2022 Volleyball - Stacked as Hell

Js1

First ever Final Four with no B1G or PAC teams, I believe?

An ACC team will be in the final for the first time, regardless

Texas would be the only repeat champion, everyone else is gunning for #1

Eggleston, Skinner, Caffey, Phillips, O’Neal, Akana are all in the Final Four again and that much experience and leadership will help big time. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The Pac 12 wasn't very good. Stanford went on that 20 game win streak in the Pac 12. Maybe they improved from non-conference but I think it likely had a lot to do with how weak the conference was. 

San Diego probably felt slighted not getting a 1 but they  ended up getting a good draw. 

Stanford is young-ish - Miner, Francis and Rubin are all FR/SO - and I think everyone of importance is returning if Kipp takes her COVID year. They are always going to be a problem.  But the PAC 12 was meh - Tree, Ducks and then a big gap to USC/Washington.

Stanford was also battle tested in their non conference - they played Texas in Austin, Florida in Gainesville, Penn State and Minnesota in Minneapolis, and hosted Nebraska and Louisville. That was a legit non conference schedule 

SD got the #2 without having to travel that far against a pretty meh home environment for the #1 seed. Don’t think SD would have advanced out of Austin, Madison or Louisville 

Edited by Js1

It’s a bit negligible but after we had to face 6’0 Achante and 6’2 Podraza at the opposing setter position, we will face 5’9 Blossom at USD. Hopefully Logan and Skinner enjoy her front row rotations to hit over her block 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Akana again. 

She was the worst passer last night per VolleyMetrics. She passed a 1.6 (30% good pass) on her serve receive. Yuck. Logan was a 1.92 (33.3%). Fleck was good as always (2.3, 66.7%) and Halter was our best passer all night (2.46, 72.7%)

2.3-2.4 is a good passing number. Fleck was good, Halter was really good 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Js1 said:

Stanford is young-ish - Miner, Francis and Rubin are all FR/SO - and I think everyone of importance is returning if Kipp takes her COVID year. They are always going to be a problem.  But the PAC 12 was meh - Tree, Ducks and then a big gap to USC/Washington.

Stanford was also battle tested in their non conference - they played Texas in Austin, Florida in Gainesville, Penn State and Minnesota in Minneapolis, and hosted Nebraska and Louisville. That was a legit non conference schedule 

SD got the #2 without having to travel that far against a pretty meh home environment for the #1 seed. Don’t think SD would have advanced out of Austin, Madison or Louisville 

I thought we played at Stanford second weekend of the season? Regardless, good summary of their schedule. 

23 minutes ago, Js1 said:

She was the worst passer last night per VolleyMetrics. She passed a 1.6 (30% good pass) on her serve receive. Yuck. Logan was a 1.92 (33.3%). Fleck was good as always (2.3, 66.7%) and Halter was our best passer all night (2.46, 72.7%)

Opponents are going to target Akana and Skinner(already have been) on serve receive. They better figure out a way to clean that up. I’m not sure Akana’s serving is good enough for the trade off. I guess we’ll find out.

Their out of system setting/hitting was off last night for some stretches. Way too many tips. That will have to be better to win the next two.

I like our chances against SD, we’ll see after that.

Edited by sunset87

Im sure there will be some internal competition for libero next year, but right now it’s looking like Halter may wear black next year (I guess unless we get a someone better as a transfer). 

Noticed poor Caffey never had a jersey with her name on the back…wonder what happened. I know we talked about it early in the season bc Bella and Caffey both were so late, but kinda sucks for her it lasted all season. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Im sure there will be some internal competition for libero next year, but right now it’s looking like Halter may wear black next year (I guess unless we get a someone better as a transfer). 

Noticed poor Caffey never had a jersey with her name on the back…wonder what happened. I know we talked about it early in the season bc Bella and Caffey both were so late, but kinda sucks for her it lasted all season. 

Yeah. We have enough money and pull with Nike. They should have gotten her a jersey. That’s some weak ass shit.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Gardner Barnes said:

Yeah. We have enough money and pull with Nike. They should have gotten her a jersey. That’s some weak ass shit.

I think at this point she is repping Texas on her jersey on purpose.  I find it hard to believe that they can't get a jersey with her name on it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Js1 said:

I don’t know who is calling the Final Four and finals this year. Last year was Sunderland and Salima. Thank god it’s not Courtney Lyle. She drives me insane and I’m so mad she was assigned to our regional games 

I thought I saw that Holly McPeak and Courtney Lyle are also doing the semifinals and finals? I'd much prefer Sunderland. Not trying to trigger you here.

7 hours ago, Js1 said:

No doubt, but her service streaks made for pretty big runs, even though ace-less or mostly so.  She's overall been somewhat disappointing compared to what I thought I saw in our season-ender against Corn.  Then again, I think Elliott was on her because of her effective service.

Halter has been quietly very impressive.  Maybe getting some top-tier/developed DS talent on roster has changed something more than trying to portal them in (meaning something in the recruiting approach or development).

The portal has been a game-changer for JE and I am happy for that and for him.  Without Fleck, and SKT, we're probably done by now and grumbling, bigtime.  That graphic during the game of all our missed opportunities was painful.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Js1 said:

It’s a bit negligible but after we had to face 6’0 Achante and 6’2 Podraza at the opposing setter position, we will face 5’9 Blossom at USD. Hopefully Logan and Skinner enjoy her front row rotations to hit over her block 

I don't think it's negligible at all.  Skinner and KU abusing Jhenna's block is one of the main reasons we lost in 2020.  It's no coincidence a 6ft SKT shows up a month later.

• Rage+1 1

48 minutes ago, Pogo said:

I don't think it's negligible at all.  Skinner and KU abusing Jhenna's block is one of the main reasons we lost in 2020.  It's no coincidence a 6ft SKT shows up a month later.

Right. Blossom is a tiny bit taller than Gabriel by an inch and our outsides should feast on it when she’s in the front row 

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Right. Blossom is a tiny bit taller than Gabriel by an inch and our outsides should feast on it when she’s in the front row 

I know Gabriel was listed at 5'8 but she's admitted in interviews she's 5'6. Which makes sense, because that's what she looks like. Which changes nothing about anything else you posted there. 

45 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

I know Gabriel was listed at 5'8 but she's admitted in interviews she's 5'6. Which makes sense, because that's what she looks like. Which changes nothing about anything else you posted there. 

5'6, 5'8, 5'9 - shouldn't make a shit for Molly, Logan and Madi hitting over her block. 

I know @SL Xpress follows it more than I do, but it looks like TAMU-CC Libero Carissa Barnes is someone we could/are targeting to replace Fleck for a year

SLC Libero of the Year in 2022, 2021, 2020
SLC Freshman of the Year in 2019
AVCA All-Region HM in 2020, 2021 and 2022

Averaged 5.48 digs per set 

Also Jenna Weenas appears to be portal bound. I've definitely thrown her name around as a potential Eggleston replacement 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Js1 said:

I know @SL Xpress follows it more than I do, but it looks like TAMU-CC Libero Carissa Barnes is someone we could/are targeting to replace Fleck for a year

Also Jenna Weenas appears to be portal bound. I've definitely thrown her name around as a potential Eggleston replacement 

A random person just posted on volleytalk that the Carissa Barnes thing is a done deal.

According to volleymetrics she passes a 2.44 on the year, and a 2.52 against tournament teams. 

That's...unreal. 

Mind you, I don't KNOW it's a done deal. It's a random anonymous poster. But I want to BELIEVE!

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

A random person just posted on volleytalk that the Carissa Barnes thing is a done deal.

According to volleymetrics she passes a 2.44 on the year, and a 2.52 against tournament teams. 

That's...unreal. 

Mind you, I don't KNOW it's a done deal. It's a random anonymous poster. But I want to BELIEVE!

I would like it a lot. Someone said she was at Texas last week visiting during the regional matches 

45 minutes ago, PantsTent said:

Came here from basketball board for something positive.  I feel this year has to be the year, but if this young lady from island aggy helps keep things rolling, I'm all for it.

Texas is a super power in volleyball. They've made 10 of the last 15 Final Fours. 17 straight Sweet 16s. 16 of 17 of the last Elite Eights. They have a ridiculous amount of talent on the roster and incoming. And Texas is the best recruiting program in the country out of the portal. One of the top 3 among freshmen, with Nebraska and Stanford. 

They're kind of like Bobby Bowden at Florida State in the 90s, though. Lots of top 5 finishes. Not many national championships. They have the best team this year, but the other 3 teams are really good as well. Including Thursday's opponent, which also has a bunch of transfers making a difference. It's a really fun sport to watch, IMO, in person or on television. 6pm on Thursday on ESPN. 

They won't be the prohibitive favorite going into the season next year. Stanford almost certainly will be the favorite for 2023. But Texas will probably be in the top 5, just like they are about every year, and they'll have a shot at it. 

In any case, this year absolutely doesn't have to be the year, but it will be a disappointment for sure if they don't win it. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

Texas is a super power in volleyball. They've made 10 of the last 15 Final Fours. 17 straight Sweet 16s. 16 of 17 of the last Elite Eights. They have a ridiculous amount of talent on the roster and incoming. And Texas is the best recruiting program in the country out of the portal. One of the top 3 among freshmen, with Nebraska and Stanford. 
They're kind of like Bobby Bowden at Florida State in the 90s, though. Lots of top 5 finishes. Not many national championships. They have the best team this year, but the other 3 teams are really good as well. Including Thursday's opponent, which also has a bunch of transfers making a difference. It's a really fun sport to watch, IMO, in person or on television. 6pm on Thursday on ESPN. 
They won't be the prohibitive favorite going into the season next year. Stanford almost certainly will be the favorite for 2023. But Texas will probably be in the top 5, just like they are about every year, and they'll have a shot at it. 
In any case, this year absolutely doesn't have to be the year, but it will be a disappointment for sure if they don't win it. 

I know you’re trying to get people on board but I’m aware of everything you posted and follow along here all year for the knowledge from the likes of you, js1, etc. Hook ‘Em!
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, PantsTent said:

I know you’re trying to get people on board but I’m aware of everything you posted and follow along here all year for the knowledge from the likes of you, js1, etc. Hook ‘Em!

No problem. Sometimes it's difficult to remember exact handles unless I scroll back. Just trying to be inviting any case we get some interlopers. Which, frankly, we should. A lot of bad news all over the place in other sports. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Js1 said:

Wennas would be a good get from the portal. I just don't think we have a scholarship available for her...unless someone transfers out. I think if anyone on the current roster did, it would be Parra.

Elliott just has a bevy of tall, physical pins I think he would rather play in the front row. 6'4 Byrd and 6'4 Helmers are coming in early this spring semester, 6'4 Kahahawai now has a season under her belt, Madi and Molly will be working to keep their spots on the court, and then 6'5 Tomkinson will be coming in the summer...and there's still 6' walk-on Miller who could probably get a scholarship somewhere else but wants to play at Texas. 

But even if a 'ship did open up, I still feel the priority should be getting an experienced setter. Right now, we have incoming freshman setter Swindle coming in the spring and a walk-on in Crownover. It'd be nice to get an experienced P5 setter from the transfer portal who can mentor Swindle.

• Like 1

On Texassports.com

12.13.2022 | Volleyball

No. 1 Volleyball preview: NCAA National Semifinal

_KAT8310_dO2AW.jpg&width=768&height=460&

The Longhorns make their 14th NCAA Final Four appearance and the 10th in the last 15 years.

No. 1 Texas Volleyball vs. No. 3 San Diego

Texas: 26-1 (15-1) | San Diego: 31-1 (18-0)
Thursday, Dec. 15 – 6 p.m. CT   ESPN
Chi Health Center | Omaha, Nebraska

THE MATCHUP
Texas holds a 5-1 record all-time against San Diego but this will be the first postseason meeting between the two teams. The Longhorns have won five-straight in the series after the Toreros won the first match-up in 2002. The last time these teams met, the Longhorns swept the Toreros in the 2021 season opener in Austin. In the Aug. 27, 2021 match, nine current Toreros players appeared in the match and four current Longhorns played. 

NCAA TOURNAMENT TALK
Texas is making its 14th NCAA National Semifinal appearance and its 10th in the last 15 seasons. This is the program's 39th NCAA Tournament appearance and the Longhorns have a 108-36 all-time record in the NCAA Tournament. In 13 previous NCAA Semifinals appearances, the Longhorns have advanced to eight National Championship matches. The Longhorns have won a total of three National Championships in program history. UT captured the AIAW National Championship in 1981 and also won NCAA Championships in 1988 and 2012.

FINAL FOUR APPEARANCES
No team has made more Final Four appearances than Texas over the last 15 seasons. The Longhorns are playing in the NCAA National Semifinals for the 10th time since 2008, while the team with the next-most appearances in that stretch is Penn State with seven. The Nittany Lions' last Final Four appearance came in 2017.

CHAMPIONSHIP PEDIGREE
After clinching the 2022 Big 12 title, Texas has won 28 conference championships, including 15 Big 12 titles and 13 Southwest Conference Championships. The 2022 title is a record sixth-straight Big 12 Championship for the Longhorns, who have won or shared 11 of the last 12 league championships and 14 of the previous 16.

BIG 12 AWARD WINNERS
Logan Eggleston is the Big 12 Player of the Year for the third-consecutive season, while Saige Ka'aha'aina-Torres is the Big 12 Setter of the Year, Zoe Fleck is the league's Libero of the Year and Jerritt Elliott is the Coach of the Year for the ninth time in his career. Eggleston joins Longhorn great Haley Eckerman as a three-time Player of the Year, as Eckerman won the award from 2012-14. A Texas player has been named the league's Player of the Year in 12 of the last 14 years. Fleck is also receiving her third-straight Libero of the Year Award after winning the Pac-12's annual award in 2020 and 2021.

ALL-BIG 12
For the first time in program history, Texas placed a record six players on the All-Big 12 First Team. The Longhorns' award winners Logan Eggleston, Saige Ka'aha'aina-Torres and Zoe Fleck were joined by Asjia O'Neal, Molly Phillips and Madisen Skinner. Eggleston, O'Neal and Skinner were all unanimous selections to the first team. 

AVCA ALL-REGION
Including three-time Region Player of the Year Logan Eggleston, the Longhorns had six players named to the AVCA All-Region teams. Eggleston, Zoe Fleck, Saige Ka'aha'aina-Torres, Asjia O'Neal, Molly Phillips and Madisen Skinner were all named to the team, making them eligible for All-America honors. Additionally, head coach Jerritt Elliott was named the AVCA Southwest Region Coach of the Year, his seventh career Region Coach of the Year award.

THREE-TIME PLAYER OF THE YEAR
Logan Eggleston joined Haley Eckerman as the Longhorns' only three-time Big 12 Players of the Year. Eggleston, who holds the Longhorns career aces record, ranks third all-time at Texas with 1,886 kills, 4,483 attempts and 2,248 career points. Her 1,886 kills also rank eighth in Big 12 history.

EFFICIENCY
Texas currently leads the country with a .339 hitting percentage, led by Asjia O'Neal, who ranks first nationally with a .448 hitting percentage. Last season Texas tied a program record and led the NCAA with a .343 team hitting percentage. That mark matches the 2007 team for the best in school history. The Longhorns have hit over a .300 clip in each of the last seven seasons from 2015-21, all ranking in the top-10 single season marks in program history. 

CONSISTENT SUCCESS
Texas has been the model of consistency for well over a decade now, being the only Division I volleyball program to have ended each of the last 16 seasons ranked in the top 10. The Longhorns have spent each of the last 203 AVCA polls ranked in the top 10, while the last time Texas was not ranked in the top 10 was Oct. 11, 2010. The Longhorns have also finished in the top 5 in 13 of the last 16 seasons, including 11-straight years from 2008-18. Texas also has the nation's longest active streak of NCAA Regional Semifinal ("Sweet 16") appearances with 17-straight. Of the last 16 regional semifinal appearances, the Longhorns have advanced to 15 NCAA Regional Finals, 10 National Semifinals and five National Championship matches. 

ACE QUEEN
Logan Eggleston became the Texas and Big 12 Conference all-time leader in career aces, currently with 207 service aces, surpassing Mira Topic (2001-04) who had 185 service aces in her Texas career. Topic, who played in 432 career sets also holds the program record with 0.43 service aces per set. Eggleston is currently averaging 0.43 aces per set over her 486 career sets played. Eggleston surpassed Baylor's Taylor Barnes (2006-09) for the Big 12 record.

THE FLECK EFFECT
Zoe Fleck has made an instant impact this season, starting every match at libero and averaging 4.38 digs per set. Fleck is the Big 12 Libero of the Year Year after being named Big 12 Defensive Player of the Week three times this season. Texas has not had a player average 4-plus digs per set since Cat McCoy set a program record with 4.41 digs per set in 2017. McCoy, the Texas' all-time career digs leader, was named Honorable Mention All-American in 2017 and to the All-Big 12 second team in 2015 and 2017.

QB1
In her first season as the Longhorns' starting setter, Saige Ka'aha'aina-Torres has been named the Big 12 Setter of the Year. She quarterbacked the Texas offense to the nation's top hitting percentage at .339, the sixth-most assists per set nationally at 13.48, and the eighth-most kills per set with 14.37. Ka'aha'aina-Torres also leads the Big 12 and ranks ninth nationally with 11.30 assists per set. In 2019 at Utah, Ka'aha'aina-Torres averaged 11.33 assists per set and led the Utes to the NCAA Regional Semifinal. She was named an Honorable Mention All-American in both 2019 and 2020. 

RANK AND FILE
UT owns a 137-57 (.706) record against ranked opponents over the last 19 seasons (2004-22) and boasts a 64-13 (.831) home mark against ranked opponents at Gregory Gymnasium (61-13) and the Frank Erwin Center (3-0) during that span. The Longhorns are 8-0 this season against ranked opponents.

THE ROSTER
Texas returns seven players from the 2021 squad, including three All-Big 12 players, and welcomes one of the nation's best recruiting classes featuring five freshmen and six transfers. The familiar faces of Logan Eggleston, Asjia O'Neal and Molly Phillips all return. Of the freshmen, three are top-50 ranked recruits with Emma Halter and Gatorade State Players of the Year Devin Kahahawai and Marianna Singletary. The group of transfers includes three players who have received All-America recognition, Zoe Fleck (UCLA/UCSB), Madisen Skinner (Kentucky) and Kayla Caffey (Nebraska/Missouri). The other three transfers all played significant roles at their previous schools, Jenna Ewert (Colorado), Bella Bergmark (Cal) and Keonilei Akana (Nebraska). 

HOME COURT ADVANTAGE
A large part of the Longhorns winning 11 of the last 12 Big 12 Championships has come down to winning at home. Over the last 13 seasons, Texas has produced a 197-12 (.943) record in home matches. In that same span, the Longhorns have gone 105-1 in home league matches. The Longhorns' only home Big 12 loss since 2010 came against Oklahoma on Oct. 25, 2014. Texas has won 66-straight home matches in Big 12 play, dating back to the 2014 season. During that streak, the Longhorns have had 53 sweeps and only dropped a total of 17 sets. 

ATTENDANCE
Texas currently ranks fifth nationally and first in the Big 12, with a program record average attendance of 4,364. The Longhorns have had 12-straight sellouts at Gregory Gym and 14 overall this season. In the NCAA Regional Final against Ohio State, Texas set a Gregory Gym attendance record with a crowd of 5,344. Last season Texas ranked fourth nationally, with an average attendance of 3,626. For the season, Texas had six sellouts at Gregory Gym in 2021.

THE LOSS
The Longhorns were the country's last remaining undefeated team before falling in five sets at Iowa State, snapping a 20-match regular-season winning streak dating back to last season. Texas last lost to Iowa State in 2016 in Ames, before rattling off eight-straight wins to advance to the national championship match and finishing runner up. Prior to that, the Longhorns lost to the Cyclones in 2012 in the regular season finale before going on to win the national championship.

RANKINGS
Texas ended the regular season ranked No. 1 in the AVCA Coaches' Poll and spent 13 total weeks in the top spot this season. The Longhorns began the 2022 season as the No. 2 ranked team in the preseason poll before spending eight-straight weeks ranked No. 1. Texas appeared in the top four of the AVCA preseason poll for the 16th-consecutive season and was ranked in the top two spots for the ninth time in the last 16 seasons. Since 2019 the Longhorns have spent 35 total weeks ranked No. 1. Texas, who was picked first in the Big 12 Coaches' Poll for the 12th consecutive year, is one of two Big 12 teams in the top-25 as Baylor checks in at No. 17.

https://texassports.com/news/2022/12/13/no-1-volleyball-preview-ncaa-national-semifinal.aspx

• Hook 'Em 1