Trivia/History thread

Beau Vine

34 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Just guessing that it was one of those years when Granderson hit more triples than anyone had hit in something like 80 years?

Grandyman hit 23 triples 58 years after Dale Mitchell did in 1949 prior to Dale it was 1930 when Adam Comorosky hit that number everyone else in the 23 and up club was 1927 and before.

Yeah, when you take into account that era.  Helps when you have like 170 singles, 50 doubles, and 20 triples.  What a beast.  

Slugged .514 with just one bomb.  Slugged .620 with just 8 HR's.  

Just trying to give Willie Wilson some credit since I said some mean things about him during his time with the Royals.  

Without looking...after the United States and the Dominican Republic...what nation has produced the next most MLB players?  

7 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Yeah, when you take into account that era.  Helps when you have like 170 singles, 50 doubles, and 20 triples.  What a beast.  

Slugged .514 with just one bomb.  Slugged .620 with just 8 HR's.  

Just trying to give Willie Wilson some credit since I said some mean things about him during his time with the Royals.  

Without looking...after the United States and the Dominican Republic...what nation has produced the next most MLB players?  

Venezuela.  

And if you want a modern era 400+SLG guy, try Carew, or even Arraez currently. 

He converted?

Yes on Venezuela.  Most people say Mexico or Canada.  

Who's the career journeyman legend who not only hit safely for different teams in the same time, but he also played all 8 fielding positions (except pitcher) over the course of his career?  

8 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

And if you want a modern era 400+SLG guy, try Carew, or even Arraez currently. 

I hope he gets hot and up to within striking distance of .400 at the ASB.  He's at 10 Ks on the season, which is Tony Gwynn like when you consider the era.

4 hours ago, Scraps said:

Miggy

Not from 2010 on.

4 hours ago, Scraps said:

Lmao

Edwin Encarnacion counts I guess

Yeah, that's 3.

I found the 4th one by looking up a bunch of guys on baseball reference and I had to go through a lot of possibles before I got to

Spoiler

Adam Jones

9 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

I know the answer to this and it still blows my mind.

I'm assuming it's a very small number of people. I can only think of Frank Thomas. 

But it shouldn't be that surprising. The SEC was not that good at baseball for a very long time. For decades the Pac-10 was the best conference in college baseball and the west coast overall, even their minor conferences, were better than the SEC overall. At that time the NCAA would seed the tournament regionally and absolutely screw the west coast teams by making them travel when they were the better teams. I wrote articles back in the day pointing out that you could make money every year in the NCAA baseball tournament by just betting the moneyline on the team whose campus was located further west. 

Now that the SEC is good at baseball suddenly being the better team is more important.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

I'm assuming it's a very small number of people. I can only think of Frank Thomas. 

This is correct.  Joe Sewell is a HoFer who went from the Alabama campus nearly straight to the majors in 1920 to replace the deceased Ray Chapman, but Bama was not in the SEC at the time.  

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 5/30/2023 at 12:12 PM, YGIFS said:

H

Who's the career journeyman legend who not only hit safely for different teams in the same time, but he also played all 8 fielding positions (except pitcher) over the course of his career?  

what does this mean?

I meant same day.  Several players have played for two teams on the same day.  This guy hit safely in both, including the nightcap off HOF Steve Carlton.  Went on to play all 8 positions over his career, other than pitcher.  An interesting resume that nobody will ever replicate is all.  I sleep for shit now and don't type so good.

8 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I meant same day.  Several players have played for two teams on the same day.  This guy hit safely in both, including the nightcap off HOF Steve Carlton.  Went on to play all 8 positions over his career, other than pitcher.  An interesting resume that nobody will ever replicate is all.  I sleep for shit now and don't type so good.

Joel Youngblood got hits for 2 teams in the same day but I have no idea if he played all 8 positions in his career.

A lot of people know Bert Campaneris played all 9 positions in the same game first(others have done it since) but what did he do in that game that others haven't?

Edit same day, not same game.

Edited by dcar00

Yep, it was Youngblood.  He gets two hits for two teams in the same day (one off Carlton).  And over his career plays all 8 positions that aren't pitcher.  Kind of a cool outlier.  

Easy one here:  The all-time single season WINS by pitcher was born 149 years ago.  He recorded 14 straight wins for New York.  Who would later match that record nearly a century later?  

2 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Yep, it was Youngblood.  He gets two hits for two teams in the same day (one off Carlton).  And over his career plays all 8 positions that aren't pitcher.  Kind of a cool outlier.  

Easy one here:  The all-time single season WINS by pitcher was born 149 years ago.  He recorded 14 straight wins for New York.  Who would later match that record nearly a century later?  

Hoss Radbourn has the record for wins in a season at 60 I know that but I don't know who he played for.

are you saying 14 straight wins is the most for a pitcher?

Willie Mays holds the record for most triples in a season by a right-handed batter since WWII with 20 in 1957. There is a tie for second place with 19, and both did it in the same season (I keep finding triples season coincidences).

Name the year and batters.

24 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Willie Mays holds the record for most triples in a season by a right-handed batter since WWII with 20 in 1957. There is a tie for second place with 19, and both did it in the same season (I keep finding triples season coincidences).

Name the year and batters.

One has to be Sandberg in that MVP year.

14 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Carl Hubbell

Hubbell won 24 in a row but I'm still confused by YGIFS question.  Radbourn didn't play for NY in 1884 and Hubbell did that in the 30's.

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Correct, Ryne Sandberg is one and it was 1984. Just seeing that year written out might give away the other for us older guys. 

the second one is pretty tough.  kept looking up guys but they were mostly switch hitters and didn't get to 19.  not a HOFer either.

how do you hit that many triples playing in wrigley.

it is amazing how few triples Henderson had.  probably stopped at 2nd so he could steal 3rd.

IIRC, Hubbell's 24 was across two seasons.  

But yeah, I never fucking know what Lobo is trying to say because he seems to try to use as many words as possible.  Old Hoss played for Providence, not "NY," and the "born 149 years ago"????  WTF knows.  149 years ago was 1874, 20 years after he was born, and it's doubtful that any long-standing record was set then because I don't think anyone even has reliable data from 1874.  

Gonna put him on Ignore.

Edited by Beau Vine

6 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

the second one is pretty tough.  kept looking up guys but they were mostly switch hitters and didn't get to 19.  not a HOFer either.

I think I know this because when I was a freshman in 1985, the guy across the hall had a computerized Strat-O-Matic game we'd play that had 1984 data.  

Did the guy have a first name for both his first and last name?

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Yes he did. He's one of those players you forgot about but when you hear his name again (like I did here) you think "yeah he was fun to watch." Not that he was a great overall player but he was exciting.

And he was a guy who was incredibly overrated because he never walked, but put up great counting stats because he played every game.

51 minutes ago, WBT said:

Yeah, Samuel was a fun player.  Damn, he also had 701 ABs and 72 steals in 1984.  And led the NL in Ks every year from 84-87.

Probably the worst defensive 2B I've ever seen, which was also fun.  He was worse than Soriano.

• Hook 'Em 1

• Beau Vine changed the title to Trivia/History thread