Texas Women’s Basketball 2022-2023: Get on board or get out the damn way

Pancho

4 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

KSU may have really blown it by missing those free throws….if KSU loses it, they’ll be really pissed when they play us.

2 FT with the chance to go up 4. Just idiotic and why they’re so bad 

13 hours ago, Js1 said:

Thanks for nothing KSU. I hope we beat them by 40 again 

My confidence for the remainder of the season rides on Sonya being able to play. Without her we are severely offensively challenged.

The blood clot reports explain the hospitalization and cause me to believe she may not return soon.

I really hate it for her, these being her last games in college, she has been a warrior for us.

On the Vic show concerning Sonya Morris:

Alex “ Do you hope to have her back at least by the NCAA tournament or you still not sure?

Vic “Yeah I don’t think we are still sure when we’ll get her back, or if we’ll get her back.

We will reevaluate her probably Monday, she won’t play this weekend, won’t travel, so we’ll see. We'll do an evaluation on Monday, kinda see what the future holds.”

On 3/2/2023 at 10:07 AM, TommysTinyTowels said:

My confidence for the remainder of the season rides on Sonya being able to play. Without her we are severely offensively challenged.

The blood clot reports explain the hospitalization and cause me to believe she may not return soon.

I really hate it for her, these being her last games in college, she has been a warrior for us.

it's not a blood clot.  The issue is a deep thigh bruise and Morris is healing very slowly.  Frustrating, to be sure.

• Hook 'Em 1

No. 12/17 Texas (22-8, 13-4 Big 12) at Kansas State (16-14, 5-12 Big 12)
Saturday, March 4, 2023 – 4:00 p.m. Central   Game 31
Manhattan, Kan. – Bramlage Coliseum

TELEVISION: The game will be streamed on ESPN+. Brian Smoller, Missy Heidrick and Lina Sattarin on the call.
RADIO: The game will be carried on 105.3 FM in Austin. Dave Garrett (pxp) and Kathy Harston (analyst) will call the action.

ELITE COMPANY: Rori Harmon and Iowa guard Caitlin Clark are the only two players in NCAA DI women's basketball that are averaging at least 12 points per game, seven rebounds per game and five assists per game.

BATTLING ADVERSITY: The Longhorns have faced adversity with multiple players suffering injuries this season. Texas was limited to seven players in their last game. This season the Longhorns have had 45 missed games by rotational players.  

Kansas State Players to Watch:
Gregory paces the Kansas State's scoring effort, averaging 19.2 points and 5.5 rebounds per game. Sundell is the team's best passer, putting up 5.1 assists to go with 13.8 points per game. The Wildcats' leading rebounder is Jaelyn Glenn, who grabs 5.5 boards per game in addition to averaging 11.9 points.
Gregory's 2.4 made three-pointers per contest makes her Kansas State's most prolific three-point shooter. She hits 32 percent of her shots from beyond the arc.

Kansas State Schedule:
@ Texas L87-41     
vs Oklahoma State W86-72     
vs West Virginia L77-70     
@ Iowa State L67-56     
vs Texas Tech L85-65     
@ Baylor L69-48     

vs TCU     W64-48
@ Oklahoma State L82-74     
@ Kansas L85-72     

vs Iowa State W78-77     
@ Texas Tech L78-68     
vs Oklahoma L85-68     

vs Baylor W87-68     
@ TCU L75-62     
vs Kansas W63-45
@ West Virginia    L67-58     
@ Oklahoma L90-86 OT     

vs Texas

OU @ OSU starts an hour before us, to keep our eye on. 

Team needs a W. Can’t go into postseason on a 2 game slide. Lock up a share of the regular season, just do it. If OU hands us the outright title, so be it. 

Vic is 37-8 in March since 2017

With the 1 seed, we are locked into seeing Tech/KSU winner on day 2 of the tournament and then ISU/WV winner on day 3. Doesn’t look like any seeding other than 1 and 2 is going to change based on today’s results

1 seed gets Tech/KSU and ISU/WV

2 seed gets KU/TCU and OSU/Baylor

We are 6-2 versus both pods but I’d rather avoid OSU/Baylor

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, perfectchaos007 said:

We have looked exhausted in just about every Monday game after playing on Saturday. It's good practice for the NCAA tournament though since you only get 1 day of rest between games in the round of 32 and elite 8

Yep. But I can’t wait to get rid of that when we go SEC

5 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I'll take a tie for the Big 12 championship considering the circumstances but this season is so frustrating. If Texas is even remotely healthy they win the Big 12 by 3 games. 

This. The January road losses were frustrating too, but those are a thing in the portal era as players come in and take a while to fully get Vic’s defense 

But he does his best work in February and March 

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

Nice to see us playing better.  Hope we extend this lead and Vic rests some players.

Texas leads 52-26

2:30 left in 3rd qtr

Texas will have 5 days off, as the 1 seed doesn’t play until Friday. 

13 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

They're just fresher. Playing 2 games within 48 hours is not ideal when you're so depleted. 

Makes a big difference. I'm convinced the scheduling cost us the conference.

7 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I'll take a tie for the Big 12 championship considering the circumstances but this season is so frustrating. If Texas is even remotely healthy they win the Big 12 by 3 games. 

Absolutely.  Amazing we are where we are after the injuries this year.

Vic’s regular seasons so far 

2020-21: 17-8 (11-7)

2021-22: 23-6 (13-5)

2022-23: 23-8 (14-4)

Improved our conference win total every year. Injuries kept us from that being something more like 27-4(16-2) but it is what it is. 

Edited by Js1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, perfectchaos007 said:

We have looked exhausted in just about every Monday game after playing on Saturday. It's good practice for the NCAA tournament though since you only get 1 day of rest between games in the round of 32 and elite 8

In the tournament, both teams are playing after one day rest.  

6 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Vic’s regular seasons so far 

2020-21: 17-8 (11-7)

2021-22: 23-6 (13-5)

2022-23: 23-8 (14-4)

Improved our conference win total every year. Injuries kept us from that being something more like 27-4(16-2) but it is what it is. 

Vic... What a Stud!!!  🤘🤘🤘

• Hook 'Em 1

First round matchup on Friday is the winner of Tech/KSU. One we just played and one we have bad blood with. 

The 4/5 will be either OSU/WV if WV wins in Waco or OSU/Baylor if Baylor wins - 3 point WV lead in the 3rd Q

9 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

This says it all about the women’s AD before CDC took over

Well that and Coale and the Twin Towers were really damn good and then of course, Mulkey went on a fucking run. But yeah, we just hired the wrong coach after Jody. It happens 

Will be interesting to see if we are a 3 or 4 in the next Bracketology. ND got ass blasted by Louisville. I mean, 38 points is all they scored. Ohio State picked up a huge win over Indiana

I think we can solidify a 3 if we make the Big 12 tournament finals. But damn that Baylor game would have probably put our ceiling at a 2 than a 3. 

Just stay off the 4 line. I don’t want to see a 1 seed until the E8, unless it’s banged up UConn

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

First round matchup on Friday is the winner of Tech/KSU. One we just played and one we have bad blood with. 

The 4/5 will be either OSU/WV if WV wins in Waco or OSU/Baylor if Baylor wins - 3 point WV lead in the 3rd Q

OSU/WV it is. Glad we don’t see Baylor 

• Hook 'Em 1