Fight breaks out at 2A Texas basketball game- player and fans

7 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

I have a story for that. I worked with two guys here three years or so ago. One was an upstater from a pretty small town. He had quite the life in his younger days traveling Europe, Russia in particular. His story about Russians putting pet bears in wagons had me laughing quite a bit as did his train trip through Russia where he accidentally became friends with Russian mobsters while drinking on the train with them. I believe he wound up being friends with some that lived in Brighton Beach. This guy is probably the most intelligent human being I have ever met. His life revolves around his love of diving. Shockingly he is a diver for the New York Aquarium.

Ok, is this a bit? Are you going to post a The Simpsons “That’s the Joke” meme? Or is your friend Bert Kreischer?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

Ok, is this a bit? Are you going to post a The Simpsons “That’s the Joke” meme? Or is your friend Bert Kreischer?

I’ve seen that show. Funny, but no, different story. My friend is way too serious to ever pull off telling it like that. I would imagine anyone traveling in Russia at the time he was probably has some similar tales to tell. I could probably head down to Brighton and hear some similar stories from people who are friends with the Russians that live there. 

Gotcha. It’s just perhaps the most famous tale in standup comedy over the last several years (unlike most comedians, Kreischer seemingly has to use this old material because it’s his Stairway to Heaven, and crowds expect it), and I was wondering if your buddy appropriated it. Youth, Russian mafia, train, drinking, etc. 

My friend wouldn’t know who that comedian is mainly because he does not watch TV or even own one. If it isn’t about the world of diving, music or art (Believe he was an art history major) he is not interested. I tried talking about sports once with him and it went nowhere and good God pop culture references are met with blank stares. 

15 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

This is a fun one to see in the news. An old coach was the principal at the high school there after he got out of coaching. I think his wife still works for Seymour ISD. Not sure what he does now as I have not seen him since I used to run across him in Austin at the state tournament every March. That’s been many years ago.

I learned the name of darn near every Texas town in high school because a football coach put up a list on the wall in his history class of every school that was in the state of Texas at the time. I used to look at it every single day in class and the town names just stuck. You would be surprised how many times I have had people tell me they are from Texas and that it’s some town I would have never heard of. 

Worked with a guy from Progreso on Long Island. Surprised him by telling him his mascot was a Red Ant. Had a job interview in Times Square and was offered the job on the spot because I told the guy that I would indeed know the town in Texas he was from if he told me because at first he was vague and said he was from near Lubbock. He said Abernathy and I said “Oh the Antelopes. They’re pretty good at basketball.” Had someone hand me a debit card for the bank from Happy. I said “Oh a Cowboy, huh?” Saw them get shelled one year at the state basketball tournament.” So many random towns I have been through and around Texas that there are none that I have not at least heard the name of at some point. I have a friend that calls me from Dallas and he’ll say a random town and ask me for a story about the town. I am pretty good with useless information so I almost always have something to tell him. 

Craig Way has entered the chat.

• Haha 1

On 2/14/2022 at 6:44 AM, Onboard 2.0 said:

The 3 worst, scariest words in the English language ..... (1st season) kid pitch baseball.

When I was a senior in HS, I used to umpire everything.  I was desperate for money and eager to avoid nights with the parents, and my supervisor knew this, so he'd book me every night he could and then call me to fill in as soon as anyone else cancelled.  

So anyway, senior year, graduation week, I tell him not to even think about booking me for Thursday, because I had a graduation party to go to.  He said OK, but Thursday afternoon he calls and says he's completely desperate.  I told him to fuck off when he asked me to do a Little League double header, but he finally talked me into a kid-pitch game that was a single game at 6pm.  These fucking games were always 27-22 with nothing but walks, and usually a maximum of 3 innings before the time limit.

Anyways, I meet with coaches before the game and tell them "I'm going to have a huuuuuuuuuuuuge strike zone tonight.  If they can reach it, they'd better swing."  And I did.  And the score was fucking 5 to 2 heading into the 6th.  And then the little pitcher lost his mind and couldn't throw it even close enough for me to call it a strike.  And it was making me late for this party.  And I tried to go running for my car after the final out... but I kept getting stopped by parents wanting to shake my hand.  "That was the best game we've had all season!"  "Can you umpire more of our games?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Seymour dammit.

Panther town related: Dad was a truck driver and would take one of my older brothers and me on short hauls during the summers.  Coming back from New Mexico, we stopped at the Rock Inn Cafe for a burger and the homestretch. Dad takes me to bathroom and he goes in single holer first.  Outside the door there is( unbeknownst to my 7-8 year old mind) a large electrical breaker with a sign on the handle, "DO NOT PULL!!!"

Well, fuck yeah, I pulled it...and every light in the place went out. "What'd you do?" Dad yelled from inside the bathroom.  He was pissed.  Lady running the restaurant ran back there and actually got between us.  "It's OK sweetheart.  It's happened before."  We ate our burgers in silence.  We walked out to the truck and dad says, 'Get up in that cab and I don't want to hear a word!"  It was 45 minutes to the house from there and I was sure I faced impending destruction of my ass with a belt.

Never happened.  I think I got out of that one because dad thought he'd kill me.  LOL.

We don't drive through Seymour or talk about their sports teams without that coming up.  Rock Inn Cafe and Go Panthers, I guess...

1 hour ago, Deej said:

Craig Way has entered the chat.

Haha. Craig would kill me on anything to do with all the new schools built across the state in the metro areas. I can go toe-to-toe with him on random stories about small Texas towns and sports.

When my old coach was the head basketball coach at the basketball Big Sandy (Not Lovie Smith football Big Sandy) out by the reservation I went to visit him. They were in their first year fielding a track team and I showed some of the shot and discus athletes how to throw both. They had no track so they ran out in a field near the school. We go to the track meet down in Evadale a couple of days later. Three things I remember about Evadale. One I met the boys basketball coach from Goodrich there. He was the coach who always wore an orange jacket at the state tournament when the Hornets made it. Two the boys basketball coach at High Island was there. His name was Bill Shaw and was the head basketball coach my freshman year of high school. He looked EXACTLY like Dr. Red Duke and would guzzle Diet Coke during games. I have not seen him since that track meet. Third one of the boys running the two mile puked his guts out when he crossed the finish line. He was one of the Alabama-Coushatta athletes and this was his first time running track. No one told him that it wasn’t a good idea to eat chili dogs right before running. 

This is a fun one to see in the news. An old coach was the principal at the high school there after he got out of coaching. I think his wife still works for Seymour ISD. Not sure what he does now as I have not seen him since I used to run across him in Austin at the state tournament every March. That’s been many years ago.

I learned the name of darn near every Texas town in high school because a football coach put up a list on the wall in his history class of every school that was in the state of Texas at the time. I used to look at it every single day in class and the town names just stuck. You would be surprised how many times I have had people tell me they are from Texas and that it’s some town I would have never heard of. 

Worked with a guy from Progreso on Long Island. Surprised him by telling him his mascot was a Red Ant. Had a job interview in Times Square and was offered the job on the spot because I told the guy that I would indeed know the town in Texas he was from if he told me because at first he was vague and said he was from near Lubbock. He said Abernathy and I said “Oh the Antelopes. They’re pretty good at basketball.” Had someone hand me a debit card for the bank from Happy. I said “Oh a Cowboy, huh?” Saw them get shelled one year at the state basketball tournament.” So many random towns I have been through and around Texas that there are none that I have not at least heard the name of at some point. I have a friend that calls me from Dallas and he’ll say a random town and ask me for a story about the town. I am pretty good with useless information so I almost always have something to tell him. 
I too was schooled on Texas high school mascots. My civics teacher gave bonus points on questions about on mascots. I would study more for that bonus question than the rest of the test. Seymour, Petrolia, and Quanah....all easy ones, though Pirates is a bit obscure. Plus, they are geographically close and about the same size.

Roscoe Plowboys was a big winner for me and extra bonus for knowing the Jr. High was the Clod Hoppers. I wrote the Jr. High name in and he was duly impressed.

Coons (RIP), porcupines, hippos, moguls, antelopes, pied pipers, wampus cats, were all bonus points for me. I still think my favorite is the Winters Blizzards.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X606F using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

I too was schooled on Texas high school mascots. My civics teacher gave bonus points on questions about on mascots. I would study more for that bonus question than the rest of the test. Seymour, Petrolia, and Quanah....all easy ones, though Pirates is a bit obscure. Plus, they are geographically close and about the same size.

Roscoe Plowboys was a big winner for me and extra bonus for knowing the Jr. High was the Clod Hoppers. I wrote the Jr. High name in and he was duly impressed.

Coons (RIP), porcupines, hippos, moguls, antelopes, pied pipers, wampus cats, were all bonus points for me. I still think my favorite is the Winters Blizzards.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X606F using Tapatalk

Frisco, Springtown, Hutto, Munday, Post (among others), Hamlin, Itasca.

But I can't fucking remember what I'm supposed to do tomorrow...
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

Only reason I knew Progresso was because I went 2 years at Port Isabel HS and they were in our district. Along with the La Feria Lions, Lyford Eagles (I think), Hidalgo Pirates, and Valley View Tigers. I feel like I'm missing one or two but it's been a long time and I spent a lot of those 2 years stoned on the beach 

• Hook 'Em 1

Holy shit.  The 67 yr old man they arrested was the Seymour Superintendent's FATHER!  The kid who came out of the stands was a Seymour student who is also being charged.

https://www.timesrecordnews.com/story/news/2022/02/14/basketball-petrolia-seymour-fight-man-arrested-juvenile-detained/6784712001/

Horton arrested John Kevin Anderson, 67, based on witness statements and video evidence, according to allegations in the media release. 

Superintendent Anderson confirmed Monday that the man who was arrested is his father. 

John Kevin Anderson was charged with assault against a sports participant, a class B misdemeanor, according to the media release from the Constable's Office.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, hullabelew said:

I have some stories from a guy who was a letterman for the Plowboys. He spun some truth with some mixing of the grandiose better than any story-teller I have ever heard. He told me a story one time that had me crying laughing from when he was an assistant coach in the early 80’s for the San Antonio Lanier Voks. Before his story I only knew it as the school that upset Chris Bosh and his Purple Tigers from Lincoln in the 2001 state semi-final. That was probably one of the biggest upsets in the history of the boys tournament. They got smashed in the final two days later Ozen and Kendrick Perkins, but they can never take away that semi-final game from them.