Tell me about Texas Tech

Longboard Horn

The first time I saw Texas play Texas Tech in person, Larry Issacs was playing for Tech and the starting running backs (of note) for the Horns were Roosevelt Leaks and Earl Campbell.  I believe Sherman Lee was also a starting linebacker that year for the Horns.

Nothing has changed since then, Lubbock is still Lubbock, Tech still has to fly all of its recruits in and out after dark and Tech fans will never change.  Always hopeful until the reality of 100 years sits in.  The Red Wannabe’s......as a whole, the most unsophisticated fan base in football....and they live in Lubbock. That’s like having Jerry Jones as a cellmate in hell.....

1 minute ago, Bluemoon3287 said:

The first time I saw Texas play Texas Tech in person, Larry Issacs was playing for Tech and the starting running backs (of note) for the Horns were Roosevelt Leaks and Earl Campbell.  I believe Sherman Lee was also a starting linebacker that year for the Horns.

Nothing has changed since then, Lubbock is still Lubbock, Tech still has to fly all of its recruits in and out after dark and Tech fans will never change.  Always hopeful until the reality of 100 years sits in.  The Red Wannabe’s......as a whole, the most unsophisticated fan base in football....and they live in Lubbock. That’s like having Jerry Jones as a cellmate in hell.....

You seem like a giant pussy

• Like 1

Truth hurts...The first time I saw Texas play Texas Tech in person, Larry Issacs was playing for Tech and the starting running backs (of note) for the Horns were Roosevelt Leaks and Earl Campbell.  I believe Sherman Lee was also a starting linebacker that year for the Horns.

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Bluemoon3287 said:

Absolute unfactual, bullshit.

Any number of TT coaches have proven by any objective measure that Lubbock can be recruited to very successfully.   The fly them in at night thing is completely absurd.  Tim Tadlock has been to to the CWS 3 times in the last 5 years and tied last year for the most MLB draftees in the country as an example.

You think he's doing that with smoke and mirrors?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bluemoon3287 said:

Truth hurts...The first time I saw Texas play Texas Tech in person, Larry Issacs was playing for Tech and the starting running backs (of note) for the Horns were Roosevelt Leaks and Earl Campbell.  I believe Sherman Lee was also a starting linebacker that year for the Horns.

You sound fun to hang out with and must be pleasant to be around in general.

18 hours ago, Bluemoon3287 said:

You sound like one of those people where the logo on the degree (if you even have one) is worth more than the subject you studied. 

11 hours ago, Bluemoon3287 said:

When people introduce their degree or speak to others about their degree, I remember what it was like  to be that young and impressionable.  So naive....

Some people graduate Summa Cum Laude.

Some people graduate Magna Cum Laude.

I graduated Praise The Laude. 

• Like 2

On 12/3/2018 at 9:02 AM, Moby Ric said:

So far 4 recruits have de-committed from Tech.  

Interested to see what happens with Tech 2019 Recruiting Class....

McIvor may Re-Commit toTech, but currently 6 DeCommits...

Hogan may get a shot at aggie.....  Haven't heard where Parker might end up.

Texas Tech 2019 Football Decommits

• Steven Parker
    Steven ParkerSouth Oak Cliff (Dallas, TX) 
    6-4 / 220
    356 22 42
    Decommit 12/1/2018
    WDE
  • Maverick McIvor
    Maverick McIvorCentral (San Angelo, TX) 
    6-2.5 / 195
    762 18 97
    Decommit 11/30/2018
    DUAL
  • Alex Hogan
    Alex HoganLamar (Houston, TX) 
    5-11 / 165
    817 72 108
    Decommit 12/2/2018
    CB
  • Brandon Joseph
    Brandon JosephCollege Station (College Station, TX) 
    6-1 / 185
    973 79 127
    Decommit 12/8/2018
    S
  • Markel Reed
    Markel ReedTemple (Temple, TX) 
    6-1 / 166
    NA 115 155
    Decommit 12/3/2018
    CB
  • Keeyon Stewart
    Keeyon StewartNorth Shore (Houston, TX) 
    5-11 / 160
    NA 148 194
    Decommit 12/1/2018
    CB

Edited by LTtxfan

46 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Interested to see what happens with Tech 2019 Recruiting Class....

McIvor may Re-Commit toTech, but currently 6 DeCommits...

Hogan may get a shot at aggie.....  Haven't heard where Parker might end up.

Texas Tech 2019 Football Decommits

• Steven Parker
    Steven ParkerSouth Oak Cliff (Dallas, TX) 
    6-4 / 220
    356 22 42
    Decommit 12/1/2018
    WDE
  • Maverick McIvor
    Maverick McIvorCentral (San Angelo, TX) 
    6-2.5 / 195
    762 18 97
    Decommit 11/30/2018
    DUAL
  • Alex Hogan
    Alex HoganLamar (Houston, TX) 
    5-11 / 165
    817 72 108
    Decommit 12/2/2018
    CB
  • Brandon Joseph
    Brandon JosephCollege Station (College Station, TX) 
    6-1 / 185
    973 79 127
    Decommit 12/8/2018
    S
  • Markel Reed
    Markel ReedTemple (Temple, TX) 
    6-1 / 166
    NA 115 155
    Decommit 12/3/2018
    CB
  • Keeyon Stewart
    Keeyon StewartNorth Shore (Houston, TX) 
    5-11 / 160
    NA 148 194
    Decommit 12/1/2018
    CB

Hogan already re-committed to them today.

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Hogan already re-committed to them today.

Plus this new OL Committment..... Decommitted from Baylor in Oct.

https://247sports.com/player/landon-peterson-46054022/

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/collegesports/2018/12/10/texas-tech-getting-roll-notches-second-commitment-day

Edited by LTtxfan

8 hours ago, Sock Drawer said:

I assume we're not interested in any of their decommits...

There's been some discussion off and on from UT sources about interest in Steven Parker.  

If we believe close family members, Maverick McIvor is a done deal to Tech.  Cancelled his USC visit last week end.  Keeyon Stuart forecast to re commit soon as well.

41 minutes ago, Penche Gringo said:

Mavrick is former UT QB Rick McIvor’s boy. He actually had an offer from SC months ago. Kliff landing there is probably the reason.

Yes. I have family in San Angelo. Have known the family for a while. He May end up at Tech after all the talk about USC. 

11 hours ago, pigmeat markham said:

There's been some discussion off and on from UT sources about interest in Steven Parker.  

If we believe close family members, Maverick McIvor is a done deal to Tech.  Cancelled his USC visit last week end.  Keeyon Stuart forecast to re commit soon as well.

Conflicting reports on the Tech radio station here in Lubbock this morning regarding McIvor. The local guys here answered a question from a fan about him and they said they didn't think he was recommitting. FWIW I don't know if they have any info or if it was just their gut feeling.

8 minutes ago, BurntOrangeCrush said:

Conflicting reports on the Tech radio station here in Lubbock this morning regarding McIvor. The local guys here answered a question from a fan about him and they said they didn't think he was recommitting. FWIW I don't know if they have any info or if it was just their gut feeling.

LOL.  It's Lubbock talk radio, for god's sake.  They don't have a fucking clue.  They'll find out when the rest of us find out.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dirk X West said:

LOL.  It's Lubbock talk radio, for god's sake.  They don't have a fucking clue.  They'll find out when the rest of us find out.

Truth.

My dad used to be a recruiting junkie.  He lived for NSD.  So I got into recruiting just to keep up with him.  But I had to stop because I got sick and tired of the roller coaster ride and my happiness dependent on the whims of 17 and 18 year olds.

3 hours ago, BurntOrangeCrush said:

Well, it wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong when it comes to recruiting, but I'd most likely be willing to bet a substantial sum of money on a recommit to TT.  Kind of funny, even his own grandmother announced it yesterday.

Might be official soon. OV to TT this week end after multiple unofficials.

Edited by pigmeat markham

On 12/6/2018 at 11:28 AM, Bluemoon3287 said:

Good post. Would read again. 

Former Tech WR Coach Emmett Jones new WR Coach at Kansas...

"Emmett Jones coached three years at South Oak Cliff as the head coach and also had stints as an assistant at Dallas Lincoln and Seagoville. And speaking of South Oak Cliff, current four-star defensive end recruit Steven Parker, who attends South Oak Cliff and was previously committed to Texas Tech, decomitted after it was announced Jones would not be retained. 

Parker has since picked up one Crystal Ball pick to Kansas, which was made shortly after Jones' hiring was announced." 

(TCU is probably still the favorite for Parker though....)

On 12/6/2018 at 12:14 PM, pigmeat markham said:

Absolute unfactual, bullshit.

Any number of TT coaches have proven by any objective measure that Lubbock can be recruited to very successfully.   The fly them in at night thing is completely absurd.  Tim Tadlock has been to to the CWS 3 times in the last 5 years and tied last year for the most MLB draftees in the country as an example.

You think he's doing that with smoke and mirrors?

No, I think he's doing it with white guys. Tobacco chewing white guys who don't feel out of their element in Lubbock. Recruiting baseball and football are two entirely different things.

https://texastech.com/roster.aspx?roster=162&path=baseball

Lolz...I get what you're saying about missing the inner city kids, although I disagree to a certain extent. Virtually all of these guys who were drafted are from the 'burbs or bigger single high school towns.  Those hometowns are not that different than those of most good football schools. In hoops, Zhaire Smith was from Laveview Centennial in Garland and Jarret Culver is from Lubbock.  Patrick Mahomes II was from that football powerhouse of Whitehouse, TX. Our current football roster does have its share of guys from Skyline, Houston Lamar, Aldine Ike, Etc, etc.

2018 MLB DRAFT
Grant Little –Midland Christian
Steven Gingery –Huntington Beach, CA
Ryan Shetter – Friendswood
Jose Quezada – Northglenn, CO

Davis Martin –San Angelo Central 
Ty Harpenau – Ft Smith, AR
Caleb Kilian – Flower Mound, TX
Cody Farhat –Plano, TX 
Michael Davis – Lubbock, TX
Dylan Dusek – Sugarland Kempner
Zach Rheams-- Angleton/ Brazoswood

1 hour ago, slorch said:

Lolz...I get what you're saying about missing the inner city kids, although I disagree to a certain extent. Virtually all of these guys who were drafted are from the 'burbs or bigger single high school towns.  Those hometowns are not that different than those of most good football schools. In hoops, Zhaire Smith was from Laveview Centennial in Garland and Jarret Culver is from Lubbock.  Patrick Mahomes II was from that football powerhouse of Whitehouse, TX. Our current football roster does have its share of guys from Skyline, Houston Lamar, Aldine Ike, Etc, etc.

2018 MLB DRAFT
Grant Little –Midland Christian
Steven Gingery –Huntington Beach, CA
Ryan Shetter – Friendswood
Jose Quezada – Northglenn, CO

Davis Martin –San Angelo Central 
Ty Harpenau – Ft Smith, AR
Caleb Kilian – Flower Mound, TX
Cody Farhat –Plano, TX 
Michael Davis – Lubbock, TX
Dylan Dusek – Sugarland Kempner
Zach Rheams-- Angleton/ Brazoswood

Gingery is from the hard, mean streets of Huntington Beach?  The HBeach is a rough hood, yo.  Bunch a Van wearin' hood rats up in there

Dylan Dusek wins a close battle over Jose Quezada in the hot mom / hot sister combo competition.  They may rank 1 and 2 in the entire Big 12

• Like 1

Lubbock will always be Lubbock and it will always be located right in the middle of the South Plains with nothing (other than Midland, Abilene and Amarillo within 300 miles....that’s a tough sell to an inner city kid.  Probably the hardest sale in the state.....fly them in after dark 
Taos is 289 miles from Lubbock you twit.

11 hours ago, El Diablo said:

No, I think he's doing it with white guys. Tobacco chewing white guys who don't feel out of their element in Lubbock. Recruiting baseball and football are two entirely different things.

https://texastech.com/roster.aspx?roster=162&path=baseball

Utter nonsense.  When it comes to college baseball, virtually everyone in the entire country, including UT, does it primarily with white guys. And have you seen the TT basketball team play a game?

Most certainly there are nuances that differ in recruiting varying sports.  In the final analysis though, they're the same--you've got to get them to go to your school as opposed to another.

Got any more absurd stereotypes?  It's fun playing make believe.

1 hour ago, pigmeat markham said:

Utter nonsense.  When it comes to college baseball, virtually everyone in the entire country, including UT, does it primarily with white guys. And have you seen the TT basketball team play a game?

Most certainly there are nuances that differ in recruiting varying sports.  In the final analysis though, they're the same--you've got to get them to go to your school as opposed to another.

Got any more absurd stereotypes?  It's fun playing make believe.

Are the recruiting rankings an absurd stereotype? Quick google-fu shows Tech above only KU. Is that the nuance you are looking for?

https://www.scout.com/Season/2018-Football/TeamRankings/?Conference=Big-12

8 hours ago, El Diablo said:

Are the recruiting rankings an absurd stereotype? Quick google-fu shows Tech above only KU. Is that the nuance you are looking for?

https://www.scout.com/Season/2018-Football/TeamRankings/?Conference=Big-12

Not an absurd stereotype, but virtually everyone would agree it's an inexact science to be sure.

That really doesn't matter though as you're really over thinking this. My original point was there are multiple coaches who have demonstrated it's clearly possible to recruit to Lubbock. Even cited examples.

The football program has had six years of being headed by an awful recruiter, then faced with a coaching change only days before the early signing period.  And you want to blame their less than stellar ranking purely on location?  

If it was purely location, it would be across the board and Beard, Tadlock, Kittley, etc. woudn't be able to recruit either.  You're trying way too hard.

• Like 1

I watched Rick McIvor play his bi-district game his senior year in high school at Ft Stockton. He was amazing. Not sure what he had been doing since then other than being the Jeff Davis County Sheriff.  His started at Ft Davis and then transferred to San Angelo for his junior and senior year. Seen him play twice and he is  GOOD. Not as stout as his dad, but a wicked quick release and  quite accurate - I bet he fits well in Lubbock