Casting to a TV via Iphone with NO internet connection

Looking at this TV for a cabin that does not have an internet connection, the only connection is via iphone.

TV:  https://www.amazon.com/Insignia-43-inch-Class-Smart-Fire/dp/B08X7K3H7K/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=smart+tv&qid=1665511975&qu=eyJxc2MiOiI2Ljk3IiwicXNhIjoiNi42MCIsInFzcCI6IjUuOTUifQ%3D%3D&refinements=p_n_size_browse-bin%3A3578041011&rnid=1232878011&s=tv&sprefix=smart%2Caps%2C129&sr=1-4

Can you do this?  I was under the assumption you need to be in a network to find the TV.  Maybe there are units you can do this with now?  I do not want to spend a lot on it.  We arent out there in the summer so if it gets stolen who cares.  If it was an $800 TV I would be pissed. 

3 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Looking at this TV for a cabin that does not have an internet connection, the only connection is via iphone.

TV:  https://www.amazon.com/Insignia-43-inch-Class-Smart-Fire/dp/B08X7K3H7K/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=smart+tv&qid=1665511975&qu=eyJxc2MiOiI2Ljk3IiwicXNhIjoiNi42MCIsInFzcCI6IjUuOTUifQ%3D%3D&refinements=p_n_size_browse-bin%3A3578041011&rnid=1232878011&s=tv&sprefix=smart%2Caps%2C129&sr=1-4

Can you do this?  I was under the assumption you need to be in a network to find the TV.  Maybe there are units you can do this with now?  I do not want to spend a lot on it.  We arent out there in the summer so if it gets stolen who cares.  If it was an $800 TV I would be pissed. 

Samsung smartthings or a hotspot on phone with a Chromecast or wifi will get you what you want. 

• Like 1

Casting, no.  That gets a little complicated and requires the tv and the phone to be on the same network.  EDIT:  I guess it would work with a second phone to control the casting and using the hotspot for a wifi connection.  Still, the below should work fine, you'll just have to use the remote/TV features to dial up content.

But a smart TV just needs an internet connection, so you could at least theoretically tether it to your iphone "hotspot" and if it has sufficient bandwidth in its connection, use the smart TV applications.  EDIT:  some of this is going to depend on how good your data is where you are.  If it's in the boonies somewhere, you may not have sufficient bandwidth to stream "well."

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, immamac said:

You are also aware that routers function just fine without an internet connection right? 

You are also aware that there are routers than can use your phone as an internet connection?

I was thinking about this route as well, but unsure if it would work.  

6 minutes ago, markstanco said:

I was thinking about this route as well, but unsure if it would work.  

You can also try a wifi extender instead of full on router, but essentially personal hotspot on iPhone is mandatory. 

For those who don't know, mirroring is not the same as casting. 

Casting essentially has the DRM/license check on the device, then can exchange a stream key with the casting device and then the casting device uses the internet to handshake and begin the stream. It's why you can walk out of your friends house after you start streaming a movie on your Disney+ that the movie keeps playing. 

Mirroring uses wifi-direct and natively displays the screen image that is on your phone. If your phone isn't on the same network this is fine, because it uses wifi direct not wifi for Internet. 

Airplay is a smart balance of mirroring and casting that exclusive to the apple ecosystem. 

Smartthings works similarly, but is a more open ecosystem that includes iOS devices. 

Everything else is pretty hit or miss. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Isn't the simplest thing going to be starting up the hotspot, logging the smart TV into the hotspot network, and then using the TV controls to select/play content?

No extra hardware, no configuration issues.  The only limitation being the bandwidth on the hotspot, but that's going to be an issue pretty much no matter what you do.

56 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Isn't the simplest thing going to be starting up the hotspot, logging the smart TV into the hotspot network, and then using the TV controls to select/play content?

No extra hardware, no configuration issues.  The only limitation being the bandwidth on the hotspot, but that's going to be an issue pretty much no matter what you do.

Downside to hotspot on VZW is there is a data cap.  Not sure what it is, but I hit it a few years ago out there watch the CFP round 1.  I think it was a $200 mistake. 

27 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Downside to hotspot on VZW is there is a data cap.  Not sure what it is, but I hit it a few years ago out there watch the CFP round 1.  I think it was a $200 mistake. 

Yeah, that's a killer.  You may be able to buy a month's extra data for the hotspot for times you plan to travel there.

On 10/11/2022 at 1:03 PM, hornbri said:

The simplest thing would be to just get a lighting to HDMI adapter and connect the phone to the TV (unless you need to use it while streaming). 

Yep.  This is what we do, but with Android.  Get a screen mirroring device that plugs directly into TV's HDMI.