2022 Volleyball - Stacked as Hell

Js1

2 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

What's the fewest sets lost in a season? 

These first 4 matches were supposed to be the toughest and Texas only lost 2 sets. 

Good question. We don’t play as many matches as most teams. I know 26 sweeps is our all time record in a season. 

Just now, Wax Beer Cup said:

Nice road win.  Now we get a couple of weeks at home to work some things out before starting conference play on the road at KU 9/21. 🤘

4 straight wins over top 15 teams, including 3 on the road.

UC Davis, Denver, High Point, UH. Some nice match to play around with lineups and combos 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

What's the fewest sets lost in a season? 

These first 4 matches were supposed to be the toughest and Texas only lost 2 sets. 

This is really pretty typical.  Because of the athleticism of our bigs, we usually beat up pretty good on more balanced teams that need some time to gel.

So what happens is, they get better over the season, and we really don't much between the B12 and the limitations of our setters and back row players.

This year gon be different.  Hell, spark plug Fleck is probably going to keep us from sleepwalking a few sets in conference and we can only get better. That and the fact that we can rotate in an entire top-10 team.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Article in Italian from a week ago about Zoe Fleck:

https://www.volleynews.it/zoe-fleck-nel-dream-team-delle-texas-longhorns-unoccasione-incredibile/

Here's the Google translation:

Spoiler

Zoe Fleck in the Texas Longhorns dream team: "An incredible opportunity!"

August 30, 2022
Zoe-Fleck-Texas-Longhorns-696x456.jpg Instagram photo Zoe Fleck

By Alessandro Garotta

The " superteam " for some years have been a consolidated reality in the American sports world: the Los Angeles Lakers 2003-2004, the Boston Celtics 2007-2008, the Miami Heat 2010-2014 and the Golden State Warriors 2017-2019 in the NBA and the Los Angeles Rams 2021-2022 in the NFL represent the epitome of this concept. This season, however, there is another team that seems to be able to rival on this level, at least as far as the world of NCAA volleyball is concerned . 

In fact, a sensational recruiting has meant that three of the best high-school talents in the entire nation, Emma Halter , Devin Kahahawai and Marianna Singletary , play for the same team, the Texas Longhorns : therefore, a bright future for the Austin University. But the present is no less: coach Jerritt Elliott and his staff can count on an already very strong group composed of the certainties Asjia O'Neal, Logan Eggleston, Molly Phillips, Saige Ka'aha'aina and Bella Bergmark, to whom in summer was also added the new free Zoe Fleck 

Volley NEWS wants to take you to the discovery of this player who, after having earned the spotlight with terrific performances and true leader numbers at UC Santa Barbara and UCLA , will lead the second line of the Longhorns with the aim of winning the title : it would be the best business card for the professional path that will begin in a few months.

Zoe-Fleck-NCAA.jpgInstagram photo Zoe Fleck

Zoe, introduce yourself briefly by telling us something about yourself.

I was born and raised in Los Angeles, California. Both of my parents were athletes: my mother played volleyball, while my father was a UCLA diving champion. I have two younger brothers and, in general, mine is a family that loves sports and competitive spirit. We have always been very active, whether it was hiking, camping or going to the beach, where I discovered Beach Volleyball “.

How was your passion for volleyball born? 

I had my first indoor volleyball experience when I was 9, when my mother took me to an audition to join a local club. I was already playing soccer and cross country, but he thought I should try volley as well. At first I was so thin that the knee pads kept going down my shins (see photo below, ed) ! Of course, being very small, I was immediately deployed as free and I remember immediately falling in love with this sport “.

Zoe-Fleck.jpgInstagram photo Zoe Fleck

Who first saw your potential?

Morgan Wijay and Stephanie Wigfall, my first coaches to whom I am still very attached. They have always encouraged and supported me. Last year, when I started my free youth volleyball coaching camps, they were the first people I called for some advice. Both are exceptional models for me and I know they will always be ready to help me “.

You played for two seasons with the UCLA Bruins: how would you describe this experience? What is your best memory?

Growing up in the Bruins family, having the opportunity to play for UCLA in front of my friends and family: it was the fulfillment of a dream I had as a child! I will always carry with me the memory of the first time we played against USC at the Pauley Pavilion  in  front of 6,500 fans, winning that game and celebrating with teammates and our families “.

Your supersenior year in the NCAA has just begun. Why did you move to the University of Texas?

After graduating from UCLA, I strongly considered the option of going professional. My partner and I talked a lot about the possibility of moving to Europe last January for the start of a new phase in my career. But then I got the offer from the University of Texas and there was a real astral conjunction. Being part of this program is an incredible opportunity, also because in the meantime I can earn my second degree and continue my coaching camps. In my university career so far I have been lucky enough to attend extraordinary gyms and learn from great coaches, but I have the feeling that I have left the best in the end “.

Zoe-Fleck-University-of-Texas-Longhorns.Instagram photo Zoe Fleck

What are your goals for the fall season 2022?

I usually try to avoid creating expectations, both in sport and in life. I prefer to focus on what I am doing right now rather than worrying about the future or dwelling on the past. Immediately after my arrival in Texas, our team chose their motto for this season: 'I am, because we are  ' . If I can feel joy and gratitude for the present, then I can hope it is the same for the whole team. This is my goal: to enjoy the journey, moment by moment “.

The Texas Longhorns roster is truly spatial this year. How do you see your new team?

The competition within our team is something unreal. The staff have done an incredible job of putting together a group of amazing players. But even more important is the great work in bringing together people who want to learn and grow. Whether you're a freshman or, like me, you're in your fifth season of college volleyball, we all try to improve every time we hit the gym. I find this aspect very stimulating “.

In 2023 you will start your professional career. What do you expect from this new adventure?

"I am excited to start my adventure as a professional player, but I have no illusions. I've talked to free players who are playing or have played in Europe and I know it's a great challenge. I must also say that I am lucky to have a companion who is originally from Europe and who is willing to travel abroad with me. When I decided to move to Texas for this season, he agreed to come with me and we said: 'I have a year to be part of this program, meet new people, assimilate the mechanics of the team, compete at the highest level. as high as possible and then move on to the next step '; so, I see this as my first professional experience. Of course in Europe I will also find new cultures, languages, styles of play and competitions,".

University-of-Texas-Zoe-Fleck.jpgInstagram photo Zoe Fleck

What is your main strength as a player?

"I think one of my strengths is having learned to accept adversity. I wasn't one of the first recruits out of high school, and no college offered me a four-year scholarship. In the United States, going to college is expensive, and my parents were honest with me, telling me that they couldn't afford to pay for my university and that I should be earning a scholarship. So, during my career I had to move for financial reasons: Texas is my third college in five years. The biggest difficulties of this path have been the uncertainty and the constant changes, but at the same time I think they have been lucky. In fact, I was able to play with many teammates and be trained by different coaches, and so I learned to adapt and feel at ease even in the most uncomfortable situations. I think these skills are very important for a player who wants to turn pro, especially if she has to play abroad".

What are your dreams for the future?

One day I would like to play in Serie A. I know that there are few foreign free players in Italy because in this role there are strong local players (I played together with an Italian free, Emilia Petrachi, during my experience at UC Santa Barbara); however there are some, such as Brenda Castillo in Scandicci. In addition, my friends currently involved in the Italian championship, including Mac May in Bergamo, told me about the warmth of the fans and how good it is to play in front of them. I would also like to continue to implement my coaching business and help volleyball grow as much as possible. It is the best sport in the world and in the United States its popularity is constantly growing, so I'm really curious to see how this scenario will evolve in the next decade “.

One last curiosity. What are your non-volleyball passions?

Outside of volleyball, I have a great passion for animals. I've been vegan for four years and I like to raise awareness or help out with animal charities. In addition, I have always been in love with gymnastics and I practice various sports, including tennis. I recently started playing pickleball too! ".

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Meant to ask this earlier, but Tree seems to be falling off under Hamby after earlier success, maybe attributable to Dunning's recruits.

True or false?

Not wrong. Something kind of stinks in Palo Alto. 

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

6 coaches looked at Texas going 4-0 over Ohio State, Minnesota and Stanford and didn’t rank us #1

1 Texas (58)

2 Corn (6)

3 Minny

8 Ohio State

11 Stanford

15 Baylor

19 Kansas

Those six coaches ain't been payin attention to Fleck, Akana, and Halter, among others.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

The point at 1:03:13 is incredible. Fleck and #45 keeping the ball alive and then the roof to finish it off. I'm not sure who #45 is as there is no #45 on the roster. Maybe another spare jersey situation hah

45 is Bergmark. She transferred in from Cal.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

On second look, it was #46 not #45 who made the play. Any idea who she is?

Akana. I wonder if we have a lack of road tops in their numbers and they will bounce around with what we have in stock until their custom ones come

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

This is truly the best defensive backcourt we've had and I say that confidently after 4 matches. 

This type of backcourt would have won us about 5-6 more titles (2009, 2013/14, 2015, 2016, 2017/18, 2020/21). 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Js1 said:

This is truly the best defensive backcourt we've had and I say that confidently after 4 matches. 

This type of backcourt would have won us about 5-6 more titles (2009, 2013/14, 2015, 2016, 2017/18, 2020/21). 

I feel like this is the reason why high-level Liberos/DS's did not want to commit Texas. The staff were just bad evaluators of talent or they had the reputation of being unable to  develop talent.

There's only a few Liberos that I think developed well during JE's tenure: Heather Kisner, Sarah Palmer... maybe Alyson Jennings, Nicole Dalton, and Cat McCoy.

But the most impactful Liberos have been transfers: Morgan O'Brien and Zoe Fleck.

Emma Halter seems like a promising Libero, but so did Nalani Iosia her freshman year. I will say Emma has better ball control and hustle at this point so I am hopeful. 

I hope JE continues to realize the importance of these players and if he can't develop them, then get them via the transfer portal!

Edited by TexasDPT
  • Hook 'Em 1

I’m a third generation Longhorn and have ben going to Longhorn football basketball and baseball games since I was born. Bringing my daughters that play high school and club volleyball to our first match at Gregory in a few weeks.  Anything we need to know so we don’t miss out on our first match?    We have been watching the team for years on tv and the girls are very excited.   I already have good seats in Sec 1 behind the benches.  

Logan named Big 12 POW and AVCA National POW

Individual Weekly Stats
SP: 7
K/S: 5.43
Hitting %: .289
D/S: 1.86
P/S: 6.4

Team Recap
8/31: vs. No. 4 Minnesota, W 3-1
9/3: at No. 12 Stanford, W 3-0

Head Coach: Jerritt Elliott
AVCA Ranking Last Week: 1

Eggleston earns the National Player of the Week honor after leading No. 1 Longhorns to impressive wins over No. 4 Minnesota and No. 12 Stanford. In the two matches, she totaled 38 kills and had 13 digs. She also added four aces vs. Minnesota. This is the third time in her career she’s earned AVCA National Player of the Week honors.

3 hours ago, Chicken fried bacon said:

I’m a third generation Longhorn and have ben going to Longhorn football basketball and baseball games since I was born. Bringing my daughters that play high school and club volleyball to our first match at Gregory in a few weeks.  Anything we need to know so we don’t miss out on our first match?    We have been watching the team for years on tv and the girls are very excited.   I already have good seats in Sec 1 behind the benches.  

It's ready made once you're at Gregory. Check to see if the AD has planned pregame activities on the Speedway, if so you might want to arrive early and enjoy. Plan where you'll park, the walk from Speedway Garage is not all bad. If you park at coop then you can donate to the shop and walk them past the tower instead. Be safe, have fun. Hook'em!

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Js1 said:

Yeah, I didn't want to "insult" Sarah Palmer, but I didn't get to see her play much and couldn't name any other DS types on that team right now.

Certainly in the LHN era, where I have been able to watch religiously.  Morgan O'Brien (sp?) was only one gal.

Edited by TwiceHorn

9 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I wonder how many matches Texas is going to do this where they start the bench? 

I get you’re trying to keep players happy and engaged but prefer to just see the starters dominate and then bring in the backups. 

I agree in principal, but in the age of the transfer portal, games where you have a 100% chance of winning its best to give your reserves playtime so they are less likely to transfer. 

• Hook 'Em 2