Tell me about Texas Tech

Longboard Horn

6 hours ago, pigmeat markham said:

Rumor of the day is Bob Stoops to Tech.  While it is true that Stoops and Hocutt are very tight,, I'm not planning on holding my breath and waiting on that one. That one is pretty far out there.

That would be the most bizarre move ever. Ohio State or the Browns are the only places I could see coaxing Stoops out of retirement. I suppose Les Miles to Kansas is also a bit weird, but the guy got let go from his previous job and had been sitting at home for over a year so it makes a bit more sense. 

Stoops is not what Tech needs.

Tech needs a coach who is experienced, but also young and hungry with an upward trajectory.  It doesn't need a coach who is coming out of retirement. 

Leach was the former.  Tuberville was the latter.  Kliff was just too way, way too soon...he was too inexperienced and unfortunately was not able to improve with the on-the-job training.

Tech could get the coach from A&M-Commerce, or the UAB coach, or maybe even pull in the Boise St. coach.  But the last thing it needs to do is bring in a retired coach...that's not going to work at Tech where you need youthful energy, and yet competence, to help recruit the kids to Lubbock (see men's basketball and Chris Beard). Kliff, for his youth, never had the recruiting energy, in my opinion.  We need to find the football version of Chris Beard.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Uncle Nate said:

Stoops is not what Tech needs.

Tech needs a coach who is experienced, but also young and hungry with an upward trajectory.  It doesn't need a coach who is coming out of retirement. 

Leach was the former.  Tuberville was the latter.  Kliff was just too way, way too soon...he was too inexperienced and unfortunately was not able to improve with the on-the-job training.

Tech could get the coach from A&M-Commerce, or the UAB coach, or maybe even pull in the Boise St. coach.  But the last thing it needs to do is bring in a retired coach...that's not going to work at Tech where you need youthful energy, and yet competence, to help recruit the kids to Lubbock (see men's basketball and Chris Beard). Kliff, for his youth, never had the recruiting energy, in my opinion.  We need to find the football version of Chris Beard.

We probably couldn't duplicate Beard or Tadlock again if we tried.

1 hour ago, CozManTx said:

agreed. Leach came in at the beginning of the whole Air Raid scheme, and was able to recruit like crazy for WR and QBs because they knew they'd put up crazy stats. Tubs showed up for a paycheck. KK's "cool bro" demeanor is tired and while I tihnk the players LIKE him, they don't TRUST him as a coach. Simply IMO.

Not sure that's correct regarding KK.  At the start of the season anyway, TT led all schools in WRs on NFL rosters are some such accolade.   And we've seen his QB recruiting.  I'm not sure one could do that without a decent degree of trust.

33 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

That's why there are so many OSU and TT posters here.  I just fear the posters we are trying to get away from follow us over here.  

That will NEVER happen.

There is an accountability here that is exactly the type of material to which they have an aversion, at least with respect to my experiences on RP.

While there are still some fine posters there, the shitheads could never handle the 'atmosphere, if you will; on Surly.

1 hour ago, CozManTx said:

Yes, 18y old Mahomes trusted KK. And it paid him dividends. I just surmise that with each passing season with little to no improvement, the recruiting and the overall emotion of this team is one that is not doing well. That KSU game was played by a team that quit at halftime. They wanted to go home and it showed.

But in weird Tech fashion, then you have the UT game where they got kicked in the nuts for a half and then battled back at the end. Tech is, and has always been, so freaking bi-polar.

They've played hard and with emotion in every game this season until KSU.

2 hours ago, Uncle Nate said:

I haven't posted on Raider Power since long before it became a part of Scout. I stopped my subscription to Red Raider Sports around the time Robert G. sold his interest in it.

I miss the old  360 boards.  

I'm with you in missing the old 360 boards.  That was when posting and reading was the most fun by far.  It was new and there was something really fun about having all the schools available on one site.

Been doing RRS for over 15 years now, though keep telling myself I'm going to give it up.  The posters are getting worse and KK really limits information access to the staff.  

Only time I could stand raiderpower was when Amanda was kind enough to create a private forum for a group of us. Hadn't visited in years now, but appeared unbearable last I saw. 

Honestly, before seeing the Big XII record above (yikes) I was under the impression that Tech was looking up. Bowman going down had to be a gut punch on the season, but the D had/has been playing better. 

I know you don't want him to stay and he probably shouldn't, but what if he does? What changes would you like to see him make? Coaches? Recruiting philosophy? 

At the end of the day, Kliff is still learning on the job and I agree with the poster above that stated he would one day be a good coach. Y'all are currently ranked 5th overall in recruiting with some talent on defense coming in. It's not great but it's not bad. 

Anyway, just curious of your thoughts should he stay.

13 minutes ago, Droopy said:

Honestly, before seeing the Big XII record above (yikes) I was under the impression that Tech was looking up. Bowman going down had to be a gut punch on the season, but the D had/has been playing better. 

I know you don't want him to stay and he probably shouldn't, but what if he does? What changes would you like to see him make? Coaches? Recruiting philosophy? 

At the end of the day, Kliff is still learning on the job and I agree with the poster above that stated he would one day be a good coach. Y'all are currently ranked 5th overall in recruiting with some talent on defense coming in. It's not great but it's not bad. 

Anyway, just curious of your thoughts should he stay.

I don't know what happened with that K-State game, but honestly, I would be OK with him coming back, assuming he can beat Baylor.  If they do, I don't really think they would need to make major changes.  He has the right coaching staff in place.  That was a major issue his first 3-4 years, but now, the biggest issues now are with Kliff himself.  I think he's arrived a good overall strategic approach, which is that he wants an offense that can run the ball a bit and build up some time of possession, to go with the passing attack.  He's still a bad game manager, though. 

I guess the one thing the AD could do is force him to give up the play calling, which a lot of people have been asking for for a while.  If Kliff is retained, it will be a situation where he probably would have to go along with externally mandated changes like that.  To me, the biggest problem with keeping him will be that the fanbase will be collectively quite pissed off, season ticket sales will suffer, etc. 

28 minutes ago, Dirk X West said:

I don't know what happened with that K-State game, but honestly, I would be OK with him coming back, assuming he can beat Baylor.  If they do, I don't really think they would need to make major changes.  He has the right coaching staff in place.  That was a major issue his first 3-4 years, but now, the biggest issues now are with Kliff himself.  I think he's arrived a good overall strategic approach, which is that he wants an offense that can run the ball a bit and build up some time of possession, to go with the passing attack.  He's still a bad game manager, though. 

I guess the one thing the AD could do is force him to give up the play calling, which a lot of people have been asking for for a while.  If Kliff is retained, it will be a situation where he probably would have to go along with externally mandated changes like that.  To me, the biggest problem with keeping him will be that the fanbase will be collectively quite pissed off, season ticket sales will suffer, etc. 

I, of course, have very strong feelings to the contrary, but regarding Hocutt, felt this opinion piece written by a local was very novel and even surprisingly pointed to have been written by what is almost always a very TT friendly local media.  Friend of mine sent it to me.

https://247sports.com/college/texas-tech/Article/Kansas-State-beats-Texas-Tech-21-6-124904827/

Edited by pigmeat markham

today was everything about the Bro tenure
late in the game in a 3rd and long get a stupid ruffing the passer penalty to give KSU a first down
QBs that are just woefully under prepared......Jet Duffy is regarded and should not even be on the team much less the field and he has played plenty at this point, but still cannot take a snap from center and handle the ball......then they replace him WAY TOO LATE in the game when it is clear that Duffy is regarded and will not rally the team and the guy that was the SEASON STARTER just does more stupid shit
the terrible INTs
dumb ass special teams decisions over and over on BASIC shit like kick offs......to end the half actually going backwards to the point that a safety is a real possibility with 28 seconds left because of dumb ass play calling and dumb ass players handling the ball
playing down the the level of opponents, shitting the bed when important things are at stake and coming out flat as fuck and never showing a glimmer of hope
this looked like dumb as fuck cool kid Bro coaching Vs the guy that ended last season and started this season
there is no way to recover from this Baylor is a probably loss and even if it was a win Bro comes from the fuck off the bowl game style of coaching so Tech would be looking at 6-7 even with a Baylor win and really even IF Tech could beat Baylor and take home the Golded Alternator Trophy from a bowl game 7-5 should not cut it this far into a tenure that features entire seasons of shitting the bed and long streaks of shitting the bed with totally dumb ass shit every season because Patterson will not stay down long, Rule is CLEARLY a better coach than Bro.....Less at KU will knock the shit out of Bro, OkState still gives them fits, Holgar is light years ahead of Bro and Tommy H. and LR are not going to shit the bed to Kliff every other year or so much less in the same year of frequently
along with that players are still transferring the fuck out and the QB play is still questionable and the running game seems to have gone to shit
it is too bad Tech will probably lose their best DC in decades if they fire Bro, but there needs to be a change at the top for sure Kliff just has the dumbs like Duffy and they both need to GTFO together

23808de7d4f1eef466f37de9d2a6f207.jpg

On 11/17/2018 at 8:48 PM, ButtFumble said:

today was everything about the Bro tenure

late in the game in a 3rd and long get a stupid ruffing the passer penalty to give KSU a first down

QBs that are just woefully under prepared......Jet Duffy is regarded and should not even be on the team much less the field and he has played plenty at this point, but still cannot take a snap from center and handle the ball......then they replace him WAY TOO LATE in the game when it is clear that Duffy is regarded and will not rally the team and the guy that was the SEASON STARTER just does more stupid shit

the terrible INTs

dumb ass special teams decisions over and over on BASIC shit like kick offs......to end the half actually going backwards to the point that a safety is a real possibility with 28 seconds left because of dumb ass play calling and dumb ass players handling the ball

playing down the the level of opponents, shitting the bed when important things are at stake and coming out flat as fuck and never showing a glimmer of hope

this looked like dumb as fuck cool kid Bro coaching Vs the guy that ended last season and started this season

there is no way to recover from this Baylor is a probably loss and even if it was a win Bro comes from the fuck off the bowl game style of coaching so Tech would be looking at 6-7 even with a Baylor win and really even IF Tech could beat Baylor and take home the Golded Alternator Trophy from a bowl game 7-5 should not cut it this far into a tenure that features entire seasons of shitting the bed and long streaks of shitting the bed with totally dumb ass shit every season because Patterson will not stay down long, Rule is CLEARLY a better coach than Bro.....Less at KU will knock the shit out of Bro, OkState still gives them fits, Holgar is light years ahead of Bro and Tommy H. and LR are not going to shit the bed to Kliff every other year or so much less in the same year of frequently

along with that players are still transferring the fuck out and the QB play is still questionable and the running game seems to have gone to shit

it is too bad Tech will probably lose their best DC in decades if they fire Bro, but there needs to be a change at the top for sure Kliff just has the dumbs like Duffy and they both need to GTFO together

On a serious note, I agree with you that Kliff needs to be gone. He should have been shown the door after the 2016 season. What's his buyout? 

Also, why the fuck did he let Duffey back on the team?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, pigmeat markham said:

I, of course, have very strong feelings to the contrary, but regarding Hocutt, felt this opinion piece written by a local was very novel and even surprisingly pointed to have been written by what is almost always a very TT friendly local media.  Friend of mine sent it to me.

https://247sports.com/college/texas-tech/Article/Kansas-State-beats-Texas-Tech-21-6-124904827/

This is a bit of hyperbole: When the entire football program is burning to the ground, it seems almost pointless to discuss the details of a given game...

1 hour ago, Longboard Horn said:

On a serious note, I agree with you that Kliff needs to be gone. He should have been shown the door after the 2016 season. What's his buyout? 

$4.2 to $4.5 million plus some assistants

and Kliff let him back because he just does not think it is important to set a tone of self responsibility and he is soft

4 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

Don't listen to butt fumble.  He primarily posts nonsense.

KK let Duffey back on the team because regarding the rape allegation,  he was never arrested, formally charged, went to court, prosecuted or anything of the sort, much less convicted).   In fact, the Lubbock DA (who is an Aggie and not even again running for re-election) refused to press charges.

The allegations of his accuser were then made to the university pertaining to Title 9.  He was suspended, attempted to sue the university and forced to drop the threatened suit under pressure related to additional penalty thus threatening the continuation of his athletic career.

KK's buyout is a very little over 4 million and then 2 million  for assistants.

34 minutes ago, Brandywine said:

Most of my Tech fans have said to me that they’d still like to see Kliff get one more year. I don’t get it, but I get very little about Tech. 

It's my sense that those who favor giving KK another year are in a very small minority.  It's been six years now with no tangible improvement.

3 hours ago, Brandywine said:

Most of my Tech fans have said to me that they’d still like to see Kliff get one more year. I don’t get it, but I get very little about Tech. 

Virtually nobody in my circle of friends/ family/ extended Tech family wants him back.

There will always be a deep rooted respect for Kliff Kingsbury, the Red Raider.  He's a tough SOB who has done nothing less than give 100% for the school and football program. That does not equate to being the right coach for Texas Tech Football.  Spike loved Tech and was loved dearly too.

Kliff was on the brink of getting fired last season and the UT win brought him back...ugggggh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Now some folks are saying the Baylor game is equally precipitous as the 2017 Texas game.  Horseshit.  We have seen what we have seen.

It's time for a change.  Stop pussyfooting around.

Edited by slorch

On 11/21/2018 at 2:07 AM, Brandywine said:

You need to fire Kliff now. There are always these “give him one more year” fans that hate change. And if Kliff wins 2 more games, this contingent will only get louder and bigger 

On 11/20/2018 at 3:14 PM, slorch said:

That will NEVER happen.

There is an accountability here that is exactly the type of material to which they have an aversion, at least with respect to my experiences on RP.

While there are still some fine posters there, the shitheads could never handle the 'atmosphere, if you will; on Surly.

imgur

Edited by Vertigo

8 minutes ago, Dirk X West said:

I would love to have Venables as our coach, but would he even want to come to Tech?  I thought K-State might go after him if they part ways with Snyder.

There is a reason that even with the success he has found in Pickens county. His name simply doesn’t come up in the next hot head coach conversations. 

2 hours ago, Moby Ric said:

Believe it when I see it.  Otherwise it is bullshit.

Maybe he's a paying subscriber to Raider Power....

That's the only way to get information first, ya know...

Kirk fucking Bohls... LOlz.