We are not the Joneses

DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

Oh we're not? Tell me, who is paying more per win than we are? Exactly.

That makes us the Joneses... not a program wandering the desert for more than a decade with no end in sight and about to move to a conference with a jillion other football powerhouses that makes it even hard to win. But hey, winning a "pod" in the SEC is on part with making the national championship game for any other school, right?

3 minutes ago, n64ra said:

It sucks but true. Strong and Sark were bad hires for the Jones. Herman was decent. It's clearly Bama #1. is it LSU and USC next? ND and OU ought to be able to keep their 1 or 2 loss coaches so what are they?

I actually didn't have an issue with the Strong hire or the Herman hire. Both seemed like good hires at the time. And I never quite got the Herman hate for performance as it seemed like we were trending up, albeit slowly. His stuff with making fun of the Mizzou QB and seeing him shake during a stressful point in a game was very weird. I don't think he would have taken us to the promised land, but I don't know that he did enough to get fired. That may be revisionist history.

Sark? I'm actually not out on him yet given it's his first year (although losing to Kansas makes it really fucking hard). But I never saw why people were excited about his hire. I like him on a person level, but the results just suck. 

18 minutes ago, ChickenNuggets said:

I keep saying... our culture at UT would crush Saban.... We are to coaches what the Cleveland Browns are to quarterbacks... Bring in the best if you want.. But our culture (fans/admin/BMDs) will find a way to destroy them... #undefeated.

I disagree. I feel like our culture is "Show me first. And if you do I'll make you Scrooge McDuck rich. But you gotta prove it first."

I believe with a coach like Saban he's already proven it so there would be tons of trust in the building process. 

Texas' problem is leadership takes a lot of gambles on unproven coaches. What coach has Texas ever hired that was a proven championship winner?

Texas Coaches:

Darrell Royal (HC Record before Texas 17-13)       167-47 at Texas   Hit

Fred Akers (HC Record before Texas 10-13)          86-31 at Texas    Hit

David McWilliams (HC Record before Texas 7-4)    31-26 at Texas    Miss

John Mackovic (HC Record before Texas 44-36)    41-28 at Texas   Miss

Mack Brown (HC Record before Texas 69-46)        158-48 at Texas   Hit

Charlie Strong (HC Record before Texas 37-16)      16-21 at Texas    Miss

Tom Herman (HC Record before Texas 22-4)           32-18 at Texas   Miss

Steve Sarkesian (HC Record before Texas 46-35)       5-7 at Texas     ?

As you can see, Texas has never gone and money whipped a proven coach pretty much ever.

• Hook 'Em 1

Some of you sure are some cliff jumping fuckers. You've got a shit ton of herd panic that we helped create by the SEC move. LSU might or might not have made a good hire, and our current in-conference rival just got kicked in the nuts. I wasn't sold on Sarkisian, but at least let the fucker recruit one class... This is gonna be one of the longest off-seasons on record

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I actually didn't have an issue with the Strong hire or the Herman hire. Both seemed like good hires at the time. And I never quite got the Herman hate for performance as it seemed like we were trending up, albeit slowly. His stuff with making fun of the Mizzou QB and seeing him shake during a stressful point in a game was very weird. I don't think he would have taken us to the promised land, but I don't know that he did enough to get fired. That may be revisionist history.

Sark? I'm actually not out on him yet given it's his first year (although losing to Kansas makes it really fucking hard). But I never saw why people were excited about his hire. I like him on a person level, but the results just suck. 

Agree with you on the Herman hire but not Strong. The stuff you note for Herman was immature. Also remember the middle finger for LHN? I think he was fired more for his hanlding of the EoT last year than football performance. Sark was a scramble hire.

1 minute ago, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot said:

Some of you sure are some cliff jumping fuckers. You've got a shit ton of herd panic that we helped create by the SEC move. LSU might or might not have made a good hire, and our current in-conference rival just got kicked in the nuts. I wasn't sold on Sarkisian, but at least let the fucker recruit one class... This is gonna be one of the longest off-seasons on record

In order to have panic, you have to give a shit, and I think most here have run out of shits to give. We're basically talking about the weather here.

5 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

we are guardrail to guardrail

Chuck - apparently nice guy incompetent

Herman - apparently major douche competent

Sark - apparently nice guy(though the alcohol recovery story is probably the driving factor at this point) apparently incompetent

We are doing what Texas does.  Hire a guy at a going rate or 5M or so and price in cutting the check in 4 years if he doesn't work out.

1 minute ago, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot said:

FairCarefulBlacklemur-max-1mb.gif

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, n64ra said:

Agree with you on the Herman hire but not Strong. The stuff you note for Herman was immature. Also remember the middle finger for LHN? I think he was fired more for his hanlding of the EoT last year than football performance. Sark was a scramble hire.

Bingo. He pissed off a lot of the big cigars and donations were starting to be threatened. The move had to be made. 

Edited by RoyalBevo21