Political Cartoons - The Politics Thread.

ROFL BOX

10 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

Are you thick?

I guess; I just thought there had to be more to it than what meets the eye because it seems a pretty straight forward narrative and mediocre comic. I guess it's making fun of George Takei for being a bit out of touch?

On 3/9/2022 at 7:08 AM, workswithseed said:

Screenshot_20220309-050731.png

15 hours ago, TurkeyChew said:

Can you attempt to explain it for the layman who doesn't see a brilliant or gorgeous effort here (for probably ignorance)?

Sure. The art work is extraordinary to me, but I'm not up on Asian cartoons. Maybe it's common place. The faces are very expressive even evocative.

The first frame illustrates that people (like me) thinking of higher gas prices as a small price to pay really don't consider a single mother with children just scraping by. For her, even in her economy turtle, 5-10 dollars a week is a big deal. I've lived squeaking by at times where a gallon of Los Angeles gas meant $4. I'm stung by the first frame because I am not her. I didn't think hard enough about her.

Second frame would be good filmmaking. A long shot to indicate how small she is in this world. It's not just a cartoon making a point, the creator has made me care about her. I don't know that I noticed the land yacht next her on the first pass.

Third frame. This guy states my position. He's creepy with his smile. At first read, I felt it was a caricature of a the simple viewpoint.

Fourth frame invites you to think. He pulls away in his giant SUV pouring filth into the air. Maybe I'm not that guy. There's another dimension to this. The man in the car could do more than make his patriotic donation with broad self-congratulation. He has the means to make a patriotic donation by driving a car of less excessive demand of fuel.

Then the thought occured to me that he could also make a the patriotic gesture of helping a fellow citizen whose patriotism comes at a much greater personal cost. 

His patriotic gesture is trivial. Her patriotic gesture is mandatory and very costly.

Next, I was invited to consider the satisfaction non-Ukrainians get from wearing Uke flag pins or retweeting sweet cartoons of old ladies staring down tanks. We're the guy in the big car. The Ukrainians appreciate international sympathy, but they're the woman with woefully short resources trying to make life work.

It's a thought provoking excercise in interpretation. At least to me. It's not a matter of intelligence. I was interested and moved by the art. Others may not be. It's subjective.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Sure. The art work is extraordinary to me, but I'm not up on Asian cartoons. Maybe it's common place. The faces are very expressive even evocative.

The first frame illustrates that people (like me) thinking of higher gas prices as a small price to pay really don't consider a single mother with children just scraping by. For her, even in her economy turtle, 5-10 dollars a week is a big deal. I've lived squeaking by at times where a gallon of Los Angeles gas meant $4. I'm stung by the first frame because I am not her. I didn't think hard enough about her.

Second frame would be good filmmaking. A long shot to indicate how small she is in this world. It's not just a cartoon making a point, the creator has made me care about her. I don't know that I noticed the land yacht next her on the first pass.

Third frame. This guy states my position. He's creepy with his smile. At first read, I felt it was a caricature of a the simple viewpoint.

Fourth frame invites you to think. He pulls away in his giant SUV pouring filth into the air. Maybe I'm not that guy. There's another dimension to this. The man in the car could do more than make his patriotic donation with broad self-congratulation. He has the means to make a patriotic donation by driving a car of less excessive demand of fuel.

Then the thought occured to me that he could also make a the patriotic gesture of helping a fellow citizen whose patriotism comes at a much greater personal cost. 

His patriotic gesture is trivial. Her patriotic gesture is mandatory and very costly.

Next, I was invited to consider the satisfaction non-Ukrainians get from wearing Uke flag pins or retweeting sweet cartoons of old ladies staring down tanks. We're the guy in the big car. The Ukrainians appreciate international sympathy, but they're the woman with woefully short resources trying to make life work.

It's a thought provoking excercise in interpretation. At least to me. It's not a matter of intelligence. I was interested and moved by the art. Others may not be. It's subjective.

Thanks for the thorough response, it was a serious question because I initially knee-jerked to understanding that cartoon as a "classic leftist elite who is out of touch with society" critique by a right-wing cartoonist riffing off the George Takei (who you amusingly call creepy) tweet*

I figured a cartoon like that wouldn't resonate with what I know of your sensibilities and politics, as gleaned from your posts I have read over a span of time, so that's why I asked for a bit more detail. I didn't expect such deconstruction, and I have to admit to thinking your review dramatic and besotted for my taste, but I can see how you'd appreciate it as you did, by your description.

Thanks!

*https://twitter.com/GeorgeTakei/status/1499883863555858444

Edited by TurkeyChew

Dramatic and besotted? I'd be interested to see the passages that you found to be so. I rarely collect those descriptions.

I was unaware of the Takei quote nor did I recongnize the actor as the character in the drawing. It's a widely held opinion that I basically share. 

Then again, Melania said he is a very potent lover and she has had multiple cocks at a time, all over the world.  Often several a week.  The former First Lady being a cum-guzzling whore of a human.  

As a critical thinker, I reject your assertion. Do we really know she swallows instead of spits?

21 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

Dramatic and besotted? I'd be interested to see the passages that you found to be so. I rarely collect those descriptions.

I was unaware of the Takei quote nor did I recongnize the actor as the character in the drawing. It's a widely held opinion that I basically share. 

Which is the widely held opinion you share? It seems you liked the opinion that Takei was a self-congratulatory creep with a simplified opinion that doesn’t do enough to empathize and capture the reality of the common people via the single mom struggling with the gas? Or you share Takei’s opinion via his tweet? 

44 minutes ago, TurkeyChew said:

Which is the widely held opinion you share? It seems you liked the opinion that Takei was a self-congratulatory creep with a simplified opinion that doesn’t do enough to empathize and capture the reality of the common people via the single mom struggling with the gas? Or you share Takei’s opinion via his tweet? 

I was really looking for you to point out where I'm besotted or dramatic. I would eliminate such features from my writing. You'd be doing me a favor.

Your second sentence has tortured language in the form of a question. I'll do you the courtesy of explaining my position one more time without prejudice toward the possible clumsy strategy that may underpin it.

The widely held opinion I share is that paying higher prices for gas is a tiny price to pay to support Ukraine and harm Russia.

I do not reference Takei nor consider his tweet necessary for my interpretation of the cartoon. He and I do seem to be in agreement on the small price paying extra for gas is for supporting Ukraine.

Takei and I may also have been too unthinking about the cost to those barely making it. The cartoon leads me to reflect on that. What other patriotic acts could be taken for the struggling woman at the gas pump?

Again, Takei's existence isn't germain to my reaction to the cartoon.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

I was really looking for you to point out where I'm besotted or dramatic. I would eliminate such features from my writing. You'd be doing me a favor.

Your second sentence has tortured language in the form of a question. I'll do you the courtesy of explaining my position one more time without prejudice toward the possible clumsy strategy that may underpin it.

The widely held opinion I share is that paying higher prices for gas is a tiny price to pay to support Ukraine and harm Russia.

I do not reference Takei nor consider his tweet necessary for my interpretation of the cartoon. He and I do seem to be in agreement on the small price paying extra for gas is for supporting Ukraine.

Takei and I may also have been too unthinking about the cost to those barely making it. The cartoon leads me to reflect on that. What other patriotic acts could be taken for the struggling woman at the gas pump?

Again, Takei's existence isn't germain to my reaction to the cartoon.

Sorry it’s been a busy weekend. The dramatic and besotted comments were in response to how I perceived your consumption and interpretation of what I thought was a very mediocre comment. It felt like an overreaction and making a big commotion about little details that maybe even the artist himself would mean make.

On 3/11/2022 at 1:43 PM, RomaVicta said:

Well done. 

I'm guessing that you're a fan of Miyazaki's films? 

On 3/13/2022 at 7:37 PM, Asithappens said:

Well done. 

I'm guessing that you're a fan of Miyazaki's films? 

Had to look him up. I'm afraid that I've got a boomer's unwarranted prejudice against animation even though there is some great stuff (Simpsons) out there. I enjoy it when I watch it, but I'm just more inclined to pass on animation than explore it. 

Kind of like milennials feel about black and white, I'd guess. Just about no person cannot enjoy It Happened One Night or The Last Picture Show, but you just about have to drag them to take a look. Long, long ago, a friend played a recording of four Simpsons episodes for me. I was astonished at what I'd missed. Even so, I never made a point of watching it regularly.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll try to force myself. :)