Meta World Least

Trey3216

7 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I dabbled with myspace but have never signed up for the facing book because I didn't get into myspace at all.

Was it functionality? Widespread adoption? Or the algorithms that made facebook take off where myspace failed?  Some combination?  I never saw them as that fundamentally different at the beginning. Obviously facebook far outstripped it.

The .edu address was key. Facebook became known as a site that was cool among a critical demographic, which was not just the youths, but the youths in college. The artificial scarcity and the illusion of exclusivity made it a more desirable place to be than MySpace, which was for Tila Tequila. There was some greed and mismanagement but what it really boiled down to was influencers before influencers were a thing. The behavior and preferences of college kids is an outsize driver of culture. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I dabbled with myspace but have never signed up for the facing book because I didn't get into myspace at all.

Was it functionality? Widespread adoption? Or the algorithms that made facebook take off where myspace failed?  Some combination?  I never saw them as that fundamentally different at the beginning. Obviously facebook far outstripped it.

4 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

The .edu address was key. Facebook became known as a site that was cool among a critical demographic, which was not just the youths, but the youths in college. The artificial scarcity and the illusion of exclusivity made it a more desirable place to be than MySpace, which was for Tila Tequila. There was some greed and mismanagement but what it really boiled down to was influencers before influencers were a thing. The behavior and preferences of college kids is an outsize driver of culture. 

Facebook had a better/easier-to-use-and-understand interface than MySpace.  FB was always tweaking the interface/testing new stuff.  MySpace could sometimes get into a rut.

Pretty good article on the evolution of FB's interface - the newsfeed was added in 2006 (and the newsfeed can't be overstated) along with them opening it up to the public.  They added a mobile interface in 2007 when smartphones were barely a thing - 2007 was when the original iPhone launched.  Prior to 2007, smartphones had really shitty screens/interfaces, cell phone data use was....poor, and they were really confined to businesses.

https://medium.com/@siddartha.kandikonda/when-we-start-designing-any-project-i-was-told-by-the-clients-to-refer-to-facebook-and-they-would-9ce4c980a9bd

MySpace wasn't quite GeoCities, but FB seemed to be running ahead of them in adapting new technologies.

I could be very wrong though, but I remember when I got on FB, that the design was much better than MySpace (particularly for my older relatives when they were able to join FB later on).

On 10/29/2021 at 9:31 PM, atomheartbevo said:

Facebook had a better/easier-to-use-and-understand interface than MySpace.  FB was always tweaking the interface/testing new stuff.  MySpace could sometimes get into a rut.

Pretty good article on the evolution of FB's interface - the newsfeed was added in 2006 (and the newsfeed can't be overstated) along with them opening it up to the public.  They added a mobile interface in 2007 when smartphones were barely a thing - 2007 was when the original iPhone launched.  Prior to 2007, smartphones had really shitty screens/interfaces, cell phone data use was....poor, and they were really confined to businesses.

https://medium.com/@siddartha.kandikonda/when-we-start-designing-any-project-i-was-told-by-the-clients-to-refer-to-facebook-and-they-would-9ce4c980a9bd

MySpace wasn't quite GeoCities, but FB seemed to be running ahead of them in adapting new technologies.

I could be very wrong though, but I remember when I got on FB, that the design was much better than MySpace (particularly for my older relatives when they were able to join FB later on).

MySpace held true to its original vision of being an online version of some kid’s diary. Facebook decided to go the more rapey route. 

On 10/30/2021 at 9:41 PM, Biff Tannen said:

MySpace held true to its original vision of being an online version of some kid’s diary. Facebook decided to go the more rapey route. 

They are planning retail stores, so now they are going the Apple/Microsoft route.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/11/05/meta-is-reportedly-planning-retail-stores-as-it-pushes-into-metaverse.html

The stores, which have no slated opening date, will allow the company to showcase devices like virtual reality headsets and teleconferencing gadgets that allow people to video chat through Facebook, the Times reported. It would be the social media company’s first physical store.

News of the company’s vision comes about a week after Facebook changed its name to Meta. It said it’s shifting focus to building a virtual world or metaverse where users can socialize, work and play. The retail plans, which The Times said could be scrapped, indicate Meta is in need of a real-world presence to showcase what it can do in the virtual world.

I can just picture a store full of old people with VR headsets on, and they are living out what we all experienced 10-15 years ago in Second Life. 

It'll be an R-rated version of this:

hotdogs-dicks.gif

Also, I'm claiming dibs on setting up the new GOR world in Facebook's Metaverse, it'll be superior to Second Life's GOR world.

Too many are missing out on the reason for this change.  Zuckerberg will claim to CEO of Meta and be at an arms length away from Facebook or Instagram apps. “Congress - you want me to testify about Facebook’s impact on children, I’m not involved in day to day operations or decisions so my testimony will be limited.” He’ll pay someone big bucks to take the heat about Facebook or Instagram.

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Too many are missing out on the reason for this change.  Zuckerberg will claim to CEO of Meta and be at an arms length away from Facebook or Instagram apps. “Congress - you want me to testify about Facebook’s impact on children, I’m not involved in day to day operations or decisions so my testimony will be limited.” He’ll pay someone big bucks to take the heat about Facebook or Instagram.

Well that, and it's probably setting up structures to prepare to divest, and/or give the illusion of divestiture.

4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Maybe if he knew how to read the room.  But he doesn't, which is why he's staying.

I honestly have been expected something like this (a reorg plus a push into metaverse stuff) for several years. Facebook didn't buy into VR/Oculus for shits and giggles, and Oculus wasn't a potential FB competitor.

Zuckerberg seems exactly like the type to have thought about Second Life for years, probably even obsessed over it.  He's probably read Snowcrash and Neuromancer a few dozen times.

Well this is predictable.

http://meta.company

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here’s the text if you don’t want to click through.

For Immediate Public Release
Facebook Stole Our Name and Livelihood

Hello, World!

We are Meta Company.

Original Flavor.

For the last three months, Facebook lawyers have been hounding us to sell our name to them. We refused their offer on multiple bases. Namely, the low offer wouldn’t cover the costs of changing our name, and we insisted on knowing the client and intent, which they did not want to disclose.

At least two law firms were involved: One in the USA that requested our trademark and domains (Kilpatrick, Townsend & Stockton), and the other in Europe aggressively contacting trying to get us to sell our domain registrations (Hogan Lovells).

On October 20th, 2021, during a phone call with Facebook attorneys, we declined their low offer and maintained our requirements. At this point, we presumed it was Facebook and identified them on the call. The attorney representing Facebook declared they would respect our existing right and registration.

On October 28th, 2021, Facebook decided to commit trademark infringement and call themselves “Meta”.

They couldn’t buy us, so they tried to bury us by force of media. We shouldn't be surprised by these actions — from a company that continually says one thing and does another. Facebook and its operating officers are deceitful and acting in bad faith, not only towards us, but to all of humanity.

It's unfortunate to have been associated with a company so rooted in controversy and fixated on domination. We aim to be distinguished from Facebook's totalitarian view of the future. We hope the negative association with Facebook and its founder will be forgotten — but we won't ignore the damages done.

We have proceeded to file the necessary legal actions. This message may be regarded as a public cease and desist. We welcome your support.

One more thing: Our new product launch just got delayed because of Facebook. We must deal with these matters. In the coming weeks, we will make an announcement earlier than we expected. We promise it will be good. Stay tuned.

Thank You.

Sincerely,
Nate Skulic
Founder, MetaCompany

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk