King Richard

PenelopeWitherspoon

This just came out today, and it is one of the HBO Max at same time release.  I thought it was absolutely solid, and I see Will Smith an Oscar nominee.  He is really, really good in this.  

And if you did not know the story of Venus and Serena Williams, it is a very good telling of how they, and their half sisters, were raised in one of the hardest places in the United States to grow up.  

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/18/movies/king-richard-review-will-smith.html

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon

On 11/19/2021 at 12:03 PM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

This just came out today, and it is one of the HBO Max at same time release.  I thought it was absolutely solid, and I see Will Smith an Oscar nominee.  He is really, really good in this.  

And if you did not know the story of Venus and Serena Williams, it is a very good telling of how they, and their half sisters, were raised in one of the hardest places in the United States to grow up.  

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/18/movies/king-richard-review-will-smith.html

Everything she said.

May be Smiths best acting job, ever. Totally forget its him throughout the movie. Bernthal and the mom were also fantastic.

Very good movie

Nor do they address the fact that Williams moved his family from Long Beach to Compton for the expressed purpose of forcing his girls to grow up in a tough environment because he believed that would give them a mental toughness advantage in tennis. Of course it would later prove ill-fated when the eldest girl Tunde was murdered in a shootout in the early 2000s. 

I thought Will Smith did a great job.   Beyond that it was boring, yea the girls did great for the what three years they covered?    Would have been a lot better if they covered the fallout between them and their father.   

Edited by Hook1997

5 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Nor do they address the fact that Williams moved his family from Long Beach to Compton for the expressed purpose of forcing his girls to grow up in a tough environment because he believed that would give them a mental toughness advantage in tennis. Of course it would later prove ill-fated when the eldest girl Tunde was murdered in a shootout in the early 2000s. 

They covered that in the movie

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...