Dumbass Shit We See On Facebook

Vic Mackey

2 hours ago, nnm said:

Tortillas are absolutely not vegan, not if they’re made correctly.  Plenty of animal fat in a good tortilla. 

Say what now? I just had this convo with my sister (currently living in our grandfather’s small Mexican town) over thanksgiving, who laughed at me b/c I said I wanted to learn to do my own at home but was going to use Maseca. She said that’s like saying you baked a homemade cake but it came from a box.

I was pretty drunk but unless you mean the cal used for nixtamalization of the corn isn’t vegan, authentic good tortillas can definitely be made with only water, salt, and ground corn. At least according to an entire town of Mexicans that have lived there since at least mid-1800s give or take a decade.

edit: but just saying. I’d eat the fuck out of a tortilla that had lard added. I’d be all for that! 

Edited by achooloco
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, achooloco said:

Say what now? I just had this convo with my sister (currently living in our grandfather’s small Mexican town) over thanksgiving, who laughed at me b/c I said I wanted to learn to do my own at home but was going to use Maseca. She said that’s like saying you baked a homemade cake but it came from a box.

I was pretty drunk but unless you mean the cal used for nixtamalization of the corn isn’t vegan, authentic good tortillas can definitely be made with only water, salt, and ground corn. At least according to an entire town of Mexicans that have lived there since at least mid-1800s give or take a decade.

edit: but just saying. I’d eat the fuck out of a tortilla that had lard added. I’d be all for that! 

Sorry. The tortillas I grew up with in a little village in Northern NM were overwhelmingly flour tortillas. Every abuelita made them with Morrell lard. I’ve posted before that a fresh tortilla, right off of the wood stove cooktop, with a little fresh manteca is a little slice of heaven. I’d be off in the arroyos and mountains playing with my friends, and we’d pop into one of their houses for lunch. 100% chance of fresh tortillas being ready for us. 
I’m hungry. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

Sorry. The tortillas I grew up with in a little village in Northern NM were overwhelmingly flour tortillas. Every abuelita made them with Morrell lard. I’ve posted before that a fresh tortilla, right off of the wood stove cooktop, with a little fresh manteca is a little slice of heaven. I’d be off in the arroyos and mountains playing with my friends, and we’d pop into one of their houses for lunch. 100% chance of fresh tortillas being ready for us. 
I’m hungry. 
So when it comes to tortillas both Tacos?

1 hour ago, nnm said:

I’m hungry. 

Ah, yeah my bad I meant corn. Not a huge fan of flour ones but those sound damn tasty. Wouldn’t mind trying it for corn as well!

• Like 1

Ah, yeah my bad I meant corn. Not a huge fan of flour ones but those sound damn tasty. Wouldn’t mind trying it for corn as well!

Man…it’s interesting to me how folks think about tortillas. Your default is clearly corn. My family is northern Mexican, and when I hear “tortilla,” I automatically think of flour. Yes, hot off the stove and made with lard. A thing of beauty.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

.838d2f5f5287bf8da597415fac259886.jpg

that’s my attitude.  I simply don’t give a shit about other states.  we have the best and we know it.  kansas city or wherever else could not be more irrelevant.  I have family from east tennessee who talk about their bbq from time to time and I always just smile and say “ok.”

• Hook 'Em 2