ear worms

NOMAAA

often times i hear a section of a song and find myself saying "F me i have heard that before, whats that from."  exact quote driving home yesterday listening to come in the water by the barr brothers.  i know someone else can listen to the part i am talking about and tell me what other song sounds like it.  i cant be the only one.

part i am talking about starts about the 2:03 mark.  the ba ba ba ba ba ba progression is driving me nuts.  like those star trek worms from kahn.  do you know the reference?

Crimson and Clover was my first thought.

The verse and chorus of Sweet Jane have that progression (although probably in a different key).

Listen to the first half of the first verse at 0:20 to 0:23. Also check out the chorus at 1:00 to 1:11.

The thing about "Crimson & Clover" is that it's a classic I-V-IV chord progression (C-G-F), whereas the Barr Brothers' tune is I-V-IIm (D-A-Em).

BUT, here's the thing:  the minor II is the relative minor of the IV.  They're cousins.  Really close cousins.  Like, West Virginia close.  Or maybe Arkansas.  So what would be D-A-G (a transposition of the "Crimson & Clover" chorus) is in this case D-A-Em, and because of the close relationship between Em and G it's almost the same progression.

I still vote "Crimson & Clover".

• 2 weeks later...
So here's a test . . . I heard a new Dan Auerbach song on the radio this morning, and it contains a clear arrangement nod to a big hit from the early 1980's.  No more clues for now, see if you can spot it:

I’m hearing a “Walk of Life” style progression. Also “You Better You Bet” to a lesser extent in the melody.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not what I was thinking, but not bad suggestions.  I'm talking about a production/arrangement choice that is tremendously prominent in the song and which hearkens back to an older hit (for multiple artists, actually, but the biggest is the one I'm referring to).  The signature "riff", if you will.