Meat prices...inflation or greed...

DallasSooner

6 minutes ago, elguapo said:

Are you aware of what the thread topic is?

topic was on meat prices and inflation and greed.  i showed you agricultural prices went up 20% across the board.  (higher than Tyson's change in margins)

you posted twitter thread railing on 3M.  you posted article thinking it supports whatever unsubstantiated point you want to make about 3M. 

can you make a cogent argument on why 3M is bad? or what does elon have to do with either of the above?

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

The earnings call said they did manage to increase prices .2% over gross margins across the board.

their gross margins decreased.  they increased prices 2.6% yoy but that wasn't enough to offset the effects of rising labor costs, raw materials costs, supply chain delays, and logistical issues.  their operating margin decreased 2.4% yoy.  

3m jan 2022 earnings transcript

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TxTower said:

Have you looked at what’s in the grocery cart of a poor lately? See very little budgeting. They buy what they want regardless of price. If it’s more than their card allows, they throw back one of the four boxes of Little Debbie’s.

You ask people their income status while being a judgmental asshole in grocery stores?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Jameslaw121 said:

So....anyway.. Anyone know where I could get locally raised meat and skip the 4 major meat processors? In the DFW area

In general, local lockers are heavily booked a year out in the current environment, so you'll need to find some who wants to split an existing date, or get on a list, and hope something breaks a leg and you can snag an emergency kill. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Royalfan5 said:

In general, local lockers are heavily booked a year out in the current environment, so you'll need to find some who wants to split an existing date, or get on a list, and hope something breaks a leg and you can snag an emergency kill. 

What about a butcher that only sells locally (or I guess) texas raised meat?

3 minutes ago, Jameslaw121 said:

It's far easier to buy in bulk if that's what you want to do. Being a retailer that sells smaller increments is just a pain in the ass. If you want local stuff, the best bang for you buck is going to take at least a quarter of a steer or half a hog. 

• Hook 'Em 3

17 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Another thing raised here is that regulatory agencies, like USDA and EPA, do actually raise artificial barriers to competition and reinforce bad corporate behavior, sometimes wholly unintentionally and sometimes with a boost from big business lobbies and Congress.

It's been a long time since I took macroeconomics but when an industry is dominated by just 4 companies, and the cost of entry is high because it requires expensive P&E, the gov't regs make very little difference because the competition -- an oligopoly -- holds pricing power and could easily price any new entrant right out of the game. I'd argue, in fact, that gov't regulations which allowed 4 companies to merge and then dominate the market for meats, means we don't have enough regulation. When was The Jungle published - over 100 years ago? On the topic of FDA regs, not enough has changed in the meatpacking industry since then.  No meatpacker shivers in fear of the FDA inspector.

We have the same problem - oligopolies which behave like monopolists - in the railroad and in the ports industries. They are bottlenecks and their behavior is destructive to capitalism.

39 minutes ago, Jameslaw121 said:

So....anyway.. Anyone know where I could get locally raised meat and skip the 4 major meat processors? In the DFW area

You might try searching for a CSA near you that specializes in various meats. Maybe you can find one at a nearby farmers market. Maybe Muenster Grass Fed?

• Hook 'Em 1

A lot of price issues today are due to market share concentration among a small number of companies. It takes a government that is aggressive about anti-trust AND working closely with other countries to reduce their market power.

Meat, tech, communications services, etc are but a few of many industries with too much power concentration. The Republican Party has little interest in doing anything, and the Democrats can’t do anything without them. Get used to continued wealth concentration and higher prices in a lot of industries. 

• Hook 'Em 2

58 minutes ago, Chopper said:

It's been a long time since I took macroeconomics but when an industry is dominated by just 4 companies, and the cost of entry is high because it requires expensive P&E, the gov't regs make very little difference because the competition -- an oligopoly -- holds pricing power and could easily price any new entrant right out of the game. I'd argue, in fact, that gov't regulations which allowed 4 companies to merge and then dominate the market for meats, means we don't have enough regulation. When was The Jungle published - over 100 years ago? On the topic of FDA regs, not enough has changed in the meatpacking industry since then.  No meatpacker shivers in fear of the FDA inspector.

We have the same problem - oligopolies which behave like monopolists - in the railroad and in the ports industries. They are bottlenecks and their behavior is destructive to capitalism.

I wouldn't say that government regulations allowed mergers so that only 4 companies ruled the meat packing industry, more like government regulations forced them to merge.   And now the big 4 are reaping the benefits.   

• Like 1

21 hours ago, deadshank said:

I do my best to buy from local butchers in Uvalde (Uvalde Meat Market slaughters stock from local ranches and Chaparral Feed lot at their own facility).   Their beef is top notch.  

Same same. I live in an area with a lot of cattle ranching. A local cattle ranch has opened up a butcher store, and I buy all my beef from there. They used to sell at the local farmer's market but the local demand was enough for them to open a small shop.

Its grass fed. Its also more expensive. But I'm willing to pay more for local sourced that supports a local ranch. 

No local hog farms that I know of, so I still buy bacon from the grocers. Eggs come from the farmer's market (They used to come from my backyard until the local chicken hawk wiped out my chickens. One chicken a day, 6 chickens over the course of two weeks or so. I just turned the one surviving rooster loose in the pasture and let him make his own way. I suspect the coyotes probably got him).

1 hour ago, Royalfan5 said:

It's far easier to buy in bulk if that's what you want to do. Being a retailer that sells smaller increments is just a pain in the ass. If you want local stuff, the best bang for you buck is going to take at least a quarter of a steer or half a hog. 

Yeah, I have friends with 4 kids (including two teenage boys) that buy a half a steer every year. You can save a lot, but the cost of the electricity to keep it frozen, plus the initial cost of a freezer, cuts into the savings. But in the end, they do save quite a bit, and it supports local ranchers.

I would do the same, but its just me, the vegetarian wife, and one young daughter, so I'm not sure the economy of scale would be in my favor as much.

Q).  Meat prices...inflation or greed...

A).  Idiot government, which is responsible for inflation and lack of supply.  Competition can stamp out greed, if govt. will let it.  The meat industry is highly regulated and expensive per USDA inspectors and regulation.

Anyone who argues for govt. mandated price controls is dumber than a retard.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 5

18 hours ago, F250 said:

This was an interesting thread until all of you CR Hate Fuckers had to flood it with your compulsive flow of shitty consciousness.

It was CR from post1.

19 hours ago, F250 said:

This was an interesting thread until all of you CR Hate Fuckers had to flood it with your compulsive flow of shitty consciousness.

Yeah, there was some good reading until Incredulity, Sundogger, etc went full Texags.

7 hours ago, Sundodger said:

Q).  Meat prices...inflation or greed...

A).  Idiot government, which is responsible for inflation and lack of supply.  Competition can stamp out greed, if govt. will let it.  The meat industry is highly regulated and expensive per USDA inspectors and regulation.

Negged for several drive by negs and this boomer font, chain spam email nonsense.

1 hour ago, slorch said:

It was CR from post1.

And it was appropriately ignored at first. Can only handle so much though.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, fuggled said:
17 hours ago, Jameslaw121 said:

Try Deep Cuts at Coit and Belt Line. There used to be local ranchers at the Dallas Farmers Market too, but I haven't been down there in a while.

We went to the Dallas Farmers Market a few months ago. It s awful. It's basically turned into a hipster gift shop. Really couldn't even find good veggies or fruits. The McKinney and Frisco ones were better

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Jameslaw121 said:

We went to the Dallas Farmers Market a few months ago. It s awful. It's basically turned into a hipster gift shop. Really couldn't even find good veggies or fruits. The McKinney and Frisco ones were better

This is the truth! Went looking for fruits and vegetables- all I found was about 4 vendors. The rest of the market is dudes selling honey, nutritional supplements and a bunch of trendy restaurants and coffee shops.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Sundodger said:

I'll ignore the impressive amount of idiocy you packed into your brief, large-font post (partially blind and suffering from early-onset dementia, are you?) but nobody here has argued for price controls. Maybe go take a basic reading comprehension course.

Edited by Chopper

2 hours ago, Jameslaw121 said:

95% of “farmers market” ive ever visited since forever have just been hipsterville selling artisanal soaps and gourmet pet foods and shitty jewelry rather than any bonafide local vegetables and produce

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Jameslaw121 said:

I haven't been since the vast majority of the section for local fruits and veggies had "product of Mexico" stickers and stamps on everything. Not that I mind imported, but it was a huge turnoff when tried to source local products specifically 

14 minutes ago, TankedBevo said:

I haven't been since the vast majority of the section for local fruits and veggies had "product of Mexico" stickers and stamps on everything. Not that I mind imported, but it was a huge turnoff when tried to source local products specifically 

Yeah, I stopped going around that time too. Probably 12 years ago. Then we went around Thanksgiving - more to just get out of the house and it sucked big time. 

7 hours ago, elfenix said:

Last tomatoes I got at the farmer's market could have come from HEB down the street. Probably did.

Sucker.  

My bidness partner brings back HGTs from his family ranch in Stephenville.   

They always look goofy, their insides are all sorts of odd colors and their general appearance would turn off most people used to “pretty” (yet ultimately flavorless) store bought tomatoes.   But they are really flavorful and meaty. 

4809AC60-19FA-449F-AB3A-C8E3254BDD2E.jpeg

Edited by deadshank
  • Like 2
  • Drool 4

12 hours ago, deadshank said:

Sucker.  

My bidness partner brings back HGTs from his family ranch in Stephenville.   

They always look goofy, their insides are all sorts of odd colors and their general appearance would turn off most people used to “pretty” (yet ultimately flavorless) store bought tomatoes.   But they are really flavorful and meaty. 

4809AC60-19FA-449F-AB3A-C8E3254BDD2E.jpeg

that tomato is beautiful.  slice it up, salt for about 20 minutes, then some pepper and maybe olive oil.

or bacon.