Texas Women’s Basketball 2022-2023: Get on board or get out the damn way

Pancho

Texas remains #10 in the NET this morning, entering the last week of Big 12 play. 

Baylor is #31, so they are 1 spot below a Quad 1 game.  KSU is #65, so that finale in Manhattan is Quad 1.

A 2-0 week would give us a regular season winning record in Quad 1 (7-6) and a 9-1 Quad 2 record. Texas, as a team, only has 8 Quad 3/4 games, which speaks to the strength of their schedule.  For example: LSU has 13 Q3/Q4 games (8 Quad 4 games!!!), SC/Maryland have 10, Stanford/ND/Iowa have 9.

The committee would have to note that of our 6 Quad 1 losses, 3 were without Rori in November (@UConn, Louisville, Marquette) and 1 was without Morris (@ISU).  At the moment, our sole Quad 2 loss is USF (#32 at home) unless they move up a couple spots, as Tech is still hovering as a Quad 1 loss (#75 on the road). 

Our record, to be honest, looks more like two different eras, November (3-3) and December to February (19-4). Aka, without Rori and with Rori. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Texas’ senior day graphic only lists Masudi and Anissa. What’s up with that? 

Anissa listed as a senior, Femme as a junior, Sonya and Shaylee as grad students, but my understanding was Shaylee had one year of eligibility left and Sonya none.

Is that all correct? Not getting the senior day graphic at all.

I would prefer Sonya to return since she's been in Vic's system for a year but I also think Texas can easily find a replacement at guard (if not an upgrade) in the portal. 

My guess is there will be more attrition too. It will be interesting to see what happens with Mwenentanda because Texas will have two "wings" returning in Muhammad/Holle plus they're bringing in a top 15 recruit at that position. 

10 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I would prefer Sonya to return since she's been in Vic's system for a year but I also think Texas can easily find a replacement at guard (if not an upgrade) in the portal. 

My guess is there will be more attrition too. It will be interesting to see what happens with Mwenentanda because Texas will have two "wings" returning in Muhammad/Holle plus they're bringing in a top 15 recruit at that position. 

I just don't see how Morris has any eligibility left.  She played 4 years at DePaul (3 countable seasons) and one at Texas.  That's 4 countable seasons.  No injury history for a medical RS, like Shaylee can use next year (and likely is, since she isn't included today either). 

I think Jak sticks.  6'2 guards don't come through often and she's still adjusting to big girl ball, after playing in South Dakota. 

It's very likely, at the moment, we go into the season with 9 players who aren't going through injury rehabs or potential redshirts - Rori, Shaylee, Jak, Muhammad, Jones, Gaston, Faye, Holle, Booker.  Maul, Moore and Codio are question marks for when they'll be ready to ball and Boutilier has to prove she has the conditioning to play (potential RS).  Hunter is donezo.  Kudos to Vic for honoring her scholarship this year, but she's hobbling this team's depth sitting in the stands. 

That's 13 players, so Vic can go find a Morris-type of scorer that can also play backup PG and keep a scholly open, as he usually does. 

Pebley is stepping down after the season. Not a surprised, outside of a pretty miraculous 2nd place regular season finish in 2020, TCU is ass. 

A competent coach or highly regarded assistant will see a good opportunity with Texas and OU leaving and Joni Taylor doing nothing to aggy. Pick up some of those 2nd tier players in the state when you’re just battling Tech, Baylor and OSU for them and become a top 4 or 5 team in the new Big 12 

Based on the number of players missing games, there can't be many teams (if any teams) that had worse injury luck this season. 

If Vic leads this team to a Big 12 title it's one of the best coaching jobs I've seen. This team hasn't been healthy all year and has missed 2 potential starters for a huge chunk of the Big 12 season. 

Just now, Rickylovesweed said:

Defense isn't great right now but Baylor is also hitting everything. You have to think they will eventually cool off. 

I’ve watched enough of our men’s team to know that is not a sufficient strategy. But Vic will make adjustments 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, perfectchaos007 said:

We're just tired. Our attempts to get the ball in the post are lazy, and Baylor is getting easy steals off the attempts. Texas needs to use adrenaline in the second half and find a way to win

Well this team needs to remember that the NCAA tournament is 1 day break between games. Tired isn’t an excuse or you’re out quickly 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Vic was steaming mad at the refs heading into the locker room. Surprised he didn't get a T. He thinks Rori is getting fouled. 

She’s been fouled a couple times and they got 1 or 2 calls wrong on who is was out on