Texas Women’s Basketball 2022-2023: Get on board or get out the damn way

Pancho

2 minutes ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

This is correct. And the OU game was huge, we are physically and emotionally spent.

That game was never close in the 2nd half. No reason Rori didn’t sit the last few minutes. 

1 minute ago, ClubWhatever said:

This team wasn’t ready to play.  

B12 did us no favor with this back to back, but the L is on Vic not having this team ready 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

54-63

Disappointed Will Ferrell GIF by PeacockTV

Just now, perfectchaos007 said:

If we play like this at KSU, OU could win the Big12 outright.

About the only “plus” is we get the whole rest of week off.  OU plays Wednesday and then Saturday against their in-state rival. 

Vic needs to just give them the day off tomorrow 

3 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

I understand.

I’m thinking Vic takes the blame for this game.

Both Baylor teams, who also played Saturday, won on the road tonight.

Does SEC play these Monday games?

SEC tends to play Thursday/Sundays with the occasional Monday game. But you’d play Thursday/Monday and not Saturday/Monday 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just like the men’s team, playing Holle and Muhammad is like playing Hunter and Mitchell. We are just down scorers. Both Morris and Moore should be taking those minutes if healthy

Hopefully Gaston is ok moving forward. I was hopeful Hunter was going to take a positive step in year 2, she’s MIA. Moore was expected to be our top player before the season & her attempts to realize that role failed before injury which is a killer. I expected her to get into form at this time of year. Morris was starting to give quality minutes & goes down.

It’s helped develop others but man, we have some real weaknesses.

Hate to say it but the officials f’n hate Vic at Texas.

19 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Hopefully Gaston is ok moving forward. I was hopeful Hunter was going to take a positive step in year 2, she’s MIA. Moore was expected to be our top player before the season & her attempts to realize that role failed before injury which is a killer. I expected her to get into form at this time of year. Morris was starting to give quality minutes & goes down.

It’s helped develop others but man, we have some real weaknesses.

Hate to say it but the officials f’n hate Vic at Texas.

All this. A few bad calls yesterday but the officiating was not why we lost that game.

As stated the main issue here is we started the year low on guards and then fragile self-absorbed Kyndall borked us.
Already low on guards and outside scorers we lost Sonya.
Yesterday Holle (40 min) went 1-7 (14.3%) for 5 points.  I love Shay but that's terrible production from the 3 position.
Shaylee 4-8 for 10 points.   Rori (39  min) 5-18 (28%) for 12 points. Amina had 6 TO in 18 minutes.

We really miss Sonya, I'm not wondering how we lost yesterday, I just amazed we won Saturday.
If, like JS1 thinks, she's done for the year I will not be optimistic for the remainder of the season.

Not 100% sure I want to re-post some of the post-game stuff from social media because it makes me sad, but....

Also wasn't sure, Vic and Faye had an argument on the bench and she basically never came back into the game. I know Vic is hard on players, but damn.

I think Vic goes into the offseason with GUARD DEPTH on his mind.  2 from the portal, minimum.  We cannot do this shit again.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Ironically, Chevalier would have gotten more playtime here than she has at Tech this season if she just patiently waited for her opportunity 

I can see why she and Kyndall Hunter are such good friends.

Both screwed us this season. 

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Not 100% sure I want to re-post some of the post-game stuff from social media because it makes me sad, but....

Also wasn't sure, Vic and Faye had an argument on the bench and she basically never came back into the game. I know Vic is hard on players, but damn.

I think Vic goes into the offseason with GUARD DEPTH on his mind.  2 from the portal, minimum.  We cannot do this shit again.  

True but a lot of shit had to happen for guard depth to be so thin. Hunter went MIA, Morris was injured, and Vic had to honor Codio's scholarship even with a major injury. 

Vic probably should have added another guard due to Hunter but it's also just a lot of bad luck. That's the most frustrating part about this season. Texas would have easily won the Big 12 considering they're tied for 1st missing essentially 2 starters for a huge chunk of the conference season and on top of that other bench players injured too. 

Moore and Morris were going to be starters and Hunter was probably going to be the first player off the bench. That's 3/6 top players missing and Texas is still tied for first place. Texas wins the Big 12 by 3 or 4 games if they are even remotely healthy this year. 

2 hours ago, Goodman said:

Moore was expected to be our top player before the season & her attempts to realize that role failed before injury which is a killer. 

Moore never got to play with Harmon because she was injured. 

Her game is really dependent on pick and pop which doesn't happen without a PG. Injuries have just fucked us all season. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

I can see why she and Kyndall Hunter are such good friends.

Both screwed us this season. 

True, but after watching Ashley play this year and watching KH's freshman campaign I'm not sure my disappointment in not having them around to play

is warranted.  Maybe one of them could have given Rori a break, but unless KH has greatly improved Vic should have had a better option coming in from the portal.

They are both head-cases and court challenged.

1 hour ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

True, but after watching Ashley play this year and watching KH's freshman campaign I'm not sure my disappointment in not having them around to play

is warranted.  Maybe one of them could have given Rori a break, but unless KH has greatly improved Vic should have had a better option coming in from the portal.

They are both head-cases and court challenged.

As we saw in that Tech game in Austin, having an extra guard who can handle the ball without vomiting all over themselves would be nice. 

But yes, Vic is classy and a good dude, maybe he truly believed Hunter just needed some more time.  But now it's been 2 years of basically nothing from her.  Time to cut bait.  Good luck elsewhere, I'm sure Gerlich would take her. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

As we saw in that Tech game in Austin, having an extra guard who can handle the ball without vomiting all over themselves would be nice. 

But yes, Vic is classy and a good dude, maybe he truly believed Hunter just needed some more time.  But now it's been 2 years of basically nothing from her.  Time to cut bait.  Good luck elsewhere, I'm sure Gerlich would take her. 

I don't think Gerlich wants to waste a scholarship on a spectator either. If Hunter wants to play again, the next coach will need assurance that she will play if physically cleared. AFAIK, Hunter's absence has been due to mental health not physical health

27 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I don't think Gerlich wants to waste a scholarship on a spectator either. If Hunter wants to play again, the next coach will need assurance that she will play if physically cleared. AFAIK, Hunter's absence has been due to mental health not physical health

That was more my dig at Gerlich who would love to grab another play who had mental health issues at Texas and act like we just ignored them and threw them away 

• Like 1

We all know Joens will win the Big 12 POY award because most of the coaches will end up treating it as her Lifetime Achievement Award, but ESPN is going to disagree.  The Blonde Mafia is probably going to ensure a Texas player doesn't win POY. 

Women's college basketball player of the year in all 32 conferences (espn.com)

Big 12

4433523.png?w=65&h=90&scale=crop&background=0xcccccc&transparent=true

Rori Harmon, 5-6, G, Texas Longhorns

The numbers aren't eye-popping, but Harmon's importance to the Longhorns' success can't be overstated. When she was out because of a foot injury early in the season, Texas started 1-3. With Harmon engineering the Longhorns on both ends of the floor now, they are on the verge of a Big 12 regular-season title.

Top competition: Ashley Joens, 6-1, F, Iowa State Cyclones

Winning Big 12 player of the year is about the only accolade Joens hasn't achieved in her five-year career. She is on the verge of leading the conference in scoring for a third time but might lose out again because the Cyclones won't win the regular-season title.

We know the Big12 isn't going to show any love for Texas, witness the preseason rankings. Next year should be fun because Rori's numbers should be even better with help at guard, but giving any Texas player accolades in our last season in the conference would be making the "blonde mafia" eat a turd taco.

But nice to see ESPN recognizing Harmon's greatness.

We know who the B12 player of the year is.

• Hook 'Em 1

I still think Celeste Taylor should have stayed.  ACC DPOY.  She would be killing it with multiple seasons under Vic.

12.3 ppg, 4.9 rpg, 60 steals and 17 blocks her one year under Vic.  Imagine if she was playing alongside Rori, Shaylee or Morris and AMo, versus Lambert, JAT and Warren.  The one advantage in personnel that Celeste had her one year under Vic was Charli Collier > Taylor Jones

Edited by Js1

25 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I still think Celeste Taylor should have stayed.  ACC DPOY.  She would be killing it with multiple seasons under Vic.

12.3 ppg, 4.9 rpg, 60 steals and 17 blocks her one year under Vic.  Imagine if she was playing alongside Rori, Shaylee or Morris and AMo, versus Lambert, JAT and Warren.  The one advantage in personnel that Celeste had her one year under Vic was Charli Collier > Taylor Jones

I love Vic but sometimes wonder if his holy-roller stuff and his sidelines rageaholism doesn't lose us some players.

Celeste left to be "closer to family" but she's not that close at Duke. We had what - 6 players transfer last year?

The girls appear to like him though...

1 minute ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

Celeste left to be "closer to family" but she's not that close at Duke.

COVID year was difficult for everyone and Celeste was far from home and isolated due to COVID.  NYC to Durham only 8 hours. The only major program close to home for her was, what, Rutgers or UConn or Syracuse? It has probably easier for her family to watch her games at Rutgers, at Syracuse, at BC, and at Pitt, compared to 1 road game they could easily get to for Texas (WV). 

I still have no faults with Warren, Ebo and Kobe transferring out after they graduated with degrees from Texas. It is also how we got Sonya and Shaylee, plus we got Lambert in 2020-21 as well.  We really only "lost" Celeste, Chevalier, Lattimore and then a bunch of Aston scrubs like Ortiz and Coleman.  And Precious Johnson.  Celeste and Lattimore were the biggest losses of the Vic era, by far, but it happens. 

• Like 1