2022 Volleyball - Stacked as Hell

Js1

Scott, I want you to meet Daddy's nemesis, The Longhorns.

What, are you letting them hang around in the third set? Why don't you just kill him?

No, Scott. I have an even better idea. I'm going to place him in an easily escapable situation involving an overly elaborate and exotic death.

Why don't you just shoot him now? I mean, I'll go get a gun. We'll shoot him together. It'll be fun. Bang! Dead. Done

• Haha 3

This really solidifies the lineup - no Molly, no Bergmark. Skinner on the right, Caffey in the middle, Logan/Parra outside. Whole match changed with Caffey in 

1 minute ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Final score?

23-25, 23-25, 25-18, 25-22, 15-9

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Feels like Texas can get a lot better offensively because they'e been playing so much with Molly and Bergmark. 

Nothing against either player, but you can just see the different level of offensive firepower when Texas plays Skinner on the right and Caffey in the middle. 

The quick to Caffey is lethal. Texas has rarely run quicks with the middles for several years now. Never understood it, but now that  Caffey is playing they’ve started running them. Even some with O’Neal. There hard to stop when run correctly.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, sunset87 said:

The quick to Caffey is lethal. Texas has rarely run quicks with the middles for several years now. Never understood it, but now that  Caffey is playing they’ve started running them. Even some with O’Neal. There hard to stop when run correctly.

Yea, I really want to see more of it. Hopefully he's worried about the passing early in the season our something. 

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I can't remember who said it but Molly needs to move back to the middle. Doesn't Texas lose a couple middles after this season? 

It really doesn't seem like Molly has the athleticism or mobility to play on the right.

👋 Yep, I've been saying this for awhile. She's played the past 2 seasons on the right, but really hasn't done much. She puts up a big block but really only hits one shot...a sharp, cross-court shot that she hits really well in-system, but other than that doesn't have the range or power to be an effective pin hitter. 

I'm in favor of keeping Skinner on the right, Parra on the left, and Caffey in the middle over Bergmark.  We need Caffey's offense in the middle to leave the pins 1-on-1. 

Blocking isn't going to be a strength of this team, but as long as they can put efficient blocks up against opponents, the back-row will just have to pick up the slack...which I think they are capable of this year!

Molly should move back to the middle and start training for next year. It'll be her, Bergmark, Singletary (RS-freshman), and Bunton (true freshman)...unless someone with a scholarship transfers and he pulls someone in the portal. But right now, all 12 scholarships are accounted for already for next season. 

Edited by TexasDPT
  • Hook 'Em 3

6 hours ago, TexasDPT said:

👋 Yep, I've been saying this for awhile. She's played the past 2 seasons on the right, but really hasn't done much. She puts up a big block but really only hits one shot...a sharp, cross-court shot that she hits really well in-system, but other than that doesn't have the range or power to be an effective pin hitter. 

I'm in favor of keeping Skinner on the right, Parra on the left, and Caffey in the middle over Bergmark.  We need Caffey's offense in the middle to leave the pins 1-on-1. 

Blocking isn't going to be a strength of this team, but as long as they can put efficient blocks up against opponents, the back-row will just have to pick up the slack...which I think they are capable of this year!

Molly should move back to the middle and start training for next year. It'll be her, Bergmark, Singletary (RS-freshman), and Bunton (true freshman)...unless someone with a scholarship transfers and he pulls someone in the portal. But right now, all 12 scholarships are accounted for already for next season. 

O’Neal has a Covid year if she wants it 

I guess it's an integration thing, but Caffey was pretty lethal against us last year and I had expected her to show more for us.  Looks like that's finally happening.

And, regarding middles generally, it seemed like it was kind of hard to make proper use of Brionne Butler (difficult to set for) and that hampered more conventional or routine usage of MB and we're maybe just now getting over that.

Edited by TwiceHorn

I continue not to envy Elliot at all, because he's going to have to make some hard calls regarding fan favorites (Molly) if he wants to get Logan a ring before she's gone. 

• Logan 6 rotations, she can't leave the court ever
  • Parra 4 rotations - 3 along the front and serving (Halter for her other 2 backrow rotations).  Her serve is valuable (2 aces to close to set 3) and she really does have some creative shots in her arsenal and hits a really heavy ball.  She's a bit of a blocking liability, but she can be subbed for a bigger block with Devin. 
  • Skinner on the RS - she just hits better from that position.  I know she came in wanting to be a left side hitter, but it's just not her game (yet).  The opportunity to slide over in 2023 exists when Logan is gone, she just needs to wait.  She's a bit of a liability in serve receive, so I'd continue to have Akana sub for her in the backrow.  At least Akana gets you some aces and really nice digs and can set when SKT takes the first contact, because she's also a bit of a liability in serve receive too. 
  • Caffey and O'Neal in the middle.  You give up some height on the block, but Caffey is damn athletic and better offensively.  She had 118 blocks at Nebraska, she can do it. But it's truly hard to sit such an explosives offensive weapon just for Bergmark's block. 

We all love Molly Green Giant, but she has options galore - 2 more years here and can slide to the middle if O'Neal leave (her and Bergmark/Singletary) or move to the RS if she beats out Devin (if Madi moves to the outside with Parra in 2023). 

At this point, you put your best offensive players on the floor (Logan, Parra, Madi, Caffey, O'Neal) and let your floor defense cover up the less than stellar block.  Because we actually have a floor defense that can cover for a smaller block. 

And let's be real - our B team is still better than 80% of the Big 12.  There's playing time galore for Molly and Bella and even Devin when we face teams like Tech, TCU, Kansas State, OU, ISU and WV.  Outside of Baylor and Kansas, the rest of the Big 12 is meh.  Texas, KU, Baylor and Tech are all projected to finish the season in the top 35 of the RPI.  Then everyone else is 50 or below (OU 51, Kansas State 54, ISU 77, TCU 137, WV 136) 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, texfan11 said:

We also had a reverse sweep against Kansas last year in Lawrence when we were all shocked Caroline Bien went unrecruited. 

Kansas had a pretty weak non-conference SOS, but I definitely see them moving up the rankings throughout the season. 

Lawrence has not been fun for us. A couple reverse sweeps, we lost there in 2018, a 5 set win in 2017, 5 set loss in 2016

Can anyone help in explaining why this program has so many service errors?  I feel like that’s the thing that has made me the most angry when watching Texas volleyball over the last several years.  I, personally, equate serving to a lay-up in basketball.  Am I wrong there?

3 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Can anyone help in explaining why this program has so many service errors?  I feel like that’s the thing that has made me the most angry when watching Texas volleyball over the last several years.  I, personally, equate serving to a lay-up in basketball.  Am I wrong there?

I wish I knew. Aggressive serving that goes long/wide? There’s a *chance* it may nick the line or someone touches it. But right into the net? Not a damn good thing comes from that. I def yelled at my tv “oh come on!” in the 2nd set when we did it 4 straight times. 

Though still not as bad as the Tennessee player who served the ball into the back of her middle blocker’s head last night 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Pancho said:

I, personally, equate serving to a lay-up in basketball.  Am I wrong there?

Yes.  Getting a serve over the net and inside the lines is a layup, no question about it.  Targeting a specific player w/ velocity is nowhere close to the same thing.  A comparable basketball reference might be the layup line pre game vs driving a packed lane.

• Hook 'Em 3

It’s more like serving in tennis.  Good players can put the ball over the net and in the square consistently, as shown by 2nd serve percentages. But when attempting pace and spin, it gets less accurate, as shown by first serve percentages. 

coach and player need to know their limitations and the flow of the game to know when to attack on serve and when to dial it back. 

if they are catching tape or net when dialed back, that’s concentration.  Or an aggressive attempt to have the ball barely clear the net and die. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Well, the SEs went up dramatically when we began to emphasize aggressive serving a couple of years back.  It was a stated goal of Elliott's.

For the most part, since that time, SEs have gone trended downward, especially in comparison to aces and to "hard to handle" serves.  Every now and then, though, they raise their ugly head again.

Sometimes, though, you'd think they'd err on the side of getting it in in certain situations over executing a tough serve.  But, as Pato says, maybe it becomes difficult to "let up" even when the situation may call for it.

9 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

As opposed to Ohio state and Stanford?  

Horejsi is much smaller than Maples and Covelli - 2000 capacity and they had 1900 fans.   Both Ohio State and Stanford had around 4,000 fans for our match, but last night's seemed much more raucous and loud. 

23 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Horejsi is much smaller than Maples and Covelli - 2000 capacity and they had 1900 fans.   Both Ohio State and Stanford had around 4,000 fans for our match, but last night's seemed much more raucous and loud. 

And did you know it was recently renovated?  You may have heard about it one of the 10 or so times it was mentioned during the broadcast last night. 

• Haha 4