Arkansas/Ozarks

Royalfan5

The wife and I have been kicking around the idea of a late spring/early summer trip down to Lake of the Ozarks/Eureka Springs/Hot Springs or other locations. Probably focus mostly on hiking and such. I’ve canoed the White River years and enjoyed that but I’m probably not getting her in a canoe. Any places that you folks would recommend? 

There are several rentals around the Ponca area.  Tough to beat the Buffalo National River.  Tons of hike there.  Make sure to hit Whitacre Point and see the elk in Boxley.

We have rented this spot: https://abnb.me/SwrPFKn8nnb .

It’s in a great location to access the Ozark National Forest.  This is a very underrated area of the state.

No matter where you stay make sure to buy this book and bring it with: Arkansas waterfalls guidebook https://www.amazon.com/dp/1882906489/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_MG7WBYX3X17R184Q40NT .  Best time to go is spring.  Hiking and floating to be had everywhere.

make sure to stock up on groceries and booze because all of the places worth staying or going are remote as hell and won’t have much by way of commerce.

Hope this helps.  We try to go at least once a year. 

ETA-these are North central AR recs.

Edited by harold
  • Hook 'Em 1

If you need a food recommendation, go to Deluca’s.

It’s top five pizza for me, and I’m a total asshole when it comes to pizza. Not sure how or why the owner ended up there from NYC, but the shit is Fucking amazing.

If you want a cool old spot for pie, Shangri-la resort has amazing pies. It’s an old 1960’s hotel on the lake, with a great cafe.

• Hook 'Em 1

There is great hiking in the Ponca area in the Buffalo River wilderness. You can use Eureka Springs as a base of operations. Some good food and drink there. A beautiful, underrated part of the country.

Centerpoint/Goat Trail
ac67d38ed22c1ca368ff538359f51e88.jpg

14a6c0bc5373fac4e687015eb795e697.jpg

97921a0c7b1c32e88581e8c4f17c532a.jpg

Whitaker Point (aka Hawksbill Crag)

b836203d42c9d4612c697061a89c9c82.jpg

Hemmed In Hollow

9d2ff8aa723254573f6f2772148f0c13.jpg

0d9bac276bd2fe43dfbe818b59849c9b.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Pams grotto-HC

Native American falls-SG

Haw creek falls-HC

Pack rat falls-HC

Kings bluff-SG

Pedestal rock-SG

Buzzards roost-SG

Six finger falls-SG

Terry Keefe falls-SG

Alum cove natural bridge-SG

Big cave creek falls-SG—wet trails

This was our list last spring break.  SG is short for Sand Gap and HC is for Hurricane Creek.  Those were the two places we stayed.  All of these trails were incredible and off the beaten path.  We saw maybe 10 other people maximum at each location.  

There is a ton of bang for your buck on Upper Falling Water road that runs along Falling water creek.  It will be labeled at County Road 1205 in Witt County.  If the creeks and rivers are running there are 5-6 cool hikes you can hit in one day there.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/5/2022 at 7:47 PM, scottsins said:

It’s top five pizza for me, and I’m a total asshole when it comes to pizza. Not sure how or why the owner ended up there from NYC, but the shit is Fucking amazing.

Do you even witness protection program, bro?

On 2/5/2022 at 7:47 PM, scottsins said:

If you want a cool old spot for pie, Shangri-la resort has amazing pies. It’s an old 1960’s hotel on the lake, with a great cafe.

Love DeLuca’s. Also love pounding cheep beer and eating “Chicago Style” and I use that term loosely at Rocky’s Corner. Right across from the race track.

• 9 months later...