Trivia/History thread

Beau Vine

Toronto has had some rough seasons during their relatively short existence.  Before they almost knocked off the Royals in the ALCS in '85, they were dead last or second to last every season of their existence.  So I'm quite certain they lost 100 games, probably multiple times. 

I am as guilty as anyone on this thread of not phrasing questions correctly but I'd like to think it's not some trick where we're talking about a team that relocated or got a new name or got rebooted after the original franchise left the city.  But if you think about the 16 teams era that have been in the MLB for 130 years, there's no way all of them didn't drop 100 games along the way.  The sheer odds of it.  And if it's not some trick where it's like the Seattle Pilots/Mariners or some shit.  And we know the Rockies are out, and I know the D-Backs are out.  It's gotta be some 60s/70s expansion team then because they haven't played nearly as many seasons.    

So it's gotta be Twins, Padres, or Angels.  Which I know violates the etiquette of a single answer.  

Are you guys this stupid? What’s the only pro sports franchise that embodies excellence, class, and success year in and year out, even in “down” years? 

*The Highlander years do not count. Different team name, stadium, and it was over 110 years ago. So not the same franchise.

4 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Wait so what's the fucking answer then, the Angles?  Or some bullshit Yankee loophole?  Goddamn Costanza cooking the books again?  

It’s both. The Yankees have never had a 100 loss season in their 111 year history. The Highlanders had 2 but that was before becoming the Yankees franchise.

26 minutes ago, Helobious said:

It’s both. The Yankees have never had a 100 loss season in their 111 year history. The Highlanders had 2 but that was before becoming the Yankees franchise.

Did Cleveland become a different franchise when they changed from the Indians to the Guardians?

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Hmm. So I took it for granted that a “team” and a “franchise” was 2 different things. I thought it was the same team just under a different franchise once a name is changed or location is moved. Turns out they’re one and the same.

Last 100 loss season:

• COL 2023
  • CWS 2023
  • KC 2023
  • OAK 2023
  • CIN 2022
  • PIT 2022
  • WAS 2022
  • ARI 2021
  • BAL 2021
  • TEX 2021
  • DET 2019
  • MIA 2019
  • MIN 2016
  • HOU 2013
  • CHC 2012
  • SEA 2010
  • TB 2006
  • MIL 2002
  • NYM 1993
  • SD 1993
  • CLE 1991 (Indians)
  • ATL 1988
  • SF 1985 (only)
  • TOR 1979
  • BOS 1965
  • PHI 1961
  • NYY 1912 (New York Highlanders)
  • LAD 1908 (Brooklyn Superbas)
  • STL 1908
  • LAA never

Try the inverse of that:  Of the current 30 MLB teams, how many of them have NOT had a 100 win season in their history?  

Answer in spoiler:

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

The seven franchises are the Toronto Blue Jays, Texas Rangers, Miami Marlins, Washington Nationals, Milwaukee Brewers, San Diego Padres, and the Colorado Rockies.

Edited by Dutchrudder
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Scraps said:
22 hours ago, dcar00 said:
who is the only player in history to win 20 games and bat .400+ in a season?

Is this some interleague bullshit where it was an AL guy who had like 1 interleague start?

nope played for one team whole season.  to help.  pre 1950 and he was a starter.

Also, post 1900 so not some 1887 dude or something like that.  

Edited by dcar00
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

nope played for one team whole season.  to help.  pre 1950 and he was a starter.

Also, post 1900 so not some 1887 dude or something like that.  

So it wasn't Tungsten Arm O'Doyle?

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Bullshit stat. There’s no MLB pitcher ever that is officially credited with a .400 batting average for a season. So it was someone that did it in a handful of at bats.

Edited by Helobious

Well yeah, no pitcher in any era was gonna have qualifying at bats no matter how often he played.  350 PA's or whatever the fuck the number was back then.  

But yeah, to win 20 games...figure he started ~40 games or so as was the norm in the pre-war era.  The trick is how did he hit .400 given that much time on the mound?  That had to be enough to go for at least 100-150 at-bats.  To hit .400 given that charge is something else.  This one's gonna be another bitch.  Not gonna look it up but I gotta think on it. 

Walter Johnson?  I seem to remember that he was a good hitter.

I thought the obvious might have been Babe Ruth but he never hit .400 before or after giving up hitting.

Yeah, my first guess would be when Ruth was still a duel-threat, but he never hit .400 IIRC.  It's gotta be Walter Johnson.  

I know it wasn't exactly a  lively era for the ball, but think about this with regard to Walter Johnson.  Threw almost 6000 innings.  Gave up less than 100 HR's.  Absolutely insane.  

12 hours ago, Helobious said:

Bullshit stat. There’s no MLB pitcher ever that is officially credited with a .400 batting average for a season. So it was someone that did it in a handful of at bats.

of course a pitcher would never qualify for batting title.   what are you talking about?  It is still incredible for a starting pitcher to hit .400. and it wasn't a "handful of AB's".

He’s a Yankees fan, he doesn’t understand the game.  Nor the rules.  Not really much of anything actually.  

I’ll toss out an easy one to start your workweek.  Who has played for the most franchises in a career?   

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

According to the Society for American Baseball Research, from June 5, 1982, to September 14, 1987, Cal Ripken Jr. played 8,264 consecutive innings, which is believed to be a record, although not one that is officially kept by MLB.

Who replaced him to break the streak?

Answer in here:

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...