Tell me about Texas Tech

Longboard Horn

the bad news is there will probably be a lot of player transfers with a new coach because the players are not going to like playing for a guy that does not do ice cream socials and the pants off dance off even if they dicked off all practice and did stupid shit to lose the game the previous week

and this is on a team that already loses a shit toone of players to transfers when they realize they are playing for a guy that is more interested in crafting a personality Vs a winning team

Tech fans better be ready to see 10 or 12 guys leave the team pretty much immediately with a new coach if that coach gives a shit at all

along with that probably 3 or 4 more that have to be kicked off because they stop giving a shit and go "full duffy" because they just want to have fun their last year or two on the team and get accused of shit and arrested for shit and the new coach has to send them packing as well just to set a tone

MW record by year at USU:

2012   11-2 Year before he takes over

----------------------------

2013   9-5 First year as HC

2014   10-4

2015   6-7

2016   3-9

2017   6-7

2018   10-2 First winning season in four years-- good enough to get hired.

Record versus top 25: 1-3 (Boise, 2015)

Looks like Tech opened up a 10-pound can of meh.

I wasn't thrilled when I first heard about Wells.  Hocutt, however, has a significant line of credit in the bank of "What the fuck have you done for our athletic program?"

Positives:

1. Clean break from the past.  Hopefully that allows for a new era of Tech football to dawn.  I probably wanted Holgorsen the most, but I like the new guy having zero ties to Leach or Tech prior to his hiring.

2. Lots of coaches had middling results in varying situations before they hit it big.  Bellichick and Saban are the two glaring examples, and that's not to say Wells is the next legend in coaching; but if Kirby liked the processes in the interview and assessments; then again, I defer to what he has done with other facets of the athletic program.  The past doesn't bother me that much if this guy is wired the right way.

3. Texas recruiting connections... WTF does that matter?  If a high school coach is developing players and wants his kids making it to FBS programs, and Wells is not a doucher; then why the hell WOULDN'T a Texas HS school coach welcome the scouting/ recruitment of his players?  This line of "evaluation' in a candidate has bugged me for a long time.  If dude runs a clean program and has a reputation for developing players on and off the field( graduation;) then roll with it.

Negatives:

1. Nobody knows who the fuck this guy is.  He could leverage that very nicely, however.

2. Didn't dominate lesser competition at a lesser school. This is a valid measure, IMHO; but there are also mitigating circumstances that could have occurred.  If Wells' processes and coaching philosophy blew Hocutt away, then I'm cool with that.  Kirby is willing to put his name( job) on the line and for now, that has pretty significant equity.

3. Some significant boosters weren't( allegedly) bought in on Wells. If he struggles early, which almost seems like a given, IMHO; how long will it be before folks are bitching, moaning, and lobbing constant "I told you so's?"

Kirby clearly gives no fucks when it comes to the fans.  We will see in 2 years if this was a good deal or a horrible deal and Tech will be needing a new AD and coach.  Unless Wells pulls some magic out of his ass I see 4 maybe 5 wins on Techs schedule next year.

I know they signed a 6 year deal.  Anyone know the amount and the buyout?  Kirby clearly learned nothing during the Kliff years, so I expect it to be shitty for Tech.

10 minutes ago, DonnyKerabatsos said:

I think Wells will be given a short leash, and Briles will be the guy they wind up with in 4 - 5 years.

Don't take this personally, but fuck you.

No Briles, ever.

54 minutes ago, Moby Ric said:

Kirby clearly gives no fucks when it comes to the fans.  We will see in 2 years if this was a good deal or a horrible deal and Tech will be needing a new AD and coach.  Unless Wells pulls some magic out of his ass I see 4 maybe 5 wins on Techs schedule next year.

I know they signed a 6 year deal.  Anyone know the amount and the buyout?  Kirby clearly learned nothing during the Kliff years, so I expect it to be shitty for Tech.

What is Kirby's obligation to the fans?

he sure made me happy as fuck during basketball and baseball seasons the last few years.  I don't remember being asked who i wanted to coach those squads.

2 minutes ago, DonnyKerabatsos said:

Nothing personal. Tech leadership will continue to not give a fuck.

If they ever hire Briles, they would demonstrate that premise to an irrefutable level.

1 minute ago, Moby Ric said:

Happy fans sell tickets, fill stadiums, create larger donations.  Not happy fans don't do those things.  For Tech or any football program I would say the AD has some obligation to them.  

The line you cut off of the quote directly addressed your point.

The other part is, to whom is Hocutt beholden in the hiring process?  Fans are to be included?  if so, how?

While he has done well in basketball and baseball there is no argument.  But he has failed miserably in the football program at Tech.  

And fans obviously can't be directly involved in the hiring process, but a good AD would at least be in touch with what his fan base wants.  Once Matt Wells was announced as the front runner most sports outlets and Tech social media outlets went WTF is Tech thinking.  You would think Kirby who in his own words said he was going to make Tech an "elite" program would listen when the loud groans came from across the state when Matt Wells was named front runner.  See Tennessee and Schiano.

25 minutes ago, Moby Ric said:

While he has done well in basketball and baseball there is no argument.  But he has failed miserably in the football program at Tech.  

He's one made one hire for football at Tech (prior to Wells), and it was a guy that just about every Tech fan wanted.  I wouldn't say that's failing miserably.

I don't really care about the "wow" factor of hiring day, save for the impact on recruits. hiring Kliff was a move virtually all of us were excited about.

Winning.

Winning is what answers/ addresses everything.

Edited by slorch

Kliff was the hire that got people excited no doubt.  It was his attempt to unite the fanbase back together.  However,  Kirby did keep him on too long when it was painfully obvious that Kliff was not getting the job done and never was.  That is failure imo.  

And I agree with Trashmaster, Briles is radioactive, he will never coach at Tech, and hopefully never again in college football.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

Previously 34-32 career guy has a 10-2 season in which he beats 0 good teams. Now he is ‘the guy.’ I hope this works out for him, but I rather doubt it. Definitely not a big splash.

Big splashes are a bit overrated, imo, as they last all of one off season and then the season starts and the coach either wins or loses. 

I think what people are failing to see is that Utah State is a lot like Tech, but on a smaller scale: relatively remote location, fewer resources than their competitors, underdog mentality, etc.  Wells did a lot with little at USU, and that experience will serve him well in Lubbock.  Not unlike Leach and Dykes, he has consistently coached low rated recruits into very good college players.  He also grew up in a tiny town in Oklahoma, so there's not going be any culture shock for him.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Dirk X West said:

Big splashes are a bit overrated, imo, as they last all of one off season and then the season starts and the coach either wins or loses. 

I think what people are failing to see is that Utah State is a lot like Tech, but on a smaller scale: relatively remote location, fewer resources than their competitors, underdog mentality, etc.  Wells did a lot with little at USU, and that experience will serve him well in Lubbock.  Not unlike Leach and Dykes, he has consistently coached low rated recruits into very good college players.  He also grew up in a tiny town in Oklahoma, so there's not going be any culture shock for him.

people are all beating their meat for Seth Littrell, but what the fuck has he done?

yea he "changed north Texas state", but look at the piles of shit they beat this year and last year it is pretty underwhelming and look at some of the piles of shit they LOST to in those years and it is worse

Utah State is north Texas state in a far better conference and without the DFW recruiting grounds much less the rest of Texas and people can say Wells took over a better program than Litterell did, but north Texas state has been flushing money down the toilet left and right on athletics thinking that some realignment is coming again and they might be a part of it and more importantly Wells was a major part of the program that he took over from

and I think it is a bit of a plus that Wells had a down season or two and was able to rebuild back from that with another really good season it is ridiculous to think that a program that is the #3 D1-A program in UTAH and that plays in the MWC with some more established programs will just continue unabated on a winning run

everyone wants to compare him to Kliff somewhat, but Kliff had 6 years to at least get back to 8 wins he had in his first season (when people tried to say he took over a program that was ruined) and all Kliff did was make the same stupid ass mistakes over and over year in and year out there was ZERO growth as a coach

Kliff refused to give up play calling, Wells pulled his head out of his ass and did exactly that, Kliff got a Boy Band of coaches together to start his career with zero experience and hung on to them too long and or lost them because they say the writing on the wall and wanted out while Wells made changes pretty quick and those changes worked

as far as no Texas ties he has enough and so do his other coaches and Tech (and many others in the Big 12 and in Texas D1-A) would do well to NOT solely concentrate on Texas recruiting because that shit is stupid in general and it does not seem to be paying off much Tech would do well to land a couple of 3 or 4 star players from California or Florida (as wells had some at USU) and get those players in to provide some competition and some perspective to other players instead of a bunch of guys that already know each other and or know of each other and maybe light a few fires under peoples asses competing for a position instead of all already being familiar with each other...and even out of Utah there are some pretty decent Tongan and Polynesian players to recruit and Tech always needs linemen

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

people are all beating their meat for Seth Littrell, but what the fuck has he done?

yea he "changed north Texas state", but look at the piles of shit they beat this year and last year it is pretty underwhelming and look at some of the piles of shit they LOST to in those years and it is worse

Utah State is north Texas state in a far better conference and without the DFW recruiting grounds much less the rest of Texas and people can say Wells took over a better program than Litterell did, but north Texas state has been flushing money down the toilet left and right on athletics thinking that some realignment is coming again and they might be a part of it and more importantly Wells was a major part of the program that he took over from

and I think it is a bit of a plus that Wells had a down season or two and was able to rebuild back from that with another really good season it is ridiculous to think that a program that is the #3 D1-A program in UTAH and that plays in the MWC with some more established programs will just continue unabated on a winning run

everyone wants to compare him to Kliff somewhat, but Kliff had 6 years to at least get back to 8 wins he had in his first season (when people tried to say he took over a program that was ruined) and all Kliff did was make the same stupid ass mistakes over and over year in and year out there was ZERO growth as a coach

Kliff refused to give up play calling, Wells pulled his head out of his ass and did exactly that, Kliff got a Boy Band of coaches together to start his career with zero experience and hung on to them too long and or lost them because they say the writing on the wall and wanted out while Wells made changes pretty quick and those changes worked

as far as no Texas ties he has enough and so do his other coaches and Tech (and many others in the Big 12 and in Texas D1-A) would do well to NOT solely concentrate on Texas recruiting because that shit is stupid in general and it does not seem to be paying off much Tech would do well to land a couple of 3 or 4 star players from California or Florida (as wells had some at USU) and get those players in to provide some competition and some perspective to other players instead of a bunch of guys that already know each other and or know of each other and maybe light a few fires under peoples asses competing for a position instead of all already being familiar with each other...and even out of Utah there are some pretty decent Tongan and Polynesian players to recruit and Tech always needs linemen

That is a lucid, intelligent, and well-thought out post.

4 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

Going in deep on your write-up ButtFumble..... Might want to use protection so you don't end up with unwanted diseases....

This Wells selection is a huge reach..... Better bring in at least 2  Coaches as assistants who can recruit DFW, and West Texas or Wells won't make it to Year 4...... this hire might be similar to Charlie Strong at Texas

Tech Alumni Not Happy......  Kirby Saying:  

giphy.gif

Edited by LTtxfan

Eh, I think Wells can end up getting Tech to 8-9 wins a year again. The difference is whether or not he can field an exciting brand of football. To some people 8 wins is 8 wins which is true at the end of the day and in the standings. That being said part of the allure of Tech football that got them national attention was the fact that Leach and Tech played an exciting brand of football that was fun to watch.

Winning 8 games being middle of the pack in many major offensive and defensive statistical categories feels a lot different than winning 8 games with one of the more fun offenses in the country to watch.

22 minutes ago, Moby Ric said:

So far 4 recruits have de-committed from Tech.  

Isn't that to be expected with a coaching change like this, where the entire staff is going to change over?

Plus, the new staff haven't had a chance yet to reach out to the recruits, so some may come back.  But it seems to me most schools lose a few commits when there's a complete staff change like this.