What Do You Call Your Grandparents?

MaybeACoordinator

Called both grandmothers Mommee (both syllables same accent, not first like Mommy). Have no idea where that came from, but all the other cousins used the same, and had much older cousins on both sides.  I was raised in Dallas, but parents, aunts, and uncles raised in Sherman, where my grandparents lived until they died.  Maternal grandfather was Grandad, paternal was Poppy.  Called step grandfather and step grandmother by their first names, Arthur and Frankie.

Wife is Granma. DIL wanted something different for me. Oldest grandchild born about when Sean Combs changed his name from Puff Daddy to P Diddy, so she started the granddaughter to using G-Daddy. That's evolved to Gee.  All grandkids use that for me.

As a side note about adults using childish monikers, my dad and his sister called and referred to each other as Bubba and Baby until their deaths (age 82 and 90)  Grandmother (Mommie Reynolds) called them that until her death, in her eighties.

Dead?

csb: During wedding rehersals for my sister a group of us were waiting in the vestibule, or whatever, for our cue. Friend of my sister's notices a family name of mine/ours on the stained glass (church was practically built by my family over the years), and asks me who that name is,

"Oh, that is our grandmother," I reply.

My sister's (blonde) friend, "Oh. Will she be joining us later?"

"I believe she here with is with us right now."

#here's your sign

/csb

Both sides were called Grandma & Grandpa LastName, but my dad was in the military and I only got to be around them a handful of times. My dad's from Indiana and they used Mamie (rhymes with whammy) and Pawpaw, so he wanted to be called pawpaw. I can't stand it, so I call him "Your grandfather" when I talk to my kids. My mom wanted to be called Gran, but she got stuck with grandma. My kids call my ex-inlaws Nana and Papa.

Mother's side: Grandma & Grandpa

Father's side: Mama & Papa

First of the four died in 1972, the last in 1996.  Bevotte said in the "Four people you would want to have dinner with" it would be her grandparents.  Same here.

Edited by Bullneck

On 5/22/2018 at 6:06 PM, ajax said:

In my parent's native language there's a different word for paternal and maternal grandfather. Same for grandmother. 

It's just overly complicated. 

Same in my parents' native language and culture. It just makes more sense that way. Your grandparent is able to ascertain what his/her relationship to you is based on how you address him/her.

Panhandle on both sides (Amarillo)

Maternal: Grandma & PawPaw

Paternal: Grandpa (surname) & first name (dad's mom passed when he was a kid)

I was lucky enough to also get a Great Grandpa & Great Grandma (known as Momma & Poppa to everyone else).

My "Grandma" did not like the sound of being called "Great Grandma" so my kids call her "Super Grandma" and she loves it.

Paternal:  Mimi and Pawpaw

Maternal: Nana pronounced Nanny.  (never met grandfather he died before oldest could talk so no name)

I'm from Texas

My kids call my Mom Granny and My Dad Grandpa.   My in-laws are Grammy and D.