USMNT 2023

ztejas

10 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Germany’s been a bag of shit for the last  year. Just needed to play against Gregg’s tactics to unfuck themselves. 

I'd love to see your breakdown of all 3 of Germany's goals and how they were a tactical failure of the HC. Not sure you even watched the game, though. 

The back 4 played like shit and they aren't nearly talented enough to do that and not get embarrassed by a side with as much talent as Germany. 

We didn't have TA who typically makes any defense he's playing in front of look better (see: United, Leeds) and our midfield was in a hurry to give the ball away as much as possible. 

I don't care who is managing us - we do not have good options along the back - especially when you get into the 2 and 3 deep. I've been saying this for a long time now. It was our biggest issue in Qatar along with the lack of a decent 9 and our manager being passable on a good day. 

Feel free to criticize Gergg's tactics - but let's not act like that's why we served Germany 3 goals up on a platter today. 

44 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I'd love to see your breakdown of all 3 of Germany's goals and how they were a tactical failure of the HC. Not sure you even watched the game, though. 

The back 4 played like shit and they aren't nearly talented enough to do that and not get embarrassed by a side with as much talent as Germany. 

We didn't have TA who typically makes any defense he's playing in front of look better (see: United, Leeds) and our midfield was in a hurry to give the ball away as much as possible. 

I don't care who is managing us - we do not have good options along the back - especially when you get into the 2 and 3 deep. I've been saying this for a long time now. It was our biggest issue in Qatar along with the lack of a decent 9 and our manager being passable on a good day. 

Feel free to criticize Gergg's tactics - but let's not act like that's why we served Germany 3 goals up on a platter today. 

The thing is that Gregg should understand that his back 4 lacks the talents to just be on that island. Play a different scheme that can't be beat as bad. Has help when they are beat.

Don't get me wrong, the plays as they played out were not on Gregg. But he could have tactically changed things to compensate for their short comings.

• Hook 'Em 2

Disappointing to see the team play relatively well in staking itself to a 1-0 lead ... only to surrender an equalizer with some lazy marking and then completely rollover in the second half thanks to some even lazier marking.

Not sure why or how, but too much of our backline gets caught ball watching or not tracking with a diagonal or not closing out an approaching attacker, affording him yards of space to take a crack at goal.

Offensively, though, saw a great deal of promise in the build-up at times. Hope there will be many more friendlies of this caliber since this team won't be able to gel through the typical CONCACRAP qualifying cycle. 

Anyway, enough sour grapes on my part. That opening goal from Puli was worth the price of admission.

EDIT: And without Turner, Die Mannschaft could've netted five or six goals, easy. Frustrating af.

Edited by Braff Zacklin

4 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

The thing is that Gregg should understand that his back 4 lacks the talents to just be on that island. Play a different scheme that can't be beat as bad. Has help when they are beat.

I'm not even sure what that means. Like what scheme? 

The amount of international managers that could feasibly scheme around our defensive shortcomings on the back line and manage to implement something in the limited windows that we have I can easily count on one hand. 

1 hour ago, Mittens said:

Wasn’t he fired for basically not fitting in with The culture of Bayern, that includes having an affair with a reporter?

On 10/14/2023 at 11:06 PM, ztejas said:

I'm not even sure what that means. Like what scheme? 

Glad to see you’re coming around. I ask myself the same question anytime I watch Gregg coach. 

But seriously, he went back to Berhalter ball in the second half and it was shit. It left the defense in a bad spot. Granted no Gio didn’t help, but we all know Berhalter ball is garbage. 

1 hour ago, Captain Ron said:

Wasn’t he fired for basically not fitting in with The culture of Bayern, that includes having an affair with a reporter?

Glad to see you’re coming around. I ask myself the same question anytime I watch Gregg coach. 

But seriously, he went back to Berhalter ball in the second half and it was shit. It left the defense in a bad spot. Granted no Gio didn’t help, but we all know Berhalter ball is garbage. 

That's very 1950s of you to call "Having a girlfriend who is a reporter." something like "having an affair with a reporter."

This is along the lines of using "gay" to mean "happy"/"joyful".

His girlfriend (or "partner"), who he took to social events for several months, was indeed a reporter. After a while, this got on some people's nerves.

6 hours ago, Napoleon said:

That's very 1950s of you to call "Having a girlfriend who is a reporter." something like "having an affair with a reporter."

This is along the lines of using "gay" to mean "happy"/"joyful".

His girlfriend (or "partner"), who he took to social events for several months, was indeed a reporter. After a while, this got on some people's nerves.

The order of events of his relationships is a little in dispute. Some say he started dating his current GF before he left his wife, others after. But if it was before, I stand by my affair statement. 

I wasn't even thinking about it - but is Antonee hurt right now? He has his shortcomings but Christ he's still a lot better than Scally. 

9 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

It didn't seem like we had much of a plan going forward. Everyone looked hurried and confused. I'll still maintain that the back 4 - and your CBs especially - need to make stops and settle the game down instead of making mistakes and adding to the dysfunction. If we clean some stuff up and Musah puts that header on target it could have been 2-2.

10 hours ago, Mittens said:

How is that dunking on Greg? First - culture and buy-in and keeping the locker room together is sort of hugely important for any sports team. Second - we don't have culture issues. I don't see guys getting unwarranted playing time over better players. We have tactical issues and some positional issues. Those things aren't mutually exclusive and the best coaches succeed with both. Unless you're just being a contrarian cunt, Gerg is has proven to be a good players coach and a poor tactician. 

14 hours ago, Pig Bellmont said:

At this point we won’t fire him until after he fucks our next World Cup run

Exactly, this is a once in a generation opportunity for the USA and he did not earn the right to be here with his shit ass coaching job from the last cycle. We are pissing away a golden opportunity that wont come around again soon. Fuck me. 

• Hook 'Em 3