Halloween 2018

Nole-4-Life

In.  Though I had nightmares for years about the original.  Was 6 years old and my mom decided to rent it because she thought it was a movie about Halloween, not some relentless stalker/killer that appeared impossible to stop.  I bet I had nightmares for ten years or so.

That trailer looks awesome.  And I am glad they are ignoring all the sequels.

Spoiler

So that means Laurie and Michael are not related.  

Edited by Johnny Sack

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The trailers suggested it was a "smart" horror move that was a much a character study.  It has that, but it's more slasher flick, with lots of people making dumb decisions that directly lead to their death.  

Not to say it's a bad movie.  The mother/daughter dynamic was good and the plot twist got me.

On 10/22/2018 at 12:52 PM, MrBig said:

I wanted to like this, but it was just boring. Major letdown.

This x1000. Just got out of a decently packed theater at the Drafthouse. You could feel the pre-show buzz building. Thirty minutes in people were still waiting for a big release. The few "make you jump in your seats" moments felt forced. Everyone walked out of the theater with a collective "meh". 

On 10/26/2018 at 9:32 PM, GhostOfTomJoad said:

This x1000. Just got out of a decently packed theater at the Drafthouse. You could feel the pre-show buzz building. Thirty minutes in people were still waiting for a big release. The few "make you jump in your seats" moments felt forced. Everyone walked out of the theater with a collective "meh". 

It's no Twilight.

I rewatched 1, 2, 4, 5, producer's cut of 6, and H20 before watching 2018.

4 and 5 have some very good moments, but also some dreck-ish sequences. Danielle Harris is excellent. The mask in 4 and 5 puts me on tilt. The one in 4 has a dumb look, and a scene where it is totally different, then the one in 5 is totally different from 4, despite supposedly being the same mask (at least 4 isn't supposed to be the same one from 1 and 2). The end of 4 is awesome, and it sucks that they kind of abandoned it with 5. 

That was my first time watching the producer's cut of 6, and it's considerably better than the theatrical.

I actually really liked 2018 and thought it was a good homage to the original. My rankings:

1. Halloween
2. Halloween (2018)
3. Halloween H20
4. Halloween II
5. Halloween (2007)
6. Halloween II (2009)
7. Halloween 4
8. Halloween 6 - producer's cut
9. Halloween 5
10. Halloween 6 - theatrical cut.

I'm a big Halloween mark, but have never seen Resurrection, though the reviews are hilariously awful.

17 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

interesting.  i didn't really like the zombie movies at all (particularly the 2nd one). 

is resurrection the one where they did the reality show thing at the myers house?  if so, yeah that one was ridiculously bad.

I haven't rewatched the Zombie ones since I saw them in the theater, so those rankings are tentative. I remember thinking they were ambitious and interesting, but clearly flawed.

Yes on Resurrection.

• 1 year later...