Givling Trivia app (Pays off Student Loans/Mortgage)

MillerEP

I forgot to bring this over from the other board. A few of y'all have jumped on, but for those who don't know this is an app for both iOS and Android, designed to pay off student loans or part of your mortgage. It was started by a retired couple who threw their life savings into trying to "abolish" student loans. Essentially what they do is allow users to watch three 30-second video ads an hour and the ad revenue they generate goes into one designated bank account. When the account hits $50,000 they pay off 1 person's student loan up to $50,000 for loans and up to $25,000 towards a mortgage, any remaining money goes towards the next person in the queue.  The queue is determined by a point system. To accumulate points, you can do three things:

1) play a pretty hard trivia game up to 2 free plays a day, which adds up the points you accumulate during that trivia match + 1000 points for each playthrough.

2) Purchase trivia app replay tokens or participate in their approved "partners" offers (clothes, mattresses, insurance)

3) Watch the 30-second ads and spin a wheel at the end of each video to get anywhere from 1 point up to 500 points.

It's still fairly new so they've only paid off 17 loans so far, and are averaging about 1 loan every 2 weeks. The top person in the queue has about 6million points, I started only a couple months ago and I'm fairly diligent in playing my 2 free rounds a day and watching the 3 videos every few hours and I'm already at 1.5million, about to break the top 100 in the queue. Their goal is to get to 1 loan paid off a day, which they may be on track to do with enough people. They're also completely transparent, so you can check the rules and queues at any time to figure out where you fit. 

If y'all are interested let me know, you can use my invite code: EM373667

• Like 1

Not to my knowledge, but since you gain the most points watching the ads (which you can start and then set aside until it's over) then you really don't even need to technically participate in the trivia, you can just start a match, get 3 wrong immediately by letting the timer go out and then collect your 1000 points for "playing" and it takes no real time. To incentivize you to try with the trivia, they randomly match you up with 2 other people and combine your scores, the top scoring team at the end of the day gets to split a money pot (or they can opt to put it towards the current loan queue). I've never gotten anywhere close to the top for daily trivia though because the questions are fairly niche in many cases.

• 3 weeks later...

They expanded capacity, so I don't think an invite code is required anymore (but it'll still be a lot cooler if you used mine). Also, they changed it a bit where your score on the trivia games actually floats around a bit longer allowing you more chances at winning the daily pot. Instead of attaching to just the 1 match you're currently playing. The latest daily pots are routinely hitting around 4-5K now. The app is growing.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, woohorn said:

So the few highest scores at the top get big pay offs and the vast majority of players at lower levels don't cash in?

Kinda like a triangle, or a....

Heh, not really but I can see how people would think that. There are actually 2 queues. A green one and an orange one (indicated by the color of the circle around the avatars in the queue) every player is automatically placed in both queues and you can't ever lose points only gain points. To gain points in the green queue you play a round of trivia whenever you want, you watch 30 second ads (caps out at 3 an hour so not to punish people who have lives/work) and then spin a wheel after each ad which is a random number generator, and you get how many points it lands on, AND you can gain points by buying merchandise from their store (socks, stickers, shirts, sweats),  buying replay coins to get more chances at trivia (they have a daily monetary prize they give out to the winner after 24 hours to give people a reason to keep playing), and participating with their preferred partners. This is called the "no holds barred" or "cowboy queue" because it's basically for big spenders who are buying their way to the top. They want to promote this because the goal is to pay off people's loans as fast as possible.

Now the orange queue is for people who don't want to spend any money. The orange queue only gets points for playing the trivia and watching the ads that's it. They alternate in the queue paying off 1 green queue loan, and then one orange queue loan. So it's fair. Since you never lose points, only gain them then if you wait long enough and are active enough then eventually they'll get around to you even if you never donated a dime (just time crowdsourcing the ad revenue). No "pyramid" really about it, they try to also be as transparent as possible, so you can check the queue in real time from your phone at any time. Since they only pay off 1 loan at a time you can see the progress we're making collectively on the home screen and they flash the daily trivia prize so you can easily calculate how much was raised and where the money is going. The reason people are so eager to get others to sign up isn't out of any real benefit to them, as much as they want more eyes watching ads, meaning more money going towards the current loan. It's still relatively new, so we're averaging a loan every 2 weeks or so. So you can imagine how eager person 200 is to get to 1 loan a day or better, given that there is only 52 weeks in a year. 

Here is a screenshot of the queue notice the color around the pictures, one green one orange. You'll also see estyle113 is there twice (one orange one green), which means he's not really a big spender but may have dropped a couple bucks once or twice to open up enough of a separation. You can only get your loan paid off once though, so if they reach his green circle first his orange disappears:

Image may contain: 3 people, people smiling

Edited by MillerEP

2 hours ago, woohorn said:

I don't know anything about bots or how they work, but this sounds like the kinda thing they would be helpful with.

Humans don't stand a chance. GL though.

I'm not sure how bots can participate since you gain points by watching ads or buying stuff (for green queue). I'm not sure what a bot could do for you, or where it would help.

3 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

I’m confused. How is getting thousands of people wasting enormous time playing trivia games to hit the top of the payoff board helpful in the aggregate for society? Is it a for profit company?

They are a For Profit, but they also have a 503? 502? whatever? "Foundation." It was started by an older couple from their retirement savings with the goal in mind to "eliminate student loans" since they felt it was an ill and drain on society or something like that, I'll see if I could find the email from the founder they sent out a few months ago with their story. You can read the legal jargon from the app, but they post it on their webpage too (here: https://givling.com/givling/faq). The company takes 10% for expenses, but 45% goes towards the current loan being paid off, and the other 45% goes to the daily trivia winners split 3 ways so each gets roughly $4-5k a piece, with the option to donate the winnings into the current queue, which a few have done. The bulk of the revenue comes from watching ads though. I think I saw on the unofficial Facebook page (so don't quote me on this) that for every 1 ad 1 person watches they get 25 cents, 35 cents if you interact with the ad, and 75 cents if you download the app the ad is for and play a few levels.

4 hours ago, txhorns said:

From my understanding they also pay on mortgages as well.  I think if you "win" that you can use the funds for a family members loan too.  MillerEP can probably clarify these.

This is correct, you can choose to apply it towards either your student loan or mortgage or somebody else's student loans or mortgage (or multiple peoples up to $50,000). Their main goal is to eliminate student loans, but they knew that was a smaller market, so they do mortgages too to incentivize more players. You can read the FAQ here: https://givling.com/givling/faq

By all means though guys, don't take my word alone for it, check it out. If you do though use my invite code (EMEM373667) so I can get extra trivia game tokens, which I tend to waste because I suck at their trivia. You can see news reports and winner's stories on their Youtube page for additional proof: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg6X1-frOQMrL1-26JRwkoQ

And of course you can go to their site and read their rules and FAQs, and read all the legal stuff yourself here: https://givling.com/givling/legal

Edited by MillerEP

I play rarely, but I can attest that it is legit. One of my best friends had $50K paid off her student loan. In fact, her video just featured on their website/Facebook page a couple of days ago. She was in at the ground floor, and once they changed the rules to limit the amount you could pay per week, figured out she could secure a top funder spot by paying into it each week. She got out a lot more than she put in.

It's a pretty cool concept, and given the only mandatory cost is time, no one is really being hurt by it.

Edited by Longhornmaniac8
  • Like 1

I'm normally the MVP of my Trivial Pursuit teams (I have sports knowledge. Nerds rarely have sports knowledge.). I'm probably a genius, I don't know. But, this app eats my lunch. I go 3 and out vs number 1 contributor at something like a 20 to 1 clip.

Fun though.

• 1 month later...

Good time to jump in, last 2 loans we paid off we hit our daily goal (arbitrarily set by the Givling people) every single day, which means we've been getting daily bonuses of 150,000 free points as well as 10x on the spin queues. The bears (givling employees) have also been throwing a lot of double-point incentives if you want to spend money and go up in the green queue. Personally, I avoid most of the green queue stuff because there are some pretty big spenders out there which  make it really not worth it. Eventually though as we get better at paying off loans in a week or less, then I may consider it because that would mean we're burning through the big spenders a lot faster and making it to us normal people (orange queue peeps). After this loan gets paid off, we'll also have paid out over $1 million in loans. Kinda neat.

Edited by MillerEP

The community so far is very supportive of each other, so if you spend time on facebook, you may want to sign up for the community pages, the other players are constantly giving away free coins, or trying to drum up their own unofficial contests to encourage participation: https://www.facebook.com/groups/160332921249767/ and https://www.facebook.com/groups/1841167706192951/ These are ran by the players not the bears. The official one is here: https://www.facebook.com/Givling/ which you may want to keep your eyes on to see what the daily goals are if we've hit any new milestones. They also keep an eye on how much the 3 way split for the weekly trivia will be. 

Edited by MillerEP

• 3 weeks later...

So the latest update rolled out yesterday that shows you your place in both queues and I'm super surprised at how well I'm doing. I'm currently sitting at #517 in the free queue (orange) and #504 in the money queue (green). As you can tell they're close which means I've never really dropped any money in the app (bought a t-shirt once and coins twice I think for maybe $20 total). Not too shabby.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just announced that they hope to reinstate the random drawing Nov. 15 for both queues, which is great news. That should help it grow, since newcomers will now have as equal of a shot getting their loan paid off as those sitting in the top 200. No need to lose hoe if you know you’re in the 1,000s in the queue.

719 - Green Queue

674 - Orange Queue

The random winner only gets $10,000 this time which is awarded after we reach 100%, so the queue is now to gain $60,000., $50,000 towards the current queue and $10,000 for a random winner. The $10,000 is deducted from your overall winnings, so if yu get selected randomly, you'll get $10,000, and then when it's your turn in the queue you'll only get $40,000 that time.

Edited by MillerEP