15 Argentina
Italy
England Premier League
£67.50m
Riyad Mahrez Riyad Mahrez
Right Winger
27 18/19 Algeria
France
Manchester City Man City
England Premier League
£61.02m
Álvaro Morata Álvaro Morata
Centre-Forward
24 17/18 Spain
Chelsea FC Chelsea
England Premier League
£59.40m
Diego Costa Diego Costa
Centre-Forward
29 17/18 Spain
Brazil
Atlético Madrid Atlético Madrid
Spain LaLiga
£59.40m
Aymeric Laporte Aymeric Laporte
Centre-Back
23 17/18 France
Spain
Manchester City Man City
England Premier League
£58.50m
Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang
Centre-Forward
28 17/18 Gabon
France
Arsenal FC Arsenal
England Premier League
£57.38m
Raheem Sterling Raheem Sterling
Right Winger
20 15/16 England
Jamaica
Manchester City Man City
England Premier League
£57.33m
Right Winger
27 15/16 Argentina
Italy
Paris Saint-Germain Paris SG
France Ligue 1
£56.70m
Naby Keïta Naby Keïta
Central Midfield
23 18/19 Guinea
Liverpool FC Liverpool
England Premier League
£54.00m
Oscar Oscar
Attacking Midfield
25 16/17 Brazil
Shanghai SIPG SIPG
China Super League
£54.00m
Anthony Martial Anthony Martial
Left Winger
19 15/16 France
Guadeloupe
England Premier League
£54.00m
Fred Fred
Central Midfield
25 18/19 Brazil
England Premier League
£53.10m
Fernando Torres Fernando Torres
Centre-Forward
26 10/11 Spain
Chelsea FC Chelsea
England Premier League
£52.65m
Benjamin Mendy Benjamin Mendy
Left-Back
23 17/18 France
Senegal
Manchester City Man City
England Premier League
£51.75m
Jorginho Jorginho
Defensive Midfield
26 18/19 Italy
Brazil
Chelsea FC Chelsea
England Premier League
£51.30m
John Stones John Stones
Centre-Back
22 16/17 England
Manchester City Man City
England Premier League
£50.04m
Alexandre Lacazette Alexandre Lacazette
Centre-Forward
26 17/18 France
Guadeloupe
Arsenal FC Arsenal
England Premier League
£47.70m

Probably not but when you're a keeper away from winning the Champions League (and a Salah injury), why not buy the best one that's out there? It's not my money and Liverpool fans have been wanting this kind of ambition from the club for a long time. And VvD is worth every penny. Take a look at Lovren pre and post VvD. He makes Lovren and the entire backfield so much better. 

Edited by mdmost

33 minutes ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

Alisson is good, but is any keeper really worth that much?  I thought the VVD was silly, but this might really take the cake.

Worth ain't got nothing to do with it. He's the best available keeper on the market and we need a keeper. 

That's the going rate, so you pay it. Prices aren't going down...

24 minutes ago, Jograves said:

Also, I think LFC are having to pay a premium due to the Salah deal. Roma definitely feels like they were fleeced on that one and probably rightfully so. 

I don't know why they'd think they got fleeced.   Salah wasn't putting up huge numbers at Roma, although he was playing behind Dzeko that put up 29 in Salah's last season at Roma.

4 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Worth ain't got nothing to do with it. He's the best available keeper on the market and we need a keeper. 

That's the going rate, so you pay it. Prices aren't going down...

Not to nitpick, but the same could have been said for Ederson last year - who's pretty badass in his own right.   I can't remember the price off the top of my head, but I believe city paid about half of LFC just paid.

This is just my opinion but I have strange feeling that Salah may see a Vardy-like fall in production this year.  Nothing to really substantiate it but just a gut feeling.

Edited by GlenFromTheMailRoom

1 minute ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

Not to nitpick, but the same could have been said for Ederson last year - who's pretty badass in his own right.   I can't remember the price off the top of my head, but I believe city paid about half of LFC just paid.

I think the difference there is that Ederson played Benfica vs. Roma. The big question mark was "could he be good in a larger league". 

Announcer: He is

37 minutes ago, Jograves said:

Also, I think LFC are having to pay a premium due to the Salah deal. Roma definitely feels like they were fleeced on that one and probably rightfully so. 

Everything I've read suggests this is exactly where Roma priced him regardless of the buyer.

8 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

I think the difference there is that Ederson played Benfica vs. Roma. The big question mark was "could he be good in a larger league". 

Announcer: He is

If that is indeed the case, any Donnarumma transfer will absolutely shatter what LFC just paid.

For LFC's sake, It's nice to see that they finally dropped Karius.  I just don't understand overpaying for players coming off of WC hype.  James is a perfect example of this.

Edited by GlenFromTheMailRoom

58 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Now that Alisson is being reported at €75M, I went ahead and looked up the top transfers in EPL out of curiousity.

Hide contents

Philippe Coutinho Philippe Coutinho
Attacking Midfield
25 17/18 Brazil
Portugal
Spain LaLiga
£112.50m
Paul Pogba Paul Pogba
Central Midfield
23 16/17 France
Guinea
England Premier League
£94.50m
Gareth Bale Gareth Bale
Right Winger
24 13/14 Wales
Real Madrid Real Madrid
Spain LaLiga
£90.90m
Cristiano Ronaldo Cristiano Ronaldo
Centre-Forward
24 09/10 Portugal
Real Madrid Real Madrid
Spain LaLiga
£84.60m
Romelu Lukaku Romelu Lukaku
Centre-Forward
24 17/18 Belgium
DR Congo
England Premier League
£76.23m
Luis Suárez Luis Suárez
Centre-Forward
27 14/15 Uruguay
Italy
Spain LaLiga
£73.55m
Virgil van Dijk Virgil van Dijk
Centre-Back
26 17/18 Netherlands
Suriname
Liverpool FC Liverpool
England Premier League
£70.92m
Kevin De Bruyne Kevin De Bruyne
Attacking Midfield
24 15/16 Belgium
Manchester City Man City
England Premier League
£68.40m
Right Winger
26 14/15 Argentina
Italy
England Premier League
£67.50m
Riyad Mahrez Riyad Mahrez
Right Winger
27 18/19 Algeria
France
Manchester City Man City
England Premier League
£61.02m
Álvaro Morata Álvaro Morata
Centre-Forward
24 17/18 Spain
Chelsea FC Chelsea
England Premier League
£59.40m
Diego Costa Diego Costa
Centre-Forward
29 17/18 Spain
Brazil
Atlético Madrid Atlético Madrid
Spain LaLiga
£59.40m
Aymeric Laporte Aymeric Laporte
Centre-Back
23 17/18 France
Spain
Manchester City Man City
England Premier League
£58.50m
Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang
Centre-Forward
28 17/18 Gabon
France
Arsenal FC Arsenal
England Premier League
£57.38m
Raheem Sterling Raheem Sterling
Right Winger
20 15/16 England
Jamaica
Manchester City Man City
England Premier League
£57.33m
Right Winger
27 15/16 Argentina
Italy
Paris Saint-Germain Paris SG
France Ligue 1
£56.70m
Naby Keïta Naby Keïta
Central Midfield
23 18/19 Guinea
Liverpool FC Liverpool
England Premier League
£54.00m
Oscar Oscar
Attacking Midfield
25 16/17 Brazil
Shanghai SIPG SIPG
China Super League
£54.00m
Anthony Martial Anthony Martial
Left Winger
19 15/16 France
Guadeloupe
England Premier League
£54.00m
Fred Fred
Central Midfield
25 18/19 Brazil
England Premier League
£53.10m
Fernando Torres Fernando Torres
Centre-Forward
26 10/11 Spain
Chelsea FC Chelsea
England Premier League
£52.65m
Benjamin Mendy Benjamin Mendy
Left-Back
23 17/18 France
Senegal
Manchester City Man City
England Premier League
£51.75m
Jorginho Jorginho
Defensive Midfield
26 18/19 Italy
Brazil
Chelsea FC Chelsea
England Premier League
£51.30m
John Stones John Stones
Centre-Back
22 16/17 England
Manchester City Man City
England Premier League
£50.04m
Alexandre Lacazette Alexandre Lacazette
Centre-Forward
26 17/18 France
Guadeloupe
Arsenal FC Arsenal
England Premier League
£47.70m

This is the crux of what is my most unpopular argument among my fellow arsenal fans, one that i've held for years:

Arsenal fans are completely delusional with their expectations and their view of the club. We have two signings on that list, one at 17 and the other at 25, yet Arsenal fans expect/demand that Arsenal perennially compete with the likes of city/chelsea/united, when in reality we should be competing with the likes of liverpool and tottenham. every summer our fans scoff at the idea that we could ever hope to sign players like Reus, Muller, Vidal, Dybala, Veratti, etc, and then they turn around and expect us to win the league, while discounting/downplaying finishing top 4 and winning the fa cup. it would be like texas basketball fans expecting/demanding us to go to the elite 8 every year as opposed to perennially vying for the conference title and a favored tourney seed. 

3 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

This is the crux of what is my most unpopular argument among my fellow arsenal fans, one that i've held for years:

Arsenal fans are completely delusional with their expectations and their view of the club. We have two signings on that list, one at 17 and the other at 25, yet Arsenal fans expect/demand that Arsenal perennially compete with the likes of city/chelsea/united, when in reality we should be competing with the likes of liverpool and tottenham. every summer our fans scoff at the idea that we could ever hope to sign players like Reus, Muller, Vidal, Dybala, Veratti, etc, and then they turn around and expect us to win the league, while discounting/downplaying finishing top 4 and winning the fa cup. it would be like texas basketball fans expecting/demanding us to go to the elite 8 every year as opposed to perennially vying for the conference title and a favored tourney seed. 

Well, yeah.   You're more of an observer than a fan if you don't want your team win championships, especially in a league were you actually get penalized for tanking.   It's pretty well fucking documented that all Arsenal fans hated our transfer policies under Wenger.  

12 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Everything I've read suggests this is exactly where Roma priced him regardless of the buyer.

You're right but what I'm trying to say not very clearly is I don't think Roma were willing to let LFC negotiate at all because of the Salah deal. I could be way off base, but I recall an article during the CL semis about Roma's valuation of Salah and how it would affect future deals. 

13 minutes ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

If that is indeed the case, any Donnarumma transfer will absolutely shatter what LFC just paid.

For LFC's sake, It's nice to see that they finally dropped Karius.  I just don't understand overpaying for players coming off of WC hype.  James is a perfect example of this.

LFC have been pursuing Alisson for over a year. HIs WC performance had little, if anything, to do with it. 

4 minutes ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

Well, yeah.   You're more of an observer than a fan if you don't want your team win championships, especially in a league were you actually get penalized for tanking.   It's pretty well fucking documented that all Arsenal fans hated our transfer policies under Wenger.  

what? who said anything about not wanting arsenal to win titles?

15 minutes ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

Pretty sure the price didn't change since last winter when Liverpool approached Roma about Alisson. The World Cup had nothing to do with this price. They knew Liverpool had money to burn after selling Coutinho for a record fee. Liverpool and Klopp were fine with standing pat at the time and not splurging. Then Karius had his struggles and the price is now pretty agreeable to LFC. The initial fee LFC offered was less but Roma quickly swatted that away. So LFC didn't want to lose him to Chelsea. I honestly thought we'd buy Butland from Stoke or some other Karius 2.0 option. 

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

They knew Liverpool had money to burn after selling Coutinho for a record fee. 

Confused. Since 17/18

Out

£112.50m - Phil

£25m - Sahko

In 

£70.92m - Virgil van Dijk

£37.80m - Mohamed Salah

£34.20m - Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain

£54.00m - Naby Keïta

£13.23m - Xherdan Shaqiri

£40.50m - Fabinho

£62 - Alisson

giphy.gif

4 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Confused. Since 17/18

Out

£112.50m - Phil

£25m - Sahko

In 

£70.92m - Virgil van Dijk

£37.80m - Mohamed Salah

£34.20m - Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain

£54.00m - Naby Keïta

£13.23m - Xherdan Shaqiri

£40.50m - Fabinho

£62 - Alisson

giphy.gif

Klopp's net spend since he took over was well in the black before this summer. He'll be at about -£140m after Alisson. They've been stockpiling cash and are burning it now.

I expect a few sales before this window closes too. Nothing that'll take a huge dent out of the £140m but we'll see. I think Fekir still happens too. 

10 hours ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

Alisson had about as quiet a WC as you could imagine. His (admittedly inflated) transfer fee has nothing to do with the WC.

Some smoke around Pjanic to CFC in the Chelsea thread.  I think it's unlikely as I don't think Rugani, Higuan (which appears more likely each day) and Pjanic will all be sold from Juventus to CFC.

But if we somehow held onto Hazard and got Pjanic with Jorginho and Kante already in the midfield, we might not ever lose the ball.

Are we not going to talk about the Pablo Aranguiz signing? Massive stuff.

On a more serious note, sounds like Napoli is trying to get Cavani. Would be an interesting fit, though it would make sense for him to go and balance the books in an area that PSG has a ton of talent.