EPL 2018-19

Goo Punch

47 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

So former Southampton chairman Ralph Krueger just got hired as the head coach of the NHL’s Buffalo Sabres. 

So tons of other NHL teams are going to benefit from Sabres free agents and trades now?

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

I guess there's been a lot of "put our guy in the wall and make him duck" plays in the playbook. Seems reasonable. 

I don't get what that solves.  Who cares if they duck?  I'd argue, if a team can pull it off, then cool.  They usually kick it straight into one of the other ~5 guys though.

Other new rules:

• Ball doesn't need to leave the penalty area on goal kicks.  Don't think that matters much at the pro level, but if it migrates to the youth level, watch out.
  • PKs - ball will be dead after the kick/save just like they are in a PK tiebreaker situation.  Can't put the rebound in.  I'm torn on that one.

2 minutes ago, pied said:

I don't get what that solves.  Who cares if they duck?  I'd argue, if a team can pull it off, then cool.  They usually kick it straight into one of the other ~5 guys though.

Other new rules:

• Ball doesn't need to leave the penalty area on goal kicks.  Don't think that matters much at the pro level, but if it migrates to the youth level, watch out.
  • PKs - ball will be dead after the kick/save just like they are in a PK tiebreaker situation.  Can't put the rebound in.  I'm torn on that one.

That PK rule is interesting. It gets rid of the issue of retaking a PK b/c someone ran into the zone, but there are plenty of PKs that are initially saved and the PK taker puts them back in easily. I like it.

The wall rule is ok in my opinion only to get rid of the ref having to go "break up" two players only to have them return to the exact same pushing match.

1 hour ago, Schulz2.0 said:

So former Southampton chairman Ralph Krueger just got hired as the head coach of the NHL’s Buffalo Sabres. 

he was always a Hockey guy, masquerading as a Football guy.

Played 350 games of professional German hockey. Coached the Edmonton Oilers in 2012-2013.

5 minutes ago, yoladu said:

he was always a Hockey guy, masquerading as a Football guy.

Played 350 games of professional German hockey. Coached the Edmonton Oilers in 2012-2013.

I know about his hockey background. I’m more surprised someone hired him as a head coach instead of a front office position.

32 minutes ago, MoJames said:

That PK rule is interesting. It gets rid of the issue of retaking a PK b/c someone ran into the zone, but there are plenty of PKs that are initially saved and the PK taker puts them back in easily. I like it.

The wall rule is ok in my opinion only to get rid of the ref having to go "break up" two players only to have them return to the exact same pushing match.

Then they should do the same on corners IMO.  To me, it's attempting to solve one issue by addressing a similar issue.  You're not allowed to shove a player out of the way in a wall or corner or whatever.  Enforce that first.

The crap that happens on corners is silly.

41 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Leaked documents suggest the airline paid £8million of its own cash. The rest of the £65m fee, it is alleged, was funnelled through Etihad from a holding company connected to Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed al-Nahyan, the club’s owner. 

shocked claude rains GIF

• Like 2

While all this should actually be in the UCL thread, the bottom line is that UEFA has to ban City from it next year or else the rules are not only dumb, they're toothless and therefore pointless. Of course with soccer orgs they might simply be looking for some hush money. When the decision is being reached in the "investigatory chamber" to forward the case to the "adjudicatory chamber" your bureaucracy might not intend to actually get things done.

35 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Leaked documents suggest the airline paid £8million of its own cash. The rest of the £65m fee, it is alleged, was funnelled through Etihad from a holding company connected to Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed al-Nahyan, the club’s owner. 

shocked claude rains GIF

They also had one of the sheikh’s shell companies buy a bank in Iceland. That bank bought the image rights to various Man City players for vastly inflated sums. There are multiple examples where they fraudulently inflated their revenue with Sheikh Mansour bankrolling hundreds of millions of pounds of “revenue” each year. Fuck City.

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Yeah, fuck owners spending money to improve a team. I LOVE THE PITTSBURGH PIRATES OF THE 2000s DECADE THAT IS THE DREAM, DON'T SPEND ANYTHING, JUST RAKE IN THE MONEY. WE NEED MORE OWNERS WHO ARE IN IT ONLY TO TURN A PROFIT!

Spending money is fine.  Consistently spending money in a way that circumvents the rules is not.

16 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Yeah, fuck owners spending money to improve a team. I LOVE THE PITTSBURGH PIRATES OF THE 2000s DECADE THAT IS THE DREAM, DON'T SPEND ANYTHING, JUST RAKE IN THE MONEY. WE NEED MORE OWNERS WHO ARE IN IT ONLY TO TURN A PROFIT!

giphy.gif

• Like 2

3 hours ago, pied said:

Other new rules:

Fuck that and I wish I had video- my son had a rebound goal on a missed PK earlier this season when the goalie was celebrating after making the initial save. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JimmyHoffa said:

Fuck that and I wish I had video- my son had a rebound goal on a missed PK earlier this season when the goalie was celebrating after making the initial save. 

My kid’s a keeper so I’m ok with it. Not sure when/how long it will take to work down. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

lulz

The bin Laden family is fucking huge and lots of them hated Osama. His dad had over 50 children. We'll need more details to know if this money was related to terrorism (aside from standard Saudi human rights violations). But good effort.

Derka Derka Muhammad jihad.

40 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

I hadn’t read about the controversy of the song City played in celebrating its title. Also, City is a shitty organization. 

https://www.si.com/soccer/2019/05/17/manchester-city-success-ownership-controversy-uefa-investigation

Dude, that song is fucked up. Fuck that club and fuck their fans too (about the sportswashing on the Matthew Hedges angle.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2018/nov/24/manchester-city-fans-defence-uae-sportswashing-tribal-loyalty

• Like 2