USMNT 2023

ztejas

Tim Weah may be out for the Nations League matches in November.

https://theathletic.com/5013451/2023/10/30/timothy-weah-usmnt/

Timothy Weah is a doubt for the USMNT’s upcoming Nations League quarter-final matches.

The forward picked up an injury during Juventus’s win over Verona at the weekend. He had to be taken off as a substitute at half-time.

Juventus have now confirmed that he has suffered a low-grade tear to the semitendinosus in his right thigh.

While it is not expected to be a lengthy injury, Juventus are only hopeful of the 23-year-old returning in time for the Derby d’Italia — the clash against Inter Milan — after the November international break.

This means Weah is a doubt for the USMNT’s doubleheader against Trinidad and Tobago next month. The two-legged tie will decide whether the USMNT advance to the semi-final stage of the CONCACAF Nations League.

• Hook 'Em 1

https://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=38785196

Herc thinks Gio Reyna is 'done' at Dortmund

Herc Gomez thinks it is a case of when, rather than if Gio Reyna will leave Borussia Dortmund

Gab & Jules say the same: https://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=38778778

Gab says at least go on a loan somewhere so Dortmund can get value for him when he's sold. 

Herc had a lot of double talk there. I get that he called him done, but I'm not really sure what he was trying to say after that.

That said - when Gio is healthy and can go a full 90 (or close to it), I will start evaluating. Even coming off in this game where they were down 2-1 at the break. He's still is coming back from injury and his minute are still limited.

Now, one other caveat to this is the news reports. And I would venture a guess this is very much like the US, where teams can and will leak stuff talking points to the press. So I can't really think something like that is circulating through the press and isn't something that is being leaked by people on the team. So is the team starting to shop him? It sounds like it. And if that is the case, then maybe the points of G&J are spot on and he should look for a loan deal.

27 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

That said - when Gio is healthy and can go a full 90 (or close to it), I will start evaluating. Even coming off in this game where they were down 2-1 at the break. He's still is coming back from injury and his minute are still limited.

You keep saying this - but he was healthy for long stretches last season and they still wouldn't play him even though he was clearly one of their best players.

He needs to leave. 

• Hook 'Em 2

You guys are talking about evaluating his minutes right now, and saying it's time to go. My point is that his minutes are not a part of the story in his state with Dortmund because he is coming off an injury.

When players come back from injury, especially a player like Gio that has a history of injury, they always have their minutes monitored. Gio lost his whole summer getting hurt mid-June, so that brings into question a lot of his fitness to play a full game. The guy hasn't played more that 45 minutes for Dortmund or the US. If Gio played 60/70 minutes for the US, then yeah I say his current minutes are a story. But he didn't, he played a half, just like he has done for Dortmund.

You guys act like he should be going 90 every game, and I don't he can.

Is it time for him to leave Dortmund? Probably. They clearly are leaking news of selling him to the media. And if they are looking into it, then he should be looking to make a move. But that to me is independent of his current time on the field.

I might argue that given that they want to move him, they would want to show he can go 100% as much as they can, to maximize their profit.

1 hour ago, Captain Ron said:

You guys are talking about evaluating his minutes right now

No - I'm not - which is why I referred to his minutes last season. 

He needs to go somewhere that will commit to him and let him be a focal point and not constantly fuck with his confidence. BvB has never had him play consistent minutes at the same position. He's lined up at 4 different positions in 4 fucking games this season. Wtf is that?That has nothing to do with his fitness and that isn't how you handle a guy coming back from injury that is trying to regain form. Honestly maybe he'd be injured less if he wasn't being asked to do different shit almost every time he checked into the game. 

He needs to leave for the same reasons that Pulisic needed to leave Chelsea. Except unlike CP he was still one of the best per-minute players in the BL last season. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 2

45 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

If Gio moves I hope it is to Italy.   

Fuck yes. Join Napoli or Inter so we have Americans on 3 of the top 4.

I also think the more free flowing nature of Serie A suits his game to a T. Watching Juve and AC Milan this year, it's remarkable the places you see Weah, Pulisic, and McKennie pop up in. Musah generally holds his position more than those three but I imagine Gio in Serie A would be all over the place.

5 minutes ago, Pound Town said:

I don't see the problem.  A lot of players be heading to Saudi to play club ball.  It's a natural progression.

Yeah, that's not the issue at all.

Hot as fuck so likely (another) winter WC which fucks with most leagues.

Infrastructure built by slave labor and other human rights issues (again).

Very likely (another) WC sold vs earned.

7 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

Yeah, that's not the issue at all.

Hot as fuck so likely (another) winter WC which fucks with most leagues.

Infrastructure built by slave labor and other human rights issues (again).

Very likely (another) WC sold vs earned.

I agree, you missed the pun.  

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

Herc had a lot of double talk there. I get that he called him done, but I'm not really sure what he was trying to say after that.

To add context I just saw the longer clip and this was at the end of a longer conversation about "which US players are you worried about" due to Pulisic and Weah possibly being injured (confirmed with Weah).

So he was saying that Gio's time at Dortmund is done but he's not "worried" because Gio was likely subbed off due to fatigue as he hasn't played much and then played two halves for the national team and then started for Dortmund. So my read is once he bails he'll get more minutes and this will become less of an issue as he gets fitter. 

Here's the longer clip: 

17 minutes ago, The Dog said:

To add context I just saw the longer clip and this was at the end of a longer conversation about "which US players are you worried about" due to Pulisic and Weah possibly being injured (confirmed with Weah).

So he was saying that Gio's time at Dortmund is done but he's not "worried" because Gio was likely subbed off due to fatigue as he hasn't played much and then played two halves for the national team and then started for Dortmund. So my read is once he bails he'll get more minutes and this will become less of an issue as he gets fitter. 

Here's the longer clip: 

Pulisic is fine btw. 

The third-place game is Saturday v Mexico. I told Mike that it would most likely be a very dirty game.

The loss to Chile was very frustrating. They didn't attack, at all. I think there was one corner, and that's it. No shots on goal. I get patience but, not caution. They didn't give themselves a chance to win.

12 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

The third-place game is Saturday v Mexico. I told Mike that it would most likely be a very dirty game.

The loss to Chile was very frustrating. They didn't attack, at all. I think there was one corner, and that's it. No shots on goal. I get patience but, not caution. They didn't give themselves a chance to win.

Americans always hiring the best managers. Tactical geniuses. 🙄

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 2

9 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

Turner was on the bench today for Forest. It appears he’s lost his job for his howler against Liverpool. 

He may not play again for a while. This is Zack Steffen-level bad.

No way can a manager trust a keeper that could actually do that last week. If that had happened in a film or TV show, people would have rolled their eyes at how unrealistic that gaff was.

9 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

With Weah out, Kevin has a chance for some real minutes in the upcoming camp.

Can Paredes cross with his right foot (if needed)?

I’m all for giving him a substantial run, but he’s left footed and having both wingers inverted can lead to a clogged mid-section. 

On 11/6/2023 at 8:01 AM, Captain Ron said:

Gio was an unused sub this weekend against Bayern. Maybe that’s a good thing as they got their asses absolutely kicked 0-4 at home. Kane had a hat trick. 

and on the bench again against Newcastle today in the CL.

Time to leave.