2022 Tour de Francis

Knoxtnhorn

Dang.  Started the thread and haven't been able to read because I'm always a day behind.  

There's been some hits and some misses this year.  The stage in which Pogacar lost the lead was pretty cool.  There's more Americans than normal.  Sucks they haven't done much considering how often one is in the break.

On 7/13/2022 at 3:18 PM, Hornius Emeritus said:

Holy Crap ... that is some totally on-point soothsaying.  Do you have any stocks you can recommend?

I wish predicting cycling stages translated over to stocks, even at that I’m usually wrong LOL.  For stocks, I recommend Daniel Figurelli.  He gives a lot of free advice online ;)

Here’s my latest take.  Losing Kruijswijk today could be the one thing that dooms Jonas.  Pogacar already figured out that Roglic attacks were a trick, he wasn’t going to worry about Roglic anymore.  But without Krujswijk and having Benoot crash hard basically drags Jumbo down to UAE’s level.  It’s 6 on 6 starting on Tuesday….2 days after Jonas and Benoot crashed……in crashes where 2 days afterwards is when you feel the worst.  

On top of that, Pogacar is a clever bastard and he figured out that he could just follow Van Aert’s wheel early in each stage and use that to stress the rest of the Jumbo team.  He’s not going to win doing that, but he’s able to use VWA to help burn his own team’s matches.  The whole tour I’ve questioned Jumbo for letting WVA have too much freedom.  Now Pogacar is using WVA to exploit JV and they don’t even seem to notice.

Looks like Pogacar has this set up very well for stage 16-18.  The only question is whether or not he can ride Jonas off the wheel.  I say it’s 50/50 since these climbs are shorter and steeper.  I think Jonas looks scared and Pogacar has some serious fucking swagger.  Can’t wait to watch and see if Pog can pull the comeback!

Edited by Horn Dogg

16 hours ago, Whitewater Horn said:

It sucks that Alaphilippe’s horrible crash in LBL kept him out of this Tour.  It would have been fun to see how he would have animated and impacted the race. 

I think he would have tried to win in the first week, but WVA would have kept it from happening.

On 7/14/2022 at 9:15 AM, G650 said:

I guess. These are like the most pointless attacks I may have ever witnessed.

Oh and fuck Tom Pidcocks cunt ass

That was about the best descending I’ve ever seen.  Better get used to Pidcock, he’s going to be on TV for many years to come.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, G650 said:

Don't remind me.

What’s wrong with Pidcock?  He hasn’t been around long enough to make everybody hate him LOL!  I have him on my fantasy team and the other guys in my league hated him on Alpe d’Huez day, but even then they enjoyed watching his ride.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Horn Dogg said:

He hasn’t been around long enough to make everybody hate him LOL!

He's been around for quite awhile in CX. He's an arrogant tit with a terrible chav accent. And he chose Ineos for his road team. I mean I'm not going out of my way to think about the dude or wish him doom and unmitigated failure or anything. But I'm definitely Team Booooooo Pidcock.

2 hours ago, Litig8r said:

Unless something blows up in the Pyrnees looks like like it will come down to the stage 20 TT.  Vingegaard lost 8 seconds on the first TT to TP.  This one is three times as long.  

Pog has to get closer, I don’t think he can close the gap in the TT.  I’ll bet Pog is going to start hitting hard tomorrow, can’t wait to see it!

• Like 1

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think that Pogacar is or UAE* are that good tactically when needing to come from behind in the race. They didn't have to against contenders in 2021 and 2020 was stay close to Roglic until the last ITT and take it there. What I'm seeing here is a lot of what @G650 noted earlier "pointless attacks."

* I will also note UAE getting cut down isn't helping. Two COVID cases before and today Soler missed the time limit. This can't help tactically either.

5 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think that Pogacar is or UAE* are that good tactically when needing to come from behind in the race. They didn't have to against contenders in 2021 and 2020 was stay close to Roglic until the last ITT and take it there. What I'm seeing here is a lot of what @G650 noted earlier "pointless attacks."

* I will also note UAE getting cut down isn't helping. Two COVID cases before and today Soler missed the time limit. This can't help tactically either.

They seem pretty poorly managed to me.  A good DS would have held Pog under wraps until stage 11-12 and saved his (and the team’s energy).  Jumbo seems to make silly decisions along those lines as well (ie - letting WVA sprint for yesterdays finish).  Ineos seems to be doing everything right, they just don’t have the right lead rider to win the race this year.

3 minutes ago, G650 said:

I mean seriously, what is the point of attacking right before the summit.

I don't get it RIGHT before the summit. If he could gap him about 1-2 km from the top and gap him sure, but not there.

To use a Phil term that burns one of his matches and would be better used on that final climb.