What Do You Call Your Grandparents?

MaybeACoordinator

Guest Lobo

I still find it odd when grown men refer to their grandparents by their childhood nicknames ('Mee-Maw', etc.) when there aren't any children around.  

It's hard to keep a straight face at a business conference when a man in a suit says, "I'm hoping to visit my Paw-Paw while I'm in town this week."  

Dad's side- Grandmother Surname, Grandfather Surname

Mom's side- Grandma Surname, Grandpa Surname

From Texas

But I married into the claptrap that is a Pa-Paw and MeeMaw and MaMaw and Meemi

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

One set, grandma and grandpa, other Oma and Opa, although she becomes Grossmutter when she was upset with us. 

My kids call my mom Mimi for whatever reason. Not sure why it’s gaining in popularity. 

I had a Mimi too but that was her nickname, not her "grandmother name." And both my dad and I called his dad Pops. Mom's side -- more nicknames from their youth: Moe and Susy. Moe got that name during the war -- he got stuck with it in the Army, and it was short for Moron. And he bore it proudly for the next 60 years. Susy had another name but her obstetrician pretty much decided she was a little Susy and that was that. 

Maternal, Texas: Grandad and step grandma's name, but as I got older I called her Grandma.  It's just what felt right.

Paternal, Colorado: Grandma and step grandpa's name.  You didn't call him "Grandpa" or "Grandad," but he did teach me fishin, basic carpentry/ plumbing, and that keeping a Hustler out in the toolchest in the garage was OK.  He loved us grandkids like a motherfucker, but nobody called him anything but his given name.

My kids( Texas) call my mom "Nana" like the end of banana

I am 47 and want my grandkids to call me, "Grandad" like I did mine; but I bet they make that call with or without my consent.  LOL.

Edited by slorch

Maternal: Gramama, Grandaddy.

Paternal: Bigmama. Bigdaddy.

I have been tested. I am whiter than Prince Harry.

I am from Selma, Alabama. Gramama and Grandaddy from same general region. Bigmama and Bigdaddy were from southern Mississippi hills. We have a song about us.

Edited by RDCanecutter
gotta have a fiddle in the band.

Grandma and grandpa, and I'm from Texas. However not one of my 4 grandparents could speak english, and my spanish is not amazing so I always had a hard time communicating with them. 

The "meemaw, pawpaw, nana" shit sounds so weird when spoken by someone over the age of 10. Never understood it. 

Depends. If I am talking to someone outside my immediate family, I refer to them as my Grandma and Grandpa. But if I'm talking to immediate family, or to him directly, my grandpa gets the special "Grandy" treatment. (miss ya Grandy)

Austin born & raised

Edited by GotThatFire

5 minutes ago, ajax said:

In my parent's native language there's a different word for paternal and maternal grandfather. Same for grandmother. 

It's just overly complicated. 

Chao Bac

Poppa and Grammie on mom's side.

Geeses because I butchered whatever it was she was wanting me to call her on my dad's side.

ChaCha for my grandfather because I was an insensitive little prick as a vocalizing toddler and that was the vocalization of what I thought his Parkinson's tremors looked like.

5 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

Maternal: Gramama, Grandaddy.

Paternal: Bigmama. Bigdaddy.

I have been tested. I am whiter than Prince Harry.

I am from Selma, Alabama. Gramama and Grandaddy from same general region. Bigmama and Bigdaddy were from southern Mississippi hills. We have a song about us.

We’s to treat him like like white folks, BigDaddy? 

• Like 1

Born in Florida. Called my maternal GPs there Grandmother & Grandaddy. Grandmother was full Seminole & was not to be fucked with, or you'd hear "Go cut me a switch". Not good if you heard that. Paternal GPs in Tennessee were called Nanny (but spelled Nana ... weird) & Papa.

All by their choice. 

Edited by wood

Didn't really have a relationship with my mom's parents (called my mom's mom Nanny).

My dad's parents - Gangy and Paw Paw.  My cousin (dad's sister's daughter) tried to call my grandmother Grandma but it came out Gangy and it stuck.

My mom is MeeMaw and my dad is Pap Pap for my son.  I'm from TX.

Dad's dad ran away when he was a kid, so never met him.

Dad's mom was Nanny.

Mom's parents were Papaw and Papaw's Nanny. She died when I was 5 so that really only came up when discussing her in the past tense.

My kids call there grandparents on my side UhUh and MamaUhUh, or if you are my daughter, she has change that to MaUh and Uh. The story is that when my son was little, they had him over for a week and my mom was still working. My dad spend the entire weeking telling my son after he touched something 'Nuhuh' constantly. And so my son just started calling him that.

Dead.

This.

Maternal: pawpaw (actually not really sure how we spelled it) and grandma.

Paternal: Lita and Lito (short for abuelita and abuelito)

Oh yeah...

I was born and raised in Houston, my mom is from San Antonio and my pops is from Costa Rica (Lita was Brazilian, Lito was Costa Rican).