Welcome to Wrexham

ztejas

I don't question that a path to the EPL is there. I am curious to see how Wrexham can duplicate it. I think their path should be seen as a bit longer. I have a feeling that Wrexham sees promotion out of League 2 within 2-3 years. Beyond you have to capture some luck, find the right guys to climb the standings.

Next year's jerseys

BTW - I saw an awful piece up by Goal.com titled "Wrexham 2023-24 kit: New home, away and third jerseys, release dates & prices" And then provided none of the details. They didn't even do any sort of research beyond looking up what a Wrexham jersey currently costs. The basic gist is "Wrexham will have new jerseys in the future, their current jerseys cost £45". Really lame.

I have been interested in next year's jerseys after missing out in the 21-22 jersey. I've been hitting up Footy Headlines frequently seeing if any news was out. Since the end of the season it has been quiet. But it did get me thinking and I searched for past release dates (they have info going back as far as 2018). It appears that Wrexham the last few years has announced their primary and secondary jerseys around late June to mid July. I would assume that is when their next jersey is announced too. I can't speak to any potential leaks, that might happen with the interest that is being drummed up.

Clearly the #1 will be primarily red. The #2 is unknown. And the rumor on #3 is that it will primarily black.

• 1 month later...

Dropping in here to say that if you get a chance to see one of Wrexham's preseason games, you should jump on it and show up early.

They colonized the whole lawn around the UNC Belltower, had all kinds of games, a model of The Turf with free Aviation drinks (the owner gave an awestruck pitchside interview before the game), it was so impressive. Made Chelsea's pretty substantial Fan Zone feel small (although I did get to meet Gary Cahill).

20230719_185521.thumb.jpg.06fd64b3d4322d74c4fd02680d4082f6.jpg20230719_185009.thumb.jpg.81115e8a353136574318d59cc8cb3690.jpg20230719_185800.thumb.jpg.5d4ed06ec2d38590772e5c543761af81.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/38072610/wrexham-boss-fuming-united-keeper-mullin-injury

Wrexham manager Phil Parkinson has hit out at Manchester United goalkeeper Nathan Bishop after a challenge which left striker Paul Mullin in hospital.

Parkinson said he was "fuming" after Mullin suffered a punctured lung during Wrexham's 3-1 win over a United academy side at Snapdragon Stadium in California on Tuesday.

United not happy with Phil's comments

ESPN

Spoiler

Man United upset at Wrexham for goalkeeper jibe - sources

play

Wrexham boss criticises 'reckless challenge' that injured Paul Mullin (0:22)

Rob Dawson, Correspondent

Jul 26, 2023, 10:56 AM ET

Manchester United are unhappy with Phil Parkinson following comments made by the Wrexham manager about the challenge from goalkeeper Nathan Bishop which left Paul Mullin in hospital, sources have told ESPN.

Parkinson hit out at Bishop after the United goalkeeper charged out of his penalty area and collided with Mullin, leaving the Wrexham striker with a punctured lung.

- Stream on ESPN+: LaLiga, Bundesliga, more (U.S.)

He branded the challenge "reckless" and said he was "fuming" to lose his star forward for the start of the season.

Sources have told ESPN that United believe Parkinson's comments are irresponsible and have inflamed a situation which has already taken its toll on Bishop.

The 23-year-old was booed relentlessly by Wrexham fans after the incident and looked visibly shaken as he left the stadium. He was substituted at half-time, although United manager Travis Binnion insisted afterwards that was always the plan.

Paul Mullin suffered a punctured lung after a collision with Man United goalkeeper Nathan Bishop. Sean M. Haffey/Getty Images

Sources have told ESPN that United are concerned Parkinson has opened up Bishop to online abuse.

Bishop tweeted an apology to Mullin after the game and reached out to him directly via other Wrexham players.

He posted: "Just wanted to share my sincerest apologies to Paul Mullin.

"A complete misjudgement and a genuine accident with zero malicious intent at all! Wishing you the speediest recovery and hope to see you back scoring goals as soon as possible."

• 2 weeks later...

I think everyone’s expectations were skewed after they ran away with the NL last season.

MK Dons - the team that beat them in their first EFL2 game - were in EFL 1 last season and were relegated on the last day. 

Wrexham needs to improve their roster if they want to get to EFL1 next season.

I know I said a run to promotion is possible.

But that isn't very likely at at. Their realistic goal would be to finish top half of the table. Honestly 12th would be a great year for them. They have some talent to win in this league, but they don’t have a full roster that can do it with the consistency to win the league. 

Expectations should be very tempered right now. Especially with Mullen on the shelf for an extended period of time.

Promotion could happen, but they would need all the pieces to come together just right. And that hasn’t started well. 

Edited by Captain Ron
  • Hook 'Em 2

Wrexham up 3-1 in the 60th against Walsall.

I know the iFollow association with League Two covers the video broadcasts, but I didn't realize this also stopped the free online (via the Wrexham website) audio commentary from the *VERY* entertaining guys from previous years.  Very disappointed.  :(

• Hook 'Em 1