2022 Tour de Francis

Knoxtnhorn

4 minutes ago, Whitewater Horn said:

Like he’s on a training ride or going for a Strava KOM. 

He has it actually lol. He's the only one that reconn'ed it.

I think Woods at a minimum will get KOM today though.

1 minute ago, G650 said:

Jonas just doesn't have that kick like Pog

That’s  the biggest difference in their respective abilities, IMO. That went down down pretty much as I expected. Shorter climbs like that where  Pog can make those attacks suit him well. Jonas benefited last year from a more protracted climb at higher altitude and having the relentless tag team attacks from himself, Roglic, and G when Pog was isolated. Hopefully this race stays close in the Alps. Pog is such a beast. 

1 hour ago, Whitewater Horn said:

What an incredible piece of art.  I figured he would have something on the bike referencing his granddad and the 1964 Tour.  

Also, I’m more than a little surprised that the peloton is going let the break go all the way. Finishing on the Puy-de-Dome is such a rare event that gives someone the opportunity to add something truly special to their palmares. I thought for sure one of the GC favorites, or even someone like an Alaphilippe or WVA, would be very determined to win the stage today. 

Today was a staring match between Jumbo and UAE.  Neither one wanted to repeat the mistakes they made in stage 5-6.

Dammit.  4th place?  I was on the edge of my seat until I saw that Jorgenson was going to get caught.  Lame.

Did anyone catch the world feed (early enough) to see the Dutch biker (can't recall his name) go off on a spectator?  Some guy had a pole with several jerseys overhanging the road.  It happened to snap right as the peloton went by, got caught in a chain, took the biker out.  It was funny seeing him go off.  Right as it happened his, presumed wife, turned and started bitching at him too.

33 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Dammit.  4th place?  I was on the edge of my seat until I saw that Jorgenson was going to get caught.  Lame.

Did anyone catch the world feed (early enough) to see the Dutch biker (can't recall his name) go off on a spectator?  Some guy had a pole with several jerseys overhanging the road.  It happened to snap right as the peloton went by, got caught in a chain, took the biker out.  It was funny seeing him go off.  Right as it happened his, presumed wife, turned and started bitching at him too.

French, Lillian Calmejane

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Thx @G650

For those watching on Peacock .. Is there a way to watch a stage from the start while it's still live?  I tuned in at the very end of stage 8 but was unable to start over or even rewind.

I haven't tried it, and the info is dated and wrestling related, but you may be able to rewind to the beginning, or close to it.  I've been watching the replays only.

• Like 1

Thx [mention=285]G650[/mention]
For those watching on Peacock .. Is there a way to watch a stage from the start while it's still live?  I tuned in at the very end of stage 8 but was unable to start over or even rewind.

It will rewind from when you start watching. I turn it on when it starts then walk the dogs and stuff then rewind to where I left off.
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Video of this. Whatever dumbass fan this is needs to be taken out back and beat with a stick.

A couple of weeks ago one of my friends said that he hates this time of year because there's "we're in the dog days. There's nothing going on in the world of sports and I have to end up talking to my wife."   I replied "what about the Tour de France? It's just about to get started."  And he said something like "nancy boys in cycling clothes? No way."  I just shut up and smiled inwardly.  That's right, motherfucker ... while you're cursing the dog days of summer and bemoaning the lack of sports on TV I've got the motherfucking Tour de France to look forward to almost every day in July.  It's a great way to pass the time until the Horns get going next month.  

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, EastHorn said:

Fans at the base of the climb going crazy.  Steep climb at the end with no fans.  What a day.  

Did they change this to avoid the mass at the top? Feels like in previous years it was littered with fans all along the climb. 

27 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

A couple of weeks ago one of my friends said that he hates this time of year because there's "we're in the dog days. There's nothing going on in the world of sports and I have to end up talking to my wife."   I replied "what about the Tour de France? It's just about to get started."  And he said something like "nancy boys in cycling clothes? No way."  I just shut up and smiled inwardly.  That's right, motherfucker ... while you're cursing the dog days of summer and bemoaning the lack of sports on TV I've got the motherfucking Tour de France to look forward to almost every day in July.  It's a great way to pass the time until the Horns get going next month.  

I'm so glad mdleast bugged me to start watching this about 5 years ago. It really does help pass the dog days. I just pop it on in my office while I work and it's great. 

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

Did they change this to avoid the mass at the top? Feels like in previous years it was littered with fans all along the climb. 

I'm so glad mdleast bugged me to start watching this about 5 years ago. It really does help pass the dog days. I just pop it on in my office while I work and it's great. 

The top is so narrow no one is allowed up there. Even the team cars. They built a tramway up there and narrowed the road.  It's the reason the race hasn't been there since 88. I was surprised they pulled it off again tbh.

If you think the Tour is good you should watch the rest of the calender. Classics, Giro, so many great races.

21 minutes ago, G650 said:

The top is so narrow no one is allowed up there. Even the team cars. They built a tramway up there and narrowed the road.  It's the reason the race hasn't been there since 88. I was surprised they pulled it off again tbh.

If you think the Tour is good you should watch the rest of the calender. Classics, Giro, so many great races.

What ending am I think of then where the crowd is on both sides almost touching the riders as they go up? 

I'm a little disappointed they're not going through Alpe D'Huez this year.  Maybe that's the climb I'm thinking of. I'll admit I'm a neophyte on all this. Just a passenger but I love the ride. 

42 minutes ago, mdmost said:

What ending am I think of then where the crowd is on both sides almost touching the riders as they go up? 

I'm a little disappointed they're not going through Alpe D'Huez this year.  Maybe that's the climb I'm thinking of. I'll admit I'm a neophyte on all this. Just a passenger but I love the ride. 

Tourmalet, Galibier, Madeleine, Ventoux  basically all of them.   This last stage was pretty unique.  I know the French on some stages stop vehicles and bikes from going up for a period of time before the race to reduce crowds and traffic to some mountain passes, but people usually go up early and camp.  It was weird seeing them ride a beautiful desolate road.

Chris-Froome-Bauke-Mollema-Richie-Porte-Mont Ventoux 2016

Edited by locodos

3 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

high quality GIF

3 hours ago, G650 said:

Not to mention MVDP and Wout van Aert along with Tom Pidcock racing cyclocross in the winter as clear favorites. 

Perfect profile for either MVDP or Wout as they are neither pure climbers or sprinters.  I just don't get trying to make the move late.  I get that smaller teams won't work with them if they get in the early stuff and just let the deck reshuffle.  

On 7/10/2023 at 11:33 AM, G650 said:

I follow all of them.  The Vuelta always has the most fun racing in my opinion.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2023 at 9:16 AM, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Video of this. Whatever dumbass fan this is needs to be taken out back and beat with a stick.

He should have gone full Superman Lopez on the fan (punching in second half of video)

Or the give him the Hinault.  This was badass because the best rider in the race was ready to throw down with the protester.

Edited by Horn Dogg
  • Hook 'Em 1