Meat prices...inflation or greed...

DallasSooner

On 2/11/2022 at 4:20 AM, 52-80 said:

That whole twitter thread was singling out companies to demonstrate the viciousness of capitalism, "bragging about their ruthless profit-rigging schemes...while hiding behind 'inflation'". 

She cited a maker of N95 as one of them, as if they 2x the price of masks with a unit cost of <$1/pc. This is not Martin Shkreli 5000x a pharmaceutical pill. 

3M sells $20 of vinyl wraps and masking tape and spray lubricant for every $1 they sell in masks.  Their gross margins have been on a 5 year decline. 

It's sensationalistic and populist bullshit designed to rouse the peanut gallery.  See in case:

America isn't a true capitalist country anymore.....It's a highly Americanized version of capitalism that isn't good for the country overall. Profits over people.....investors over consumers. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/11/2022 at 11:01 AM, TxTower said:

Have you looked at what’s in the grocery cart of a poor lately? See very little budgeting. They buy what they want regardless of price. If it’s more than their card allows, they throw back one of the four boxes of Little Debbie’s.

My wife and I recently made the move to eat more fresh vegetables and fruits and our grocery cost has increased because of it. Well I suppose I should say we are aiming to eat less processed/canned items. We don't mind because it's better for us but the poor people eating the poor for you items is more cost effective than trying to eat more fresh now days. Perhaps it's always been this way but I grew up eating all the poor people food and such so correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

21 minutes ago, BurntOrange&amp;White said:

America isn't a true capitalist country anymore.....It's a highly Americanized version of capitalism that isn't good for the country overall. Profits over people.....investors over consumers. 

humans are self-interested so thats neither new nor surprising.  corporations are owned and controlled by people and act in the best interest of its owners, which is not uniquely american. 

if they do anything that is wantonly amoral, unethical, or illegal -- say, poison the waters or distribute harmful pills -- then it is a clear case of injustice.  but trying to demonize CPG companies on the grounds of an upbeat forecast to its investors is just cheap demagogy.  money was/is cheap to borrow.  banks have high reserves to lend against.  people and companies are flush with cash.  things cost more.  its all part of the economic and credit cycle.  Big Chicken isn't out there trying to fuck people -- no more or no less than theyve always done.

9 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

humans are self-interested so thats neither new nor surprising.  corporations are owned and controlled by people and act in the best interest of its owners, which is not uniquely american. 

if they do anything that is wantonly amoral, unethical, or illegal -- say, poison the waters or distribute harmful pills -- then it is a clear case of injustice.  but trying to demonize CPG companies on the grounds of an upbeat forecast to its investors is just cheap demagogy.  money was/is cheap to borrow.  banks have high reserves to lend against.  people and companies are flush with cash.  things cost more.  its all part of the economic and credit cycle.  Big Chicken isn't out there trying to fuck people -- no more or no less than theyve always done.

except laws were changed and written in favor of these companies over the years due to their lobbies. I'll state again, we aren't a true capitalistic nation any longer.

4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&amp;White said:

except laws were changed and written in favor of these companies over the years due to their lobbies. I'll state again, we aren't a true capitalistic nation any longer.

sure.  obama's anti-lobbying stance was one of my favorite things of his. 

but simple fact is America just had its highest annual CPI print in over 2 decades, and it is due to a confluence of thing, chiefly the country's monetary policy.  singling out companies like kimberly clark and 3M and implying their plundering motive is hilariously misinformed.

4 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

sure.  obama's anti-lobbying stance was one of my favorite things of his. 

but simple fact is America just had its highest annual CPI print in over 2 decades, and it is due to a confluence of thing, chiefly the country's monetary policy.  singling out companies like kimberly clark and 3M and implying their plundering motive is hilariously misinformed.

“Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon in the sense that it is and can be produced only by a more rapid increase in the quantity of money than in output.”

-- Milton Friedman

54 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Big Chicken isn't out there trying to fuck people -- no more or no less than theyve always done.

Another way of saying this is, Big Chicken is still out there trying to fuck consumers and workers, and poultry, as much as they possibly can, and getting away with it. As just one example: the practice of major poultry farms regularly feeding the animals antibiotics. It's still a regular practice despite many years of battles, and if you don't want to purchase chicken fed antibiotics, despite the great harm antibiotics do to society as a whole, you have to carefully read the labels.

Your blaming "monetary policy" for inflation is incredibly uninformed. Your mother raised a moron.

44 minutes ago, BurntOrange&amp;White said:

We're a capitalist nation just one with a shitty regulatory framework that's wholly owned by corporate America.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Another way of saying this is, Big Chicken is still out there trying to fuck consumers and workers, and poultry, as much as they possibly can, and getting away with it. As just one example: the practice of major poultry farms regularly feeding the animals antibiotics. It's still a regular practice despite many years of battles, and if you don't want to purchase chicken fed antibiotics, despite the great harm antibiotics do to society as a whole, you have to carefully read the labels.

Your blaming "monetary policy" for inflation is incredibly uninformed.

keep fucking that chicken!

On 2/10/2022 at 1:59 PM, irishtexan said:

I'm curious - What's the cost compared to grocery-store bought meat? 

I order from this farm regularly. You can judge for yourself. Some stuff is definitely, definitely more expensive. That being said, their eggs are fucking tremendous, their breakfast sausage is probably the best I've ever had (almost no grease), and the brauts are definitely the best I've ever had. I'd say generally speaking, most shit is about $10 a lb for ground meats, a bit more or less for cuts like Brisket, etc. I don't know who does their processing, but they've changed over the years from one guy to another, I can tell by the packaging of some items. But overall, yes, this farm is fucking awesome. Quality is great. But its pretty expensive.  They mostly service Houston, but I think they have an Austin delivery as well. 

https://yonderwayfarm.com/

I’ll just note that hog packing margins are very near going negative. This could stifle hog herd expansion short term if they throttle back kills. Flip side coming forward is a stupid amount of money is being thrown at domestic soybean crushing capacity for “renewable distillates” which if realized would throw off a fuck load of cheap meal to boost hog producer margins. 

Furthermore, a guy out of Houston that owns a ranch in the Crystal City area has bought Uvalde Meat Market (which has its own slaughter facility) and also purchased Mumme’s in Hondo (think feed and small feed lot) along with purchasing Nooner’s Paloma Pachanga on the east side of Hondo (more grazing land).

Seems he’s making a run at Big Beef.