2022 Volleyball - Stacked as Hell

Js1

TCU match canceled due to sickness of TCU players and staff. Probably a flu thing. Should be an announcement forthcoming. 

Next match not until a week from tomorrow against Iowa State at home. My hope is they'll figure out a way to reschedule the TCU match, but I don't have any idea what the chances of that are.

6 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

TCU match canceled due to sickness of TCU players and staff. Probably a flu thing. Should be an announcement forthcoming. 

Next match not until a week from tomorrow against Iowa State at home. My hope is they'll figure out a way to reschedule the TCU match, but I don't have any idea what the chances of that are.

Not that I'm worried about our RPI (we will be #1 seeded team if we finish all our matches), but a top 50 opponent in TCU is still nice. 

12 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Not that I'm worried about our RPI (we will be #1 seeded team if we finish all our matches), but a top 50 opponent in TCU is still nice. 

I want reps. 

Jason Williams has done a good job in his first year at TCU after being an assistant under McGyure at Baylor. I watched an open mic TCU put out there with him in the preseason. Very likable, funny guy. They didn't look good out of the gate but they've really improved in conference season. I maintain the Big 12 is not that great in terms of providing an Elite Eight type opponent, but TCU was another one that would have been the equivalent of a first round tournament match. 

If this one's not rescheduled there's only 5 matches left. Only two of them away, and they're against the two bottom dwellers of the conference. OU has some young talent (just beat KU at home 3-2) but West Virginia has been flat out irredeemably awful.

29 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Yeah, we need more action against better competition... hopefully CDC can work out rescheduling this match.  

On 10/31/2022 at 8:44 AM, Js1 said:

Top ranked 2023 libero Laney Choboy (Minnesota commit) is choosing between staying at Minny or flipping to Texas or Nebraska, due to McCutcheon's retirement. 

She was at the Texas Tech match to visit.  

With Fleck graduating, Choboy would contend for the Libero jersey on day 1.   She'd be well behind Lexi Rodriguez at Nebraska for that jersey. 

Texas probably has a good chance here if she decides to ditch Minnesota. 

Just like football, don't worry about the numbers.  NLI can push someone off scholarship and there will likely be transfers, because there always are.  But a backcourt of Choboy, Halter and Akana is still really really good. 

She picked Corn. So Baby Spice it is and maybe a transfer libero 

• Like 1

Cyclones run a few quick plays in middle tonight that have been impressive... 

Glad to see blocking pick up for Texas later in match.  Nice to see Texas not giving away a bunch of points on poor serves.

Texas up 11-8 in 3rd set

Edited by LTtxfan

11.09.2022 | Volleyball

No. 1 Volleyball announces 2023 signing class

The Longhorns have signed five student-athletes to National Letters of Intent

AUSTIN, Texas – No. 1 Texas Volleyball and head coach Jerritt Elliott announced the signing of three student-athletes to National Letters of Intent in the class of 2023.

The Longhorns will be adding middle blocker Nya Bunton, outside hitters Jordyn Byrd and Sydney Helmers, setter Ella Swindle and right side Auburn Tomkinson. 

"As a whole, this class is exciting and probably our most physical class that we've brought in," Elliott said. "The development potential is there and they have the opportunity to become elite volleyball players. "We have three players that are coming early and we're super excited about that with Sydney, Ella and Jordyn. That will give them an opportunity to get into our strength and conditioning, to start understanding our systems and maybe play a little beach and have some fun with our team."

Nya Bunton | MB | 6-3 | Louisville, Ky. | duPont Manual High School
QUOTES FROM COACH ELLIOTT
"Nya was the top middle blocker in the class and we are super excited to have her. She's very family oriented, a great person and a team player. She's been part of Team USA for the last few years and won a gold medal. She has so many great skillsets and will be able to continue the great tradition of middle blockers that have come through this program."

PRIOR TO TEXAS
All-State player for head coach Richard Weaver at duPont Manual High School…named 2022 Ms. Kentucky Volleyball…2022 AVCA First Team All-American…first team All-State in 2021 and 2022, second team All-State in 2020…ranked as the No. 9 player in the class by PrepVolleyball…named duPont Manual team MVP in 2020-22…member of USA U-19 National Team that won gold at 2022 Pan American Cup…named to JVA All-National Team in 2020-22…Under Armor Next All-America Team Invite in 2022…invited to USA U-18 National Training Team in 2021…AAU Jr. National Championships 14 Open Champion and team MVP in 2019.

PERSONAL
Daughter of B.J. and Quita Bunton…has one sister, Emerie…father, B.J. played basketball at UCSB (1995-98), grandfather Bill Bunton played basketball at Louisville.

WHY TEXAS?
"Texas has a rich winning program and is known for leading players in my position (Middle Blocker) to their goals of playing for the national team. I love the coaching staff and players, they are all so welcoming as well as competitive and I know they will all make me better. Overall I'm excited to be a part of this culture and environment that I know I will grow in."

Jordyn Byrd | OH | 6-4 | Bradenton, Florida | Cardinal Mooney Catholic
"Jordyn is a really physical player out of Florida that played multiple positions growing up. We're excited about where she is as an athlete and we think she has the capability of being the kind of a player that has the tools to take over matches."

PRIOR TO TEXAS
Four-year starter and four-time All-State player for head coach Chad Davis at Cardinal Mooney High School…2021-22 Gatorade Florida Volleyball Player of the Year…member of 3A State Championship team in 2019…named a Max Preps All-American in 2021…Herald-Tribune Preps Player of the Year in 2021…USA National Development Team Member in 2021-22…named Offensive MVP in 2021-22…also SAIC State Champion on the beach volleyball team…member of basketball team and team MVP in 2019-20…helped lead the team to back-to-back 3A state runner-up finish…played softball as well.

PERSONAL
Daughter of Doug and Angie Byrd…has two brothers, Jalen and Jamar…father, Doug, played basketball at Seward County CC (1997-98) and Friends University (1999-2001)…mother, Angie, played volleyball at Seward County CC (1998-99) and North Alabama (2000-02).

WHY TEXAS?
"Texas has an awesome environment, with a rich winning tradition and I could see myself being there. The team, coaches, and staff members associated with Texas Volleyball was very welcoming. It just felt like home."

Sydney Helmers | OH | 6-4 | Louisville, Ky. | Assumption High School
"Sydney is another physical outside hitter that has a lot of great skillsets. We feel that she has the skills to be one of the premier outside hitters in the country. We're excited about her range, her size, her physicality and the things that she brings to the table."

PRIOR TO TEXAS
Three-year starter at Assumption High School in Louisville…Kentucky Volleyball Coaches Association (KVCA) First Team All-State in 2019, 2020, 2021…First Team Academic All-State in 2021…named the 2021 Kentucky High School Athletic Association (KHSAA) Region 7 player of the Year…named to the KHSAA Region 7 All-Tournament Team in 2020 and 2021…named to JVA All-National Team class of 2023…AVCA Phenom List in 2020, 2021 and 2022…member of the 2019 AAU All-American Team.

PERSONAL
Daughter of Andrew and Linda Helmers…has one sister, Emily…father, Andrew, played basketball at Thomas Moore College...mother, Linda, was a track and field athlete at Kentucky. 

WHY TEXAS?
"The University and the coaching staff's core values and vision aligned with everything that I was looking for in a school. When I visited campus for the fist time, I had the feeling that I walked into a big family where everyone supports each other. The fact that the school, coaches and players all worked towards the common goal of being their best, is what really made me choose Texas."

Ella Swindle | S | 6-3 | Columbia, Mo. | Rock Bridge High School
"Ella is an elite setter. Not only with the physical components and the technical components, but from the mindset. She's someone that is super driven and is a very team-oriented player. We're excited to bring that kind of person, with the qualities that she has on and off the court into our program."

PRIOR TO TEXAS
Four-year starter and All-State setter for head coach Trevor Koelling at Rock Bridge High School…2021-22 Gatorade Missouri Volleyball Player of the Year…named a 2022 Under Armour All-American…2022 AVCA First Team All-American…AVCA Best & Brightest First Team in 2022…participated in 2022 Missouri/Kansas Challenge All-Star game…VolleyballMag All-America Honorable mention in 2022…named the All-Conference Offensive Player of the Year in 2020 and 2021…Rock Bridge High School record holder in assists, blocks and aces…notched more than 3,000 career assists, putting her in the top five in the state of Missouri all-time…named All-State, Academic All-State, All-District and All-Conference in 2019-21…competed for USA Volleyball U-21 National Training Team in 2022… USA Youth National Training team in 2021…member of the USA Youth National Team in 2020.

PERSONAL
Daughter of Jason and Sarah Swindle…has two siblings, Claire and JP…sister, Claire, is a student at SMU…grandfather, Skip Grossnickle, played football at Missouri (1964-67) and is a member of the Missouri Sports Hall of Fame…uncle, Don Walsworth, golfed at Stanford (1982-86).

WHY TEXAS?
"I chose Texas because it offers everything that I was looking for in a program. It offers rigorous competition on the court and in the classroom, has a family-like culture, and countless opportunities for me to grow as an individual. I don't have to sacrifice anything to attend The University of Texas."

Auburn Tomkinson | RS | 6-5 | Carlsbad, Calif. | Carlsbad High School
"Auburn is an elite blocker for the age she's at right now. She's a player that's going to continue to get stronger but is a left-handed hitter that can bring some different looks for opponents and we're excited about her growth and development."

PRIOR TO TEXAS
Three-year starter for head coach Rylee Arispe at Carlsbad High School…2022 AVCA High School All-Region...2022 AVCA Third Team All-American…named to the 2022 AVCA Best & Brightest first team…participated in the USA Volleyball NTDP Training Series (2021-22)…2022 AVCA All-American watch list…2022 Prep Volelyball GJNC All-Tournament Honorable Mention…2022 Big South Qualifier All-Tournament Team and Las Vegas Red Rock Rave Qualifier All-Tournament Team…First team All-Coastal League 2021…Second team All-CIF-SDS 2021…also competed in the high jump for the track and field team.

PERSONAL
Daughter of Kristin and Andy Tomkinson…has one brother, Parker…mother played volleyball at William & Mary (1995-96), UCSB (1997) and Cal Lutheran (1998) and professionally for TI-Volley Australia (2000-01)…father played volleyball at UCSB (1996-2000) and professionally for Volleyball Team Tirol (2000-01). 

WHY TEXAS?
"I chose Texas due to the culture of excellence, family atmosphere, and unmatched combination of athletics and academics."

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

An all out-of-state recruiting class. Cool

The beauty of Texas Volleyball - in-state class is meh? Cherry pick elite out of state recruits. 

• Swindle comes in the spring, unlike Shook, so she gets a full spring and summer with Texas.  We still need to target a transfer setter because we do not want all our eggs in one basket, like we did with Shook. 
  • Bunton will probably redshirt, as our starting MBs will be Bergmark and Singletary (unless O'Neal comes back) and Texas likes to redshirt their incoming MBs.
  • I expect all our incoming outside hitters to get sparing/situational playing time (like Devin does this year in blowouts or situationally as a blocking sub late in sets), with Skinner and Molly and Parra all returning and Devin with a year in the program already.  But any of them can challenge Parra for that second OH spot, or contend for it if Parra is not here next year. 
  • Hook 'Em 1

The 2023 class is adding a lot of size in the front row: 6'3 Swindle & Bunton, 6'4 Byrd & Helmers, and 6'5 Tomkinson. 

Byrd has a fast arm-swing and hits well at both pins but has yet to play against high-level competition at the HS or club levels. Helmers can hit a variety of shots and Tomkinson is a lefty opposite who is already a decent blocker, but both will need to focus on strength & conditioning to add some power to their shots.  None of the pin hitters are coming in with strong backcourt skills unfortunately. 

OH/Opp depth shouldn't be a problem next year with Skinner, Parra (if she doesn't transfer), Kahahawai, Byrd, Helmers, Tomkinson, and walk-on Miller. Someone from this group needs to step-up as a consistent, out-of-system hitter though. 

I think Phillips needs to be moved back to MB for depth, experience, and leadership on the court. I think she will start with either Bergmark or Singletary. Bunton will probably be redshirting like most true freshman MBs at Texas.

I agree that we need a seasoned transfer setter in case Swindle pulls a Shook with her setting location and consistency...and we really don't know much about this year's walk-on setter Crownover. 

We will still have Halter and Akana in the backcourt, but Skinner, Parra, or Kahahawai need to step up as we won't have a strong 3rd Libero/DS on the roster next year. 

Swindle, Byrd, and Helmers are all arriving early in the spring. 

Edited by TexasDPT
  • Hook 'Em 3

12 minutes ago, TexasDPT said:

I agree that we need a seasoned transfer setter in case Swindle pulls a Shook with her setting location and consistency...and we really don't know much about this year's walk-on setter Crownover. 

We will still have Halter and Akana in the backcourt, but Skinner, Parra, or Kahahawai need to step up as we won't have a strong 3rd Libero/DS on the roster next year. 

Elliot will leverage NIL to hit the portal for a potential 3rd libero/DS if needed + transfer setter.  Like Ewert, maybe a grad transfer who wants a year of her grad school paid for by Texas (scholarship or NIL). 

Also agree that Molly could move back to MB easily, giving Devin the RS role full-time. 

Parra is such a fan favorite, I could see NIL being an option for her so we can allocate her scholarship.  Texas has not had a lot of big time Mexican national athletes and this is the state of Texas. 

Edited by Js1

3 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

TCU continues to improve under their new coach. I wonder if their win over Baylor today could sneak them into the tournament 

They really need to go undefeated on the road @WVU, at home hosting KSU, and then closing out OU in Norman. 

It helps them a little bit they don't have the potential loss to Texas due to the forfeit (the match counts in the standings as a loss in conference play, but it's not counted by the committee or in their win-loss record overall). I do not for one second believe that was the reason for the forfeit. I believe it was an outbreak of the flu. I also don't think it's an overwhelming advantage. But it does help them a little bit. 

Losing any of those 3 would probably put them firmly on the bubble. Losing 2 of them and they're out for sure. 

But yes. Winning out looks like it puts them in the tournament.