2022 Tour de Francis

Knoxtnhorn

1 minute ago, TexPx said:

That’s what I thought at the time, but maybe he should have gone earlier.

He wasn't going to attack Wout and Vinego, and he had no idea about Vinego's form.   He let Vinego pull him a bit, saw weakness and went.  Well played

2 hours ago, G650 said:

He is world class TT, Belgian champ. His problem is he is too heavy for consistency in the high mountains though. A day here or there no problem, but not over a tour. It's a different kind of climbing.

Mildly reminiscent of my favorite rider--Thor Hushovd. World-class sprinter, decent time-trialist, and a surprisingly good climber for a "Clydesdale" competing at 174-180 lbs. Occasionally would snipe a mountain stage, although doing so meant he'd ride like a potato for the next few stages. Just an all-around great cyclist, unlike that one-trick** lump of shit Cavendish, who never could do anything on his own.

** And what a trick it is! But he's still a lump of shit, demanding to be dragged over any distance, never making a move for himself (including Olympic track racing), and always throwing his teammates under the bus whenever losing to someone else because they didn't lead him out correctly.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Mildly reminiscent of my favorite rider--Thor Hushovd. World-class sprinter, decent time-trialist, and a surprisingly good climber for a "Clydesdale" competing at 174-180 lbs. Occasionally would snipe a mountain stage, although doing so meant he'd ride like a potato for the next few stages.

He rides just like me!

• Haha 2

He wasn't going to attack Wout and Vinego, and he had no idea about Vinego's form.   He let Vinego pull him a bit, saw weakness and went.  Well played

No he wasn’t. But if he attacked as soon as Wout dropped out he MIGHT have been able to put more time onJV. He went from +7 seconds to +13 to + 20 so JV didn’t have the legs today. But, who knows?

1 minute ago, TexPx said:

No he wasn’t. But if he attacked as soon as Wout dropped out he MIGHT have been able to put more time onJV. He went from +7 seconds to +13 to + 20 so JV didn’t have the legs today. But, who knows?

I'm a casual fan, Bob or Christian was saying that Vinego was better on the steep than Pogacar.  I think Wout pulled off right at the start of the steepest section.  I'm guessing the Pogacar was glad to see Vinego not just accelerate off, waited until the grade calmed and attacked when Vinego couldn't.  It's all assumption on my part though based on the commentary not personal knowledge.

I mean, he does it to himself. I think Pog is absolutely a stronger bike rider than Vingegaard full stop. But he goes ham in the spring, and has an idiotic team. This year managed to break his wrist in a wreck and lose several weeks of training.

I really love him as a racer but he can be incredibly frustrating sometimes.

17 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

A great two days of racing.  Nothing decided other than the two favorites are still the two favorites.  

And we get Puy de Dome this Sunday. First time since I was a kid!

1 hour ago, G650 said:

I mean, he does it to himself. I think Pog is absolutely a stronger bike rider than Vingegaard full stop. But he goes ham in the spring, and has an idiotic team. This year managed to break his wrist in a wreck and lose several weeks of training.

I really love him as a racer but he can be incredibly frustrating sometimes.

Guys actually trying to collect a diverse palmares should be celebrated. 

The world needs less of the Froomebots whose sole annual mission it is to take home just the yellow jersey. 

And thank god too because those Sky/Froome years were my least favorite watching the tour

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, 52-80 said:
1 hour ago, G650 said:

Guys actually trying to collect a diverse palmares should be celebrated. 

I'm all for it. He can probably win all the GTs and Monuments before he is do e. But he is paying the piper right now.

I'm a fan of Pog, on several levels. I just also think he can be an idiot.

• Hook 'Em 1

Carlton Kirby is such a fucking tit.

53 minutes ago, tx ind said:

Pretty sure we were all idiots at 24 years old, but agree he tries to race too hard sometimes and can come back to bite him.

I'm basically 100% sure I was a much bigger idiot at 24 than Pog.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

Great to see that Cav still has some power. Not sure if he'll be able to get that next stage win, especially against Jasper, but it's definitely possible.

His top end speed looked pretty good, just gotta get the timing right. Unfortunately he doesn't have the team that Jasper does.

11 minutes ago, tx ind said:

Cav abandoned.

Such a crying shame

3 hours ago, EastHorn said:

You know we could do surly style road trip to the tour. 

That was the other part of my France 2020 trip that got canned, seeing Le Tour

5 minutes ago, G650 said:

That was the other part of my France 2020 trip that got canned, seeing Le Tour

Been meaning to go, but never sit down to figure it out ahead of time.  Been close a few times, I was on the other side of the Alps and thought of renting a car to just see some random stage.  But I think it's the sort of thing best enjoyed with some prior planning. (obviously)

1 hour ago, locodos said:

Been meaning to go, but never sit down to figure it out ahead of time.  Been close a few times, I was on the other side of the Alps and thought of renting a car to just see some random stage.  But I think it's the sort of thing best enjoyed with some prior planning. (obviously)

These days you definitely want to do your best to at least preplan travel, transportation, and lodging. When I lived over there between ‘89-‘94, we did some planning, but were able to get away with improvising much of our itinerary and lodging/camping. It wasn’t uncommon to make friends along the way who would put us for a night or two. When I started going back over on occasion starting in 2001, I plan as much as I can as far in advance as I can. I’m eyeing a return in 2025 when my teenage kids will be young adults and can really appreciate Europe. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Cav’s a guy I love to hate. As much as a butthead that he is (literally) I might have wanted to see him at least challenge for 35. Hell of a career though. 

My annual plug for https://pyreneescyclinglodge.com. Stayed here a few times - lovely view across the valley of Hautacam. Ride to Hautacam, Aubisque/Solour out the door, with Luz Ardiden and the Tournalet near. It’s many of the less known climbs that really shine though - Cirque de Gavarnie and Troumouse come to mind. Wake to the sound of church bells and the bells around the sheep grazing on the hills. My favorite area by far. 

Edited by Txzen
  • Hook 'Em 1

SIAP

so I’ve been busting my ass today installing hardwood floors, I missed today’s stage. I was looking up the results on the official site and stumbled on this:

https://www.letour.fr/en/arrivee-tour-de-france-2024

TL;DR - the 2024 race won’t end in Paris but Nice! And it ends with an ITT (Monaco to Nice). About damn time. 

5 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

SIAP

so I’ve been busting my ass today installing hardwood floors, I missed today’s stage. I was looking up the results on the official site and stumbled on this:

TL;DR - the 2024 race won’t end in Paris but Nice! And it ends with an ITT (Monaco to Nice). About damn time. 

Sounds like Surly Le Tour road trip needs to be next year

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

SIAP

Only because of the Olympics, they'll go back to the Champs.

20 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

Great to see that Cav still has some power. Not sure if he'll be able to get that next stage win, especially against Jasper, but it's definitely possible.

Good work.  Now do OU, Bama, Aggy...hell, just do the whole SEC.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, G650 said:

Sounds like Surly Le Tour road trip needs to be next year

image.thumb.jpeg.80270a6a7105a3780de5addc9dae2ec5.jpeg

I love it when the Tour goes through the Massif Central, especially the Chaines des Puys area. Anytime the Puy-de-Dome is involved, I will always think of Eddy Merckx being fucking assaulted by a spectator on that climb. I think about that quite a bit when the riders have to climb through the insane throngs of fanatical and inebriated fans on narrow mountain roads.  Hope it’s an exciting stage with minimal roadside jackassery. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Whitewater Horn said:

image.thumb.jpeg.80270a6a7105a3780de5addc9dae2ec5.jpeg

I love it when the Tour goes through the Massif Central, especially the Chaines des Puys area. Anytime the Puy-de-Dome is involved, I will always think of Eddy Merckx being fucking assaulted by a spectator on that climb. I think about that quite a bit when the riders have to climb through the insane throngs of fanatical and inebriated fans on narrow mountain roads.  Hope it’s an exciting stage with minimal roadside jackassery. 

Man, my first inclination was the Merckx punch was up there, but I usually think Anquetil vs Poulidour, but then I thought of Ocanas blazing TT, then Bahomontes. And now I'm like the Puy is the best hit rate on classic stages ever.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, G650 said:

Man, my first inclination was the Merckx punch was up there, but I usually think Anquetil vs Poulidour, but then I thought of Ocanas blazing TT, then Bahomontes. And now I'm like the Puy is the best hit rate on classic stages ever.

Absolutely. Some of the most intriguing Tour moments outside of the high mountains have gone down on the Puy. Always a must see live stage for me. The non cycling people in my life have already been notified that I will be unreachable until after noon. LFG. 

2 hours ago, G650 said:

What an incredible piece of art.  I figured he would have something on the bike referencing his granddad and the 1964 Tour.  

Also, I’m more than a little surprised that the peloton is going let the break go all the way. Finishing on the Puy-de-Dome is such a rare event that gives someone the opportunity to add something truly special to their palmares. I thought for sure one of the GC favorites, or even someone like an Alaphilippe or WVA, would be very determined to win the stage today. 

18 minutes ago, Whitewater Horn said:

What an incredible piece of art.  I figured he would have something on the bike referencing his granddad and the 1964 Tour.  

Also, I’m more than a little surprised that the peloton is going let the break go all the way. Finishing on the Puy-de-Dome is such a rare event that gives someone the opportunity to add something truly special to their palmares. I thought for sure one of the GC favorites, or even someone like an Alaphilippe or WVA, would be very determined to win the stage today. 

I think that Wout was planning on it, but then Jumbo and UAE realized they let people like Bernal in the break somehow so they had to peg it back.