Welcome to Wrexham

ztejas

Potential big day for Wrexham. Today's matches:

Wrexham-Forest Green

Stockport-Morecambe

MK Dons-Mansfield Town

Wrexham will be on the verge of promotion with a win alone. Combined with any Mansfield Town result will effectively get the job done. They would still be dormie with Barrow on points, but the GD would be a hard one to overcome. And if Barrow drops any points, the job is done.

Also root for Morecambe - Wrexham needs Stockport to drop points to have a shot to nab the title.

Posted (edited)

30' for most games

Wrexham 2
Forest Green 0

Stockport 1
Morecambe 0

MK Dons 1
Mansfield Town 1
(Mansfield literally just tied this up)

Gillingham 0
Barrow 0
Key thing here is that Barrow is down a man after a straight red on a defender

EDIT

Wrexham 3
Forest Green 0
Forest Green just added an OG for Wrexham

Edited by Captain Ron

Posted (edited)

With games at the half

Wrexham 4
Forest Green 0
This game is over and Wrexham will get all the points

Stockport 2
Morecambe 0
That just might do it here

MK Dons 1
Mansfield Town 1

Gillingham 1
Barrow 0
Gillingham scored in first half stoppage time (there was 12'!!!), Barrow has quite the hill to climb now.

Edited by Captain Ron

Yeah, especially with the new updates:

Gillingham 3
Barrow 0

MK Dons 1
Mansfield Town 2

Wrexham is up 5-0 as well now

The only teams that potentially could catch Wrexham with a win and 82 points were MK Dons and Barrow, but they both needed to win out. With them both dropping points, promotion is assured.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ted Lange said:

So I assume (hope) TV options for League 1 are better than what we got this season

Pretty much the exact same, though you could hope that ESPN+ picks up a few more matches. 

From the National League to being in the same division as Wigan, Reading, Blackpool, Bolton (probably), Sheffield Wednesday (probably), Barnsley (probably), and Huddersfield (probably). What a ride!

Edited by SimonBolivar

38 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

At what level are the current stars, no longer viable regulars?  Championship?

I’d expect significant turnover.

For example, Mullin is turning 30 and has never played above League 2. He will almost certainly stick around but many will have to go.

1 hour ago, Ted Lange said:

At what level are the current stars, no longer viable regulars?  Championship?

27 minutes ago, The Dog said:

I’d expect significant turnover.

For example, Mullin is turning 30 and has never played above League 2. He will almost certainly stick around but many will have to go.

A lot of people have said this roster was League 1 level caliber already. I don't disagree this team needs some improvements, but I don't think this roster will have huge turmover, maybe a few key changes.

2004-05: 𝐑𝐞𝐥𝐞𝐠𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐝 from League One 2005-06: 13th in League Two 2006-07: 19th in League Two 2007-08: 𝐑𝐞𝐥𝐞𝐠𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐝 from League Two 2008-09: 10th in National League 2009-10: 11th in the National League 2010-11: 4th in the National League 2011-12: 2nd in the National League 2012-13: 5th in the National League 2013-14: 17th in the National League 2014-15: 11th in the National League 2015-16: 8th in the National League 2016-17: 13th in the National League 2017-18: 10th in the National League 2018-19: 4th in the National League 2019-20: 19th in the National League 2020-21: 8th in the National League 2021-22: 2nd in the National League 2022-23: 𝐏𝐫𝐨𝐦𝐨𝐭𝐞𝐝 to League Two 2023-24: 𝐏𝐫𝐨𝐦𝐨𝐭𝐞𝐝 to League One

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

It is definitely LOL, but honestly, presuming Wrexham do get promoted, and Rob and Ryan are willing to pay up, I imagine they are going to try to place some US names on the team.  Weston is too good, but if I am, say, Haji Wright, and they are willing to throw Championship money at me, I am listening.  

(this was in context of a reply where someone suggested McKinnie go to Wrexham if things don't work out at Juventus)

Putting this here since it's Wrexham-centric, but even Wright is likely out of their price range.

His current salary at Coventry would be tied for the highest in League 1 (slightly over 1 million pounds) and according to Transfermarkt his transfer fee estimate is 7 million euros. He may be angling for a shot in the Premier League with how well he's been playing. Same for Sargent (who might be in EPL regardless if Norwich manages to get promoted).

So even though Americans can be had at a discount I'm not sure that makes anyone who is USMNT first team eligible an option for them - at least as a permanent signing.

It would have to be a loan for a guy who needs playing time and could help Wrexham push for promotion if they are in a position to do so. Any permanent types would have to be someone young like Tanner Tessman (who is cheap) or maybe an older guy like Tim Ream now that he's in the twilight of his career but can still play at a high level (just not EPL starter quality).  

This just gets back to my point that although they may be good enough right now to avoid relegation back to EFL 2 without much change they are going to have to pay significantly more than they have in the past in order to challenge for promotion to the Championship in just one year. 

(ETA source for salary info: https://salarysport.com/football/)

Edited by The Dog

15 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Well they went ahead and won 3-0. Mansfield looked poised to drop points but scored at 77 and 80 to win.  

The final day to move to 2nd they need: 

A result better than Mansfield town (win-draw, win-loss, draw-loss)

or a win by 7 more goals than Mansfield Town wins by

Wrexham is playing champion Stockport

Mansfield Town is playing Barrow (jockeying for position in the playoff)